PDA

View Full Version : Rear Blinky Recommendation

msl819
04-01-2014, 10:07 PM
Tuesday night is interval night. My rear light is a Blackburn Mars 4.0. It has been a good light but it is on its last leg. What do you guys use? Do you go for replaceable AAA or self-contained rechargeable? Suggestions? I like my lights to be seen.

CAAD
04-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Light and Mouton vis180. This light is just about a permanent fixture on my bike. Long run times and super bright.

ceolwulf
04-01-2014, 10:12 PM
I've never encountered anything more attention-getting than my Planet Bike Superflash Turbo (http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3070.html).

bluesea
04-01-2014, 10:22 PM
I had a Dinotte 400R (external batt), and currently have the 300R (internal batt.) -- both highly recommended.

My main go to for rides up to 3 hr is the Niteflux Redzone 8, which has superior side visibility. Your personal levels of peace of mind may vary.

Ssalmon
04-01-2014, 10:29 PM
I like my Serfas Thunderbolt; it mounts to a seatstay or seatpost, it is USB rechargeable, and it has a super bright flash mode.
https://www.serfas.com/products/view/669/referer:products|index|lights|tail-lights
It holds a charge for a good amount of time too.

donevwil
04-01-2014, 10:29 PM
The Light and Motion and Dinotte are excellent. You should decide if you really want only a rear or a combo front/rear. I have a L&M 360 plus and it's incredible.

joosttx
04-01-2014, 10:43 PM
I second the 400r Dinotte. I have both the 300 and 400r and I prefer the external battery. It's just easier to recharge and stuff. Only problem with both is they may be too bright.

Love the serfas thunderbolt too.

Louis
04-01-2014, 10:45 PM
A while back I got a Cygolite Hotshot 2W USB (link here) (http://www.cygolite.com/products/hotshot_2w.html) primarily for daytime and right around sunset use and it's been great. I love it.

rwsaunders
04-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Light and Motion vis180. This light is just about a permanent fixture on my bike. Long run times and super bright.

I bought one of these last Fall as it received good reviews and I liked the fact that I could recharge it and it is made (at least assembled) in the US. While it works well in general, don't plan on riding for more than 30-45 minutes when temps are below 35 degrees and hope to have the main (red) light still work.

I even wrote the manufacturer about it and they advised me that lower temperatures affect the battery's power output...you don't say. So when the colder temps hit, I use the trusty and reliable Blackburn Flea.

Joe
04-01-2014, 11:27 PM
It's the only rear light I've ever used, so I can't compare to anything else based on personal experience. I haven't timed precisely, but it seems to run at least six hours between charges. My own preference was for an internal battery, and I don't find that it's inconvenient to remove the light for charging. Nicely made, comes with a variety of mounting brackets, and I've received several comments about how bright and visible it is.

Except for group rides, it's on every time I ride.

Saguaro
04-02-2014, 12:51 AM
I like my Cygolite Hotshot. The 2 Watt LED is super bright and its not expensive.

professerr
04-02-2014, 01:10 AM
Cygolite for me too. At 2 watts, it is step up from my previous Planet Bike Super Turbo at about the same size and weight. Rechargeable battery seems to last a long time.

572cv
04-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Read this before a cup of coffee as " rare Bilenky recommendation" :) outrage! Everyone who has ever dealt with them recommends Bilenky.... Then, recognition of error.... That's very different, never mind:p

thwart
04-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Blackburn flea has served me well.

Very light, very bright.

Hank Scorpio
04-02-2014, 06:43 AM
I use the knog 4v plus although I currently lost it somewhere in my apt. Pretty good runtime between charges the only thing I don't like is that the angle of display is not adjustable.

FlashUNC
04-02-2014, 06:46 AM
Any of the Lezynes. They have rechargeable models and a small blinky now that takes a watch battery. Solid stuff.

saab2000
04-02-2014, 06:58 AM
Don't waste your money on cheap rear lights. They give a false sense of security.

The best, by far, is the Dinotte. It's visible during the day, riding into the sun. I know this because I've driven up behind someone who had one on his bike. Additionally, my experience riding with my 400R is that traffic gives me a wider pass. This is totally anecdotal but I'd swear it's the truth. I had a driver pull up beside me once and tell me how much he thought my light made me more visible and safer.

This is not, however, a light for group rides or riding at night at its brightest setting.

I also use a Light & Motion Vis180. The strap mounting system is imperfect but it's also a pretty bright light.

The Cygolite is decent too.

We spend thousands on our bikes and then hesitate to spend on a good rear light. That has always confused me.

Cheap ones, like we see on group rides, are virtually invisible more than a few feet back and give a false sense of security.

El Chaba
04-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Note: If you have a rear blinky light, turn that effin' thing off in broad daylight. I am going to start removing them as I ride by, and I ain't giving them back.

Lewis Moon
04-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Knog Blinder four LED.
...and I do sometimes run my lights during the day for the same reason that a lot of cars have daytime driving lights. It makes you a bit more visible in congested situations. You don't want to remove my light. Seriously.

http://slayingthebadger.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/ofs_hinault_fights_03_12038.jpg

christian
04-02-2014, 07:59 AM
I did hill repeats last night with my Dinotte 300R. It's like being chased by a sunset.

yummygooey
04-02-2014, 08:25 AM
i use a PDW Radbot 1000 with rechargeable AAA's. works fine for me and it's fairly affordable.

Ahneida Ride
04-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Dinotte 400 red rear light ...

Great light ... Highly recommended

druptight
04-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Chalk another one up for the Hotshot. It's the jam.

This site does very good and fairly comprehensive reviews: http://bicycles.blogoverflow.com/2013/09/best-bike-tail-lights-review/

TJack1214
04-02-2014, 08:41 AM
If you have a seat bag with a strap to accommodate a clip-on light, the USB charged Blackburn Flea has been a great light for me. Small and produces a very visible light. About 6hrs run time.

metalheart
04-02-2014, 09:12 AM
I don't ride at night, but I use a Dinotte 300R for all my solo daytime rides. On my infrequent group rides, I turn the light off unless I am the lantern rouge in the group.

pdmtong
04-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Knog Blinder...almost as powerful as the LM 180 but half the price

kestrel
04-02-2014, 06:03 PM
I've had a Topeak Whitelite DX USB charged lights front and rear red for several months now. Very cheap and easily mounted on any bike in about a minute.
Usually recharge every 8 to 12 hours of runtime.

I also like my Planet bike superturbo flasher as mentioned by CEOLWULF.

Ahneida Ride
04-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Don't waste your money on cheap rear lights. They give a false sense of security.

The best, by far, is the Dinotte. It's visible during the day, riding into the sun. I know this because I've driven up behind someone who had one on his bike. Additionally, my experience riding with my 400R is that traffic gives me a wider pass. This is totally anecdotal but I'd swear it's the truth. I had a driver pull up beside me once and tell me how much he thought my light made me more visible and safer.

This is not, however, a light for group rides or riding at night at its brightest setting.

We spend thousands on our bikes and then hesitate to spend on a good rear light. That has always confused me.

Cheap ones, like we see on group rides, are virtually invisible more than a few feet back and give a false sense of security.

I could not agree more ....

With the Dinotte .... Cars give me more room. No doubt about it.
I've even had drivers thank me for the light!

Ahneida Ride
04-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Great link to compare light outputs

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/mechBgon/media/IMG_0573.jpg.html

Click the right arrow and see all 3 images. You'll see just how bright the Dinotte is.

joosttx
04-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Here's my story...
I own both the 400R and 300R. First, I would recommend either one to anyone who wants to the brightest rear tail light on the market. After having both I am surprisingly favoring the 400R. I thought I would prefer an one-piece internal battery over and external battery system. Why I prefer the 400R is because it is smaller in size. The 300R is long, wide and deep which sums up to be a little too big for me. The 400R is now made with a quick release so that aint an issue anymore. And as for the external battery pack I fasten it under my saddle or put in a saddle bag. Either solutions hides the battery.

In March, I was riding on a road at night, doing some intervals. I had a standard blackburn rear tail light flashing. A cop pulled up and told me to get off the road because no one could see me and I told him I had my rear light flashing and he repeated himself.

I did not argue anymore. I realized the cop was trying to help me and not hassle me. I guess when you have a newborn you mellow a bit. So, I bought the 400R that night. Would you know it, I riding the same rode at night with the 400R flashing a couple of weeks later and guess what same cop pulls up next to me and complemented me on my bright rear light and ask me the brand and make. Not sure he recognized me but the cop felt that the 400R made it safe enough to ride on the road.

bluesea
04-02-2014, 09:09 PM
I could not agree more ....

With the Dinotte .... Cars give me more room. No doubt about it.
I've even had drivers thank me for the light!

Its telling that there are numbers of reviews of Dinotte taillights which recount the same, and its probably happened to most of us here as well.

pjm
04-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Note: If you have a rear blinky light, turn that effin' thing off in broad daylight. I am going to start removing them as I ride by, and I ain't giving them back.
Mine is on all of the time, any time of day. I'm gonna do anything I can to get the attention of the texting morons and save my ass.

Another Dinotte 300R user here - amazing light and I got mainly because it is easily seen in broad daylight from far off.

Bob Ross
04-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Only because it hasn't been mentioned yet: I've been using a Niterider Solas for the past ~10 months or so, and it's been fantastic. Annoyingly visible when it's on its highpower mode (either steady or flashing), but it offers lowpower modes for paceline riding. Looks like a Planet Bike Superflash in terms of form-factor but is much more visible from a distance and even more visible from the side. And it's USB rechargeable, which I've come to prefer over replacing batteries.

Highpowernut
04-03-2014, 09:49 AM
I've got a serfas rechargeable , I like it. But after seeing the photos of brightness I might switch .

I really prefer rechargeable over buying batteries.

Some people wonder if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan

crownjewelwl
04-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Only because it hasn't been mentioned yet: I've been using a Niterider Solas for the past ~10 months or so, and it's been fantastic. Annoyingly visible when it's on its highpower mode (either steady or flashing), but it offers lowpower modes for paceline riding. Looks like a Planet Bike Superflash in terms of form-factor but is much more visible from a distance and even more visible from the side. And it's USB rechargeable, which I've come to prefer over replacing batteries.

have you had good luck with the clamp? mine has a tendency to slip a couple of notches during a ride...

just ordered the dinotte!!

Fixed
04-03-2014, 10:19 AM
I use the knog 4v plus although I currently lost it somewhere in my apt. Pretty good runtime between charges the only thing I don't like is that the angle of display is not adjustable.
i have this broke both ft. and back rubber bands
had for a couple of months worked well
cheers

potatochip
04-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Big fan of Portland design works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onekgguy
04-03-2014, 02:47 PM
When using a taillight, do you have them on steady or flashing? I just spoke with the rep at Dinotte and he told me that it's not legal everywhere to use them in the flashing mode. I'd like to use it on high intensity during the day for some longer rides but I'm concerned that I'd run out of battery life if I were to keep it on steady.

Thanks!

Kevin g

fiamme red
04-03-2014, 03:00 PM
I really prefer rechargeable over buying batteries.Try using a Planet Bike Superflash with Sanyo Eneloops rechargeable batteries. There batteries are amazing: you can leave them sitting around for a few weeks and they don't lose their charge.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/eneloop-sec-hr4u8bpn-8aaa.html

onekgguy
04-03-2014, 08:15 PM
When using a taillight, do you have them on steady or flashing? I just spoke with the rep at Dinotte and he told me that it's not legal everywhere to use them in the flashing mode. I'd like to use it on high intensity during the day for some longer rides but I'm concerned that I'd run out of battery life if I were to keep it on steady.

Thanks!

Kevin g

I found the statute online for Minnesota and they allow red flashing taillights. I just placed my order for a DiNotte. Thanks for the tip, Saab2000!

Minnesota statute 169.222 Subd. 6 (c) A bicycle may be equipped with a front lamp that emits a white flashing signal, or a rear lamp that emits a red flashing signal, or both.

Kevin g

saab2000
04-03-2014, 08:49 PM
I found the statute online for Minnesota and they allow red flashing taillights. I just placed my order for a DiNotte. Thanks for the tip, Saab2000!

Minnesota statute 169.222 Subd. 6 (c) A bicycle may be equipped with a front lamp that emits a white flashing signal, or a rear lamp that emits a red flashing signal, or both.

Kevin g

Dinotte lights, at least my old-style with the external battery pack, have many modes and the nice thing about them is that one of the modes is a steady with a flash while it's on. It's actually a great light for Minnesota roads as they are wide open and you will be spotted from a mile back.

This picture was taken while on a quick break on today's ride near ORF, which is controlled by Wash Center. It was probably between flashes on the steady/flash mode. It's several years old but is still tops. I bought it used and will buy a new battery when I have to. It's an excellent light IMHO. You won't be sorry. It's brighter than pretty much all the cheaper lights. I've never heard of anyone regretting buying one of these.

Contact Approach on 1xx.xx

Bob Ross
04-04-2014, 06:07 AM
have you had good luck with the clamp? mine has a tendency to slip a couple of notches during a ride...

Mine hasn't moved since I installed it...it's on the drive side seat stay above the brake bridge.

Ahneida Ride
04-04-2014, 08:17 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0zx1dn1zqwmitw/DSC_0824.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qw5skuuamaiqln/DSC_0846.JPG

Above is 2 images of my Dinotte Setup .... I also run with the Amber Daytime light up front.
Battery for the 400R is in the Caradice zipped Roll. Wire runs thru the brass grommet.
Light is attached directly to the frame via the internalized rack mounts. Very neat installation

Battery for the front light is in the small Brooks leather bag.

Dinotte makes a super version of the 400R for day time only.
I don't recommend this .... the 400R is bright enough.

The Dinotte can overwhelm drivers ....... especially at night .... might be a good idea to aim down a bit.

Cars can see it 1/2 mile back. (or more)

I always run the Dinotte in the daylight.

onekgguy
04-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Dinotte lights, at least my old-style with the external battery pack, have many modes and the nice thing about them is that one of the modes is a steady with a flash while it's on. It's actually a great light for Minnesota roads as they are wide open and you will be spotted from a mile back.

This picture was taken while on a quick break on today's ride near ORF, which is controlled by Wash Center. It was probably between flashes on the steady/flash mode. It's several years old but is still tops. I bought it used and will buy a new battery when I have to. It's an excellent light IMHO. You won't be sorry. It's brighter than pretty much all the cheaper lights. I've never heard of anyone regretting buying one of these.

Contact Approach on 1xx.xx

Roger that! Mine was shipped out this morning and should be here just in time for the 7" of snow we got last night to go byebye.

Jexbrah
04-05-2014, 02:38 AM
I was looking for some blinkies as well and was considering the lezyne femto drive lights. What do you guys think about them, any good?

bluesea
04-05-2014, 08:44 AM
300R

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/9417531961_85447527c5_z.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3716/9417534603_a0911186bc_z.jpg

JAGI410
04-05-2014, 09:11 AM
This is what I have and use...

Superflash with Eneloops = great, but no retroreflection

Radbot = fantastic, but shuts off with low voltage instead of getting dim, which has left me without rear lighting a couple times, but thankfully there is retroreflection

Fenderbot = Crap. Looks cool, but worthless as a safety item outside of a reflector.

L&M Vis180 = Love it, and has worked great for me at -20F. The button is sometimes annoying to press.

B&M Secula Plus = perfection, and no batteries or buttons!

crownjewelwl
04-07-2014, 12:55 PM
dude...the 300R is HUGE!!

onekgguy
04-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I just opened up my Dinotte 400L and plugged it in. I should've known better than to look right at it while I turned it on. My vision is still messed up. This is gonna do the trick me thinks!

Kevin g

greenrositti
04-07-2014, 07:31 PM
The mods should make this thread into a sticky. Great job, folks. Thanks!

onekgguy
04-07-2014, 08:16 PM
I've got mine charged and ready to roll. I put the battery pack in my seat bag. It's pretty clean. Here's a short video (https://vimeo.com/91373213) of some of the various modes.

I think this is going to make me so much more visible out there. it surely can't hurt.

Thanks for this thread!

Kevin g