PDA

View Full Version : New Member + Serotta CDA

vnz00
04-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Hi, I joined this forum to ID a Serotta I recently purchased.
To be honest until 3 days ago Id never heard of the brand so It's a steep learning curve! I don't know if these were ever officially imported to Australia.

However after the first ride I had no doubt this was the right ride for me! Through a catalog search I IDed it as a 2003 CDA in competition red. It's built up with mainly 8spd campy chorus but Id like to upgrade it to 10 speed chorus, the non-carbon version, to maintain a classic look.

The frame is in beautiful shape and after some reading I realise now that I got lucky to buy this exotic. It's sad to hear the company has gone out of business.

Ill post some pics after a ride this afternoon ;) serial no: CD 56 016

Can anyone tell me if 2003 was the first year of production for the CDA?

Regards, Steven.

SpokeValley
04-02-2014, 04:20 PM
How about some pix, Steven!

Welcome :)

vnz00
04-02-2014, 04:38 PM
It's not much of a pic - it's one from the ad

vnz00
04-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Another:

vnz00
04-02-2014, 04:42 PM
And another:

vnz00
04-02-2014, 04:44 PM
I need to do something about that cockpit too - somehow it's ended up with a Pinarello stem, and the color of the bar tape doesn't quite grab me ;) I may go with classic black to be boring!

Keith A
04-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Welcome to The Paceline!

RedRider
04-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your Serotta!

Dromen
04-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Having new members shows us new bike propping elements. Soccer ball, genius.

Once you get the CDA gussied up to your liking, you may not need another bike but as you will discover, Serotta and the like are a bit addictive.

Welcome.

rustychisel
04-02-2014, 07:11 PM
welcome, that one looks like a keeper.

whereabouts in 'Straya are you?

William
04-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Nice find!

And welcome to the forum.:beer:

William

vnz00
04-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Cheers guys, Im located in Brisbane.

RustyChiselAre there many of these in Australia? Did you source yours here?

Im hoping this is going to be the last bike I buy for myself. The tally is up to 5 now, with two being displays, and the rest as riders. Bike rich / time & $ poor ;)

I only rediscovered my love of cycling 6 months ago so Im at a stage where Ive gone from nothing to enough to last a lifetime!

Having said that I can see myself putting a lot of miles on this one. Im really impressed by the thought that's gone into it.

Whats the general consensus on groupsets on Serotta's? Is there a particular preference on Campy/Shimano/Sram?

rustychisel
04-02-2014, 11:48 PM
I don't own a Serotta, as it happens, but since I have one belonging to fiertetimestwo in my bikeroom I get to see a bit of them. And they're great bikes.

They're not unknown in Aus but not at all common. Trek and Cervelo seem to be the Ford and Holden, respectively.

Whats the general consensus on groupsets on Serotta's? Is there a particular preference on Campy/Shimano/Sram?

Oh uh.... I think the consensus on here is that not having Campagnolo on a Serotta is the equivalent of a death sentence to your credibility, well-being, and sense of moral superiority, but there's sure to be one person on here who will tell you SRAM Red is where it's at.

If that happens this thread could go to ten pages of hard fought debate, easy. Do a search through previous related topics.

Best/

fuzzalow
04-03-2014, 05:42 AM
Im hoping this is going to be the last bike I buy for myself.

Of course it will be, there's no problem here it's just everybody else that thinks it's a problem, you can quit anytime you want...;)

Welcome to the forum.

victoryfactory
04-03-2014, 06:31 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I love that CDA
Black tape, I think.
VF

Fiertetimestwo
04-03-2014, 07:21 PM
VNZ00,

I currently have 2 Serottas- both Fiertes- (hence my user name)- one Ti and one carbon- the longer headtube on the Fierte geometry really works for me. My partner has a Nove and I used to have a Hors Categorie which is now owned by forum member BBB in Melbourne.

I bought the Hors Categorie and the Fierte Carbon second hand through the Forum and had them shipped to Australia - one from Oregon and one from New Jersey. Shipping costs were relatively steep, but they were both smooth transactions. Thanks again to IXXI and Veloduffer respectively.

The Fierte Ti I bought (10 years ago next month!) from the only Australian source which was Hendry Cycles in Ocean Grove Victoria. I got the Nove from the Serotta website when they were having a "garage sale" of odds and ends, and it came via Hendry Cycles.

They are great bikes and very rare in Australia, but I think they were well worth seeking out! Hope you enjoy yours for many years.

I have Campagnolo 10 speed on all of my bikes- seems to work well and I think it looks great too.

Cheers,

handsomerob
04-03-2014, 08:13 PM
It's built up with mainly 8spd campy chorus but Id like to upgrade it to 10 speed chorus, the non-carbon version, to maintain a classic look.

Your bike so your rules... But I don't get your logic. I like shiny silver bits more than the average bear but with a carbon fork AND carbon seat stays... I think a "classic" look isn't really feasible. At this point, the carbon equivalent would be cheaper than alloy Chorus. Lastly, although the 8spd shifter shape wasn't my favorite... the shifting was not bettered in later generations ATMO.

And definitely black tape... stat.

Welcome to the Paceline.

vnz00
04-03-2014, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=handsomerob;1525841But I don't get your logic.

Ahh, Im sorta building to two rules - period and availability. Being a 2003 model, campy would have been at 10spd. The 8 speed group on it ATM is a miss match - Mid 90's, prob gen 1 shifters / RD, Record FD and CRecord cranks.

Two weeks prior to buying this a 2005 pinarello paris was added to the collection with a 10spd chorus group attached. Its a decent condition group and since my first love are Pinarellos, I just bought a 10spd record group for it. The paris is a Alu / Carbon, but from factory came with chorus / record 10spd with ally crankset.

I think campy introduced 10spd around the 2000 mark, so either the chorus or record group would be period for it, and Im kinda lucky to have both. The 8spd parts will complete another mid 90's chorus group I have.

I toyed with putting the record 10spd onto the CDA and it may yet happen - black brakes and carbon on the RD would suit it quite nicely but depends on how nice I get the paris looking!

To summarize, its complex ;)

vnz00
04-03-2014, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=Fiertetimestwo;1525819]VNZ00,

I currently have 2 Serottas- both Fiertes

Lucky guy! When I spend more time on mine Ill post better photos. there is a USA bicycle shop sticker on mine where the frame must have originally been bought from.

Which campy groupsets are you using on them and are they carbon versions?

Ive been scouring photos trying to find a decent colour scheme for the red frame. The simpler the better to keep the frame the center of attention. I guess Ill just have to experiment a little :)

Fiertetimestwo
04-03-2014, 11:03 PM
The Ti frame circa 2003 has early 2000's alloy Chorus components, but the crank is an alloy Sugino Alpina compact with a JIS bottom bracket.

The Carbon frame circa 2008 had 2011 Centaur components (carbon shifters), but the crank is a NOS 2008ish alloy Centaur compact with a UT bottom bracket.

My partner's Nove has a mixture of Chorus and Centaur, with carbon shifters.

I also have a Pegoretti Duende circa 2008 with 2006 carbon Record components.

I am spoilt, I know.