PDA

View Full Version : Rails vs Assaults? Advice please?

makoti
04-02-2014, 10:03 AM
I’m getting a new frame & decided to get new wheels to go with it. I think I’ve narrowed it down to two.
1) Reynolds Assault SLG
2) November Rail52 (or the newer 34’s. Ok, three. :rolleyes:)
I’ll have a couple of more “everyday” wheels, so these will not get daily wear, if that matters

Does anyone have any direct experience with these wheels? Can anyone compare them for me? Braking of each in wet?
Cost is close, depending on how fast I move.
Can get the Reynolds now, four weeks for the Rails. I have an event (Assault on Mt Mitchell) coming up that I’d love to have these for, so I need to order now if I do the Rails.
Weights appear to be pretty close.
I’m 5’10”/155lb. Don’t race, but like to push my rides.

If you know the Rails…what hub do they have? Experience with the house/Novotech hubs? I am thinking of upgrading to the Whites, but that adds almost $200. Worth it? Or are the house hubs pretty nice?
And if you are on the side of the Rails, the older 52’s? Or the new 34’s? I’m thinking that losing the aero advantage of the 52’s might not be worth the weight savings & (to me) better look of the lower profile 34’s. Agree? No? I mostly ride rolling, short steep hill stuff, but would go the Blue Ridge on these often.

Lastly, just to muddy the waters….both these are clincher. I would do tubulars (did years ago. They don’t scare me. Well, no real desire to go back, but I would). Any wheels in tubular you would toss in the mix? Gotta be about the same price (<$1800). If either of these came in T’s (Assaults DO, but I can’t find them), I’d likely go that route. Would love to save the weight.

I’ve spoken with & emailed both companies & have been impressed with who I talked to a Reynolds, but blown away by the emails I’ve gotten back from Novemeber. Fast, detailed, personal, and helpful. So I am comfortable with the CS aspect of each company.

Thanks. Gotta get on this pretty quick.

ultraman6970
04-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Probably the only difference are the rims.

Who makes the rims for reynolds? gigantex?

If you want to go tubular and you arent racing and at your weight you can get a set for a lot less money at ebay, or even built your own wheels maybe?

sokyroadie
04-02-2014, 12:06 PM
I assume you are looking for ShimaNO hubs, November does not have any Novatech Campy hubs and you have to upgrade to WI.

I am still contemplating which wheelset I am going with, I would also consider Boyd's wheels which are the same price but have a better replacement policy in the event you crash.

I know Ergott recommended them above your picks.

Jeff

makoti
04-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Probably the only difference are the rims.

Who makes the rims for reynolds? gigantex?

If you want to go tubular and you arent racing and at your weight you can get a set for a lot less money at ebay, or even built your own wheels maybe?

Not sure who makes rims for either, and honestly it doesn't bother me that I don't know for Reynolds, but does for November. Makes no sense, but it's true.
I thought about building. I've built several sets of wheels, but never carbon. Not sure what (if any) differences there are in doing that & am just more comfortable with letting someone else do it.
It feels like I've been living on ebay, lately. ;-)

makoti
04-02-2014, 01:02 PM
I assume you are looking for ShimaNO hubs, November does not have any Novatech Campy hubs and you have to upgrade to WI.

I am still contemplating which wheelset I am going with, I would also consider Boyd's wheels which are the same price but have a better replacement policy in the event you crash.

I know Ergott recommended them above your picks.

Jeff

No, Campy & it looks like you can get Novotechs. You add $18, which you do for either hub set. At least, that's how I read it. I'll email them & update this.
Doesn't Ergott build with November rims? I thought I read him saying he really liked them.

sokyroadie
04-02-2014, 01:09 PM
No, Campy & it looks like you can get Novotechs. You add $18, which you do for either hub set. At least, that's how I read it. I'll email them & update this.
Doesn't Ergott build with November rims? I thought I read him saying he really liked them.

I talked to them a couple of weeks ago and they do not have anymore Campy hubs, you have to upgrade to WI. They also said when they use all the Shimano hubs they are going to WI as standard.

Jeff

ultraman6970
04-02-2014, 01:12 PM
This is the thing... if you go with enve rims will are tlaking about a lot of dough, but even if you snap a eyelet they will send you a new rim (from what I heard).

The other option, use miche rc2 campy hubs (100 bucks)... and then at ebay there is this company from NC I believe that imports asian rims like for 150 bucks a pop, add spokes (100 more) and you can have a set for less than 500 bucks and built as you want.

At CL seen zipp sets for reasonable price aswell.

Not sure who makes rims for either, and honestly it doesn't bother me that I don't know for Reynolds, but does for November. Makes no sense, but it's true.
I thought about building. I've built several sets of wheels, but never carbon. Not sure what (if any) differences there are in doing that & am just more comfortable with letting someone else do it.
It feels like I've been living on ebay, lately. ;-)

sokyroadie
04-02-2014, 01:31 PM
and then at ebay there is this company from NC I believe that imports asian rims like for 150 bucks a pop,

Link please?

Jeff

Liv2RideHard
04-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Have you considered Boyd? Boyd makes some fantastic wheels. Rims and hubs are sourced from Taiwan. Build by Boyd in South Carolina. I ride/race on his carbon tubulars, road and CX. He is very responsive and stands behind his product. I highly recommend Boyd.

RedRider
04-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Reynolds makes their own rims. The Assaults are made in their own factories in Asia. The higher priced Reynolds rims are made in the US.

makoti
04-02-2014, 03:37 PM
I talked to them a couple of weeks ago and they do not have anymore Campy hubs, you have to upgrade to WI. They also said when they use all the Shimano hubs they are going to WI as standard.

Jeff

Ahhh. The site still offers the option. Hmmm.

makoti
04-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Have you considered Boyd? Boyd makes some fantastic wheels. Rims and hubs are sourced from Taiwan. Build by Boyd in South Carolina. I ride/race on his carbon tubulars, road and CX. He is very responsive and stands behind his product. I highly recommend Boyd.

I have. Boyd, Williams, psimet. Hadn't checked out his tubulars, though. I'll have a look. Thanks.

ariw
04-04-2014, 07:57 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=146181