PDA

View Full Version : :-( Super Bummed

1happygirl
04-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Super Bummed

It had been a dream of mine to cycle tour and take a cycle touring Intro class with a major cycling organization.
Prior to joining this organization I had called several times for information and. lets just say the telephone presence was less than enthusiastic.
I just thought wow, if I worked for a not-for- profit, for members, I would be so excited to go to work every day, a beaming smile would be heard through the phone. Especially since it's dealing with cycling.
Anyway, I signed up for the tour and with trailer, lots of equipment, ready to go.
Then something happened. My parents were hit in my car by an 18 wheeler in my car I had loaned them. One of the reasons I moved back closer was to help with them and with this happening, needless to say, I had to cancel the trip.
I know it could've been much worse, so I'm grateful and feel bad complaining about anything but Mom will need therapy (at her age she was shook up pretty good) . Others have it worse, however super bummed about missing the tour of a lifetime for me but family first.
I called the tour leader and they were super helpful about saying call headquarters and maybe I can get into another tour.
I called headquarters. The person I talked with said no credit. This person told me stories about others whose parent(s) had died during tours and they went back on the tour. I was kinda made to feel like sorry they weren't hurt worse (or at least that's the impression I got). It would compromise the organization if I were to receive credit, they said. They had already spent time and money.
I'm sorry, but it's a camping tour. Campground style. Can that be $600 worth? I was told I could pay full price and sign up again sometime.
I guess I don't understand. What would Southwest Airlines do (or another organization with great customer service rep)? I didn't ask for or want a refund or even full credit. I really feel bad about taking up a spot that another person would have used and I apologized to the person for their time but would have thought at least some consideration maybe $100.00 at least credit towards another "tour class" or something. As the person I talked to said," heh, heh I guess this doesn't leave you with a very good opinion of our organization now"
I guess not, so after I got off the phone and finished crying (as much about my parents and the money as the tour). I decided to find another organization to become a lifetime member and tour with.

Thanks for listening my to me as my second family, Paceliners.

PS the guy was ticketed for making a right hand turn from the left lane (ahem, into my parents)
and violation for being in a residential area.
PPS My Mom kept telling me the driver was "so mean" over and over, so I was worried about head injury stuff. He didn't even ask if they were hurt. people amaze me. I was too sheltered.

pbarry
04-01-2014, 08:05 PM
This is sad news. Prayers your mom's way for a full recovery. Call your CC company for a charge back on this. The "touring" company probably has a litany of similar behavior.

93legendti
04-01-2014, 08:14 PM
I am so sorry about your parents. I hope they will recover quickly and fully.
I am sorry to hear about the organization.

Nothing will replace the $, except maybe your CC co., but if there is any "silver lining" it sounds like this tour co. was all wrong for you. Find a better company and try to do it when your parents have recovered.

A lifetime is a long time...

vqdriver
04-01-2014, 08:16 PM
wow, that really sucks on both fronts. not sure what the commentary is on people these days but my experiences somewhat echo your own in that humanity and common courtesy aren't so common anymore.

best of luck to your parents in their recovery.

1centaur
04-01-2014, 08:19 PM
One of the great things about the Internet (other than this forum) is that shoddy personal treatment does not need to stay between the treater and the treatee but can be shared with the world and cost the treater many, many times what the treater "thought" he was saving. This makes the world better for the next person.

You may not feel like payback now, but find the appropriate venue in a calmer time, tell the whole truth, then let the organization know that they made a mistake, starting with the person or people at the top, and suggest better training and better policies will make them more successful. I note that you said it was a non-profit. That's too bad, because the profit motive would make this move far more effective and more satisfying. But bad service exists in many forms in non-profits as well and deserves the light of day.

Best of luck with your parents.

Peter P.
Can you transfer your registration to someone else i.e., sell your spot on a bike forum, eBay, etc. and perhaps gain some of your money back?

I was unable to ride D2R2 last year but had already registered. I contacted the organizers and asked if I could transfer my spot to someone else.

I was quickly able to sell my registration to another Paceline forum member.

wc1934
Total bummer - sorry to hear about your parents - hoping them a full and speedy recovery. Can you stop payments? Talking to a peon on the phone may not get the best results - letter/call to a supervisor might be more fruitful.
Your dream trip will eventually happen, but maybe not as originally planned - best of luck.

gasman
Oh man that is a really bad deal. Not only was your Mom almost killed but then the "touring company" rubbed salt in the wound. If you did use a credit card do try to get a refund and find another company. It might also help if you "outed" the company here. I would also relate your experience on Yelp,Google + or other social sites you can think of to warn others of your experience.

avalonracing
04-01-2014, 08:31 PM
It sucks when you can take a Happy Girl and make her Super Bummed Girl.

The tour company sounds like they are di*ks. Yes, I know they are running a business but goodwill goes a long way in the end.

Glad your parents are okay. My father and stepmother were hit by a drunk driver in the middle of the afternoon last year. They are both okay though (surprisingly if you see their totaled car).
It is also good that you are there to help take care of them so in the end you are there for what is important. I took a long sabbatical from work when my mother was fatally ill. It was tough, and it cost me a lot more than money in the end, but I do not regret the time with her and I wish that I would have had more.

weisan
04-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Happygirl-pal, I am so sorry to hear what you just went through. A stark reminder that this could happen to any one of us at any time, even the best among us. Here's hoping for progressive recovery and healing for your mum and for you, dear pal, growing resilience and maintaining big-picture optimism and courage.

soulspinner
04-02-2014, 05:42 AM
Hang in there. You weren't too sheltered, the world isn't always a nice place, often I am thankful I wasn't born in a war torn area, or have a disease that ravages me. Keep the rubber down.

rnhood
04-02-2014, 06:00 AM
Very sorry to hear about your parents but, they always come first so help and enjoy them while they are here. They can't be replaced like a car or tour.

I agree with "pbarry", call or write your credit card company and ask of a charge back. Its likely they will not contest it, not to mention it being morally wrong. You certainly have a legitimate excuse for needing to cancel.

Find a credible tour company down the road when time is appropriate, or better yet map out a tour with two or three friends. I think this often works the best and is ultimately more enjoyable.

moose8
04-02-2014, 08:38 AM
You can always try the attorney generals office of whatever state the touring company is in. Most have a consumer complaint line that can be surprisingly effective in helping individuals. No company wants to be on the ag's radar screen so sometimes they are more willing to come to a resolution where you get a third party involved.

El Chaba
04-02-2014, 08:45 AM
I say name the company....They may change their mind re the refund if they get a bunch of emails from here, etc....Also, if they have a facebook page, put your story on it....Don't feel guilty about holding them accountable for poor customer service and being heartless....

redir
04-02-2014, 09:01 AM
That sucks on all kinds of levels. Glad you still have your parents with you.

dbrown
04-02-2014, 11:40 AM
I say name the company....They may change their mind re the refund if they get a bunch of emails from here, etc....Also, if they have a facebook page, put your story on it....Don't feel guilty about holding them accountable for poor customer service and being heartless....

I think she pretty much did identify the "organization" she joined for the Introduction to Touring camping class. Do they have a refund policy that was published when you signed up? I agree that I'd write or email the director of the organization and ask if there isn't some way you could get a credit. Maybe they have a waiting list and someone else is able to take your place.

Veloo
04-02-2014, 12:31 PM
I'd get in touch with the owner/ founder/ senior staff member and talk to them about the incident. I'd keep it very civilized and approach it like - "I really admire the organization, was looking forward to the whole trip but not quite sure if the approach this one person took was truly representative of what you'd like for your organization. Is there anything you can do at all?"

Playing devil's advocate, perhaps the person's story about other tour members having a death in the family was just their way of saying, "yeah we've heard all the excuses to get out of this tour."

This has worked for me the majority of times in the past. I find folks definitely appreciate the constructive feedback vs a "You suck" conversation. I've come out on the positive a few times.

Just my $0.02.

merlinmurph
04-02-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm sorry about your parents and wish them well in their recovery.

Write a letter to the president of the organization, and send a copy to any other names you can come up with - PR, marketing, etc. Write a very nice letter. No whining, just explain what happened. Explain how much you were looking forward to the trip, how your dreams are shattered, but your parents come first. Say you'd love to take a trip with them some other time, Again, no whining, just lay it all out.

Follow up with phone calls

See what happens.

If nothing good happens, then out the organization. When you do, maintain your emotions and just explain what happened. A fiery rant just makes people look immature and significantly reduces your credibility.

I wish you luck, and again, I wish your parents well.

unterhausen
04-02-2014, 08:28 PM
I never really had much of an opinion of Adventure Cycling since the bikecentennial days. Back then, almost everyone on a Bikecentennial tour would come into the shop saying how horrific the route had been for the couple hundred miles before they got to where I was in Virginia. I don't have enough information to say more, but after all these years it seems like they could have a humane cancellation policy.

1happygirl
04-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Thank you all for the kind replies, thoughts, prayers and helpful suggestions. I have been trying to get to appointments for Mom etc.

Totally tarnished my feelings and excitement when I get a 'bike bits' email in my inbox every other day or so. I hate that.

So originally I called the tour leaders who were very empathetic (as I said) and suggested I call headquarters. One leader gave a name of a person (the director) or talk to anyone.

I called and the named person was busy. Talked to receptionist and then transferred to a worker who said I needed it in writing.

So amongst all medical/legal /calls I emailed as directed and immediately got response back from worker I talked to. Sorry to hear about parents/sign up again sometime/etc, no credit, transfer, or refund.
I called back and asked for director who was then available.
I remained mostly quiet except asking about anything that could be done,
said “he deals with 1,800 cyclists at a time, told me the stories about people's family dying but yet they went back on tour after a hiatus (Um, I started conversation by saying I felt bad for asking as other people have it worse but does that mean (I said to myself, listening) I SHOULD FEEL BAD THAT MY PARENTS WEREN’T HURT WORSE?), that it would compromise the integrity of the organization and people that didn't think to plan by taking necessary steps with insurance, etc shouldn’t be helped, that funds and resources have already been spent on my behalf.
I understand no refund/and at a late date maybe no transfer, but i certainly think 50% ($300) or any credit towards an upcoming tour would be fair.
I had been reading crazy guy on a bike lately and following a blog by people called the Grampies (touring Grandparents). They bought a map recently and then got an email that it had been updated due to unsafe sections.
The Grampies called headquarters. They were on tour and this organization wouldn't help them. They didn't offer anything. Not emailing a new section, faxing or telling directions. They could buy a new map to be mailed to them. They called back to reiterate they were ACTUALLY on the road. Could they do anything? (I think crazy guy readers got involved)
So it should not surprise me if someone else experienced difficulty over a $5 map this was the answer to my bad situation?
As has been said, maybe this isn't the right tour for me. Sure doesn't feel like it now but hopefully this will pass. This was on the dream list and it makes me sick to my stomach to open the email or website that has great stuff to read and an organization that was supposed to be working for me.

Thank you for listening and letting me share. It means more than any amount of money.

Keith A
04-03-2014, 10:10 AM
I too am sorry to hear about all the problems from the tour company, and especially about your parents and hope your mom is able to recover to her former self.

You would think in today's competitive market, that this tour company would want to do their best in maintaining good customer relations and public image. But either they just don't care enough about this or are making enough money that brushing off a customer here and there doesn't matter to them.

csm
04-03-2014, 06:44 PM
So this was Adventure Cycling? I'm now second-guessing my renewal that is soon due....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD