PDA

View Full Version : Red Hook Crit images

bcroslin
04-01-2014, 07:21 PM
NYT has a nice image gallery (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/sports/cycling/cyclists-compete-in-brooklyns-red-hook-criterium.html) from the Red Hook crit last weekend.

Ramon
04-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Nice. On the 3rd image what kind of tape is that?

William
04-02-2014, 09:45 AM
A little bamboo spotted there. I think he won it as well. A bit of Stanridge Speed in there as well.

William

izzyfuld
04-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Stanridge makes a really nice track bike.
His ISP is sooo nice.

ultraman6970
04-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Hipsters alert!

:p

benb
04-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Yah is this something regional or are all continental pros massively inked up now? The article implied this was a pro race but it didn't look like the normal crowd.

William
04-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Hipsters alert!

Now now....:no: ;)

Hey, a bunch of folks willing to go out and hammer in a group, in the pouring rain, are alright in my book.:)

William

katematt
04-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Yes a Frenchman took the title on a custom made bamboo bike. Impressive, although as a mtn biker he said the rain suited him.

http://pelotonmagazine.com/feedzone/frenchman-reigns-over-red-hook/

A little bamboo spotted there. I think he won it as well. A bit of Stanridge Speed in there as well.
William

benb
04-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Ah.. didn't realize this was a fixed gear race, that explains the ink.

Gotta love the french winner talking about his sensations.

breukelenvr6
04-02-2014, 03:14 PM

Hey, a bunch of folks willing to go out and hammer in a group, in the pouring rain, are alright in my book.:)

William

I saw the races. It was a real soaker, cold and wet... and I've got nothing but respect for the guys and gals who competed under the conditions. Nobody was leaving anything on the table :) If you've got Instagram, lots more pics can be seen with the hashtag #redhookcrit

Here's a crash compilation from a prior race. Yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6UZVXot4lg

fiamme red
04-02-2014, 03:16 PM
I saw the races. It was a real soaker, cold and wet... and I've got nothing but respect for the guys and gals who competed under the conditions. Nobody was leaving anything on the table :) If you've got Instagram, lots more pics can be seen with the hashtag #redhookcrit

Here's a crash compilation from a prior race. Yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6UZVXot4lgWhat was the crash in the woman's race that made them restart it?

breukelenvr6
04-02-2014, 03:26 PM
What was the crash in the woman's race that made them restart it?

There were 2 crashes I know of. I only saw the first one involving 3 riders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-fi5MWbXTQ

I didn't see the second one, but from pics on Instagram it was a yard sale with multiple riders maybe 5 or 7... plus the rain really picked up right after that.

"With 5 laps to go, a serious crash occurred at the chicane as Team Rockstar's Shane Ferro crashed out while trying to avoid a lapped rider. Race directors immediately stopped the race, restarting 10 minutes later to complete the final three laps. The break gave everyone a chance to regroup and rest a little, but also time to reflect on the tricky course conditions. The final laps saw some intense racing. Jo Celso, a San Diego native riding for the Wolfpack Hustle team took the win, breaking away at the end to take victory."

ptourkin
04-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Hipsters alert!

Jo Celso is an amazing athlete and cancer survivor who rides on my home track (the San Diego Velodrome) and wins against men. She's also very fast on the road.

Let's see what kind of lap time you could do out there fixed (or not.)

Got any more smart comments?

tiretrax
04-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Jo Celso is an amazing athlete and cancer survivor who rides on my home track (the San Diego Velodrome) and wins against men. She's also very fast on the road.

Don't take it too seriously. I appreciate RHC and own some of their kit. I laughed at the comment, especially when viewing the NYT pics. I sometimes ride with those types, and they poke fun at their facial hair, hidden piercings, and tatts.

eBAUMANN
04-02-2014, 05:55 PM
pretty much any mainstream media piece about anything having to do with cycling, let alone "fixed gear" events like red hook is gonna be a laughable read, which is why I didn't even bother reading it.

as someone who has completed in 3 RHC's and photographed/spectated a couple more, i can tell you that while the race can attract a "hipster" crowd (and some competitors) the race is no joke.

its also one of the best organized races I've ever been a part of and likely the most fun I've ever had racing a bike on pavement.

zzy
04-02-2014, 07:33 PM
its also one of the best organized races I've ever been a part of and likely the most fun I've ever had racing a bike on pavement.

Most people have NO IDEA how stressful this year's race was to organize. The last minute time change and constant attention to rider safely in the worst of conditions was massively difficult. Everyone did a great job and it took major balls to get out there and race brakeless in those conditions. I hope Shane heals up quickly in time for the track season. I cannot believe there weren't more accidents.

ultraman6970
04-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Not saying that, just throw that one to check up reactions :) And looks like I got one :)

Cool tho, in the rain and stuff :)

William

ultraman6970
04-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Well, i have a lot of coments in my repertoire to be honest with you :D

The problem with your comment is that you are still assuming that I never been even close to a track. The reality is that I started racing track at 12 y/o and retired 100% of cycling at 24 y/o, that's like 12 years of almost exclusive track racing.

The other problem with what you are assuming is that I'm almost 50 now, have like 70 pounds of overweight and I ride like 10 times per year. Why in the world I would go to race with 20 y/o kids under the rain?? I was like 25 just getting off retirement I would have done it but at 50? no way jose!.

Well no idea how long the lap was, and I was never that good but as a reference, been in 2 panams (1 junior and 1 adult), at 17 my best 1 KM standing start was 1:12.. that is descent time, at 25 y/o i was able to do 1:09 that is descent after all with 50x15, taking in consideration that i was not using any aero nor carbon paraphernalia guys use now a days. In the road using my road bike (steel with 6 speeds) my best was 56 secs, you have to consider that you have more gearing, road is smoother and sometimes is not flat but you have some up and down slope, so pretty much have the hang of what is full gas TT, sprints or even 50Km per points finals, and those are the closest I know of the real Inferno.

About the girl, well don't know her, don't know you either so can't assume things you know :) No idea if she is at national team level or what, never seen her, neither know who are the guys she is competing against either, but one thing for sure, you have to put the things in perspective aswell. Not the same win weekend warriors while being under a strict training plan than go and fight a national tittle against the bests in the country. Don't take me wrong either ok? Just trying to put the things in perspective you know. One thing is sure tho, for a cancer suvivor she is doing great, and i can see why you are proud of her, and in that I do agree with you.

I apologize if the word hipster bothered you, but you can't deny many look like one :D And that was the reason of my comment.

Good luck, hope one day I go to san diego. But don't expect from me to do a 30 secs (assuming 333 velodrome) per lap, can't do that at all, but still can ride no hands in the banks tho :)

William
04-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Yowza!

When all else fails....duck and cover.:eek:

William

54ny77
04-04-2014, 03:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJEGkhSRVE8

This is great video, but NSFW commentary by the bystanders (but funny as heck if you're listing at home).

Red Hook crit riders got CAJONES for even being out there. Kudos to everyone who started at the line.

William
04-04-2014, 04:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJEGkhSRVE8

This is great video, but NSFW commentary by the bystanders (but funny as heck if you're listing at home).

Red Hook crit riders got CAJONES for even being out there. Kudos to everyone who started at the line.

That is a wicked chicane right there! A hard right with an immediate hard left...at speed...in a group....and a man hole cover right in the turn. Crazy crazy crazy....that's why I liked crit racing so much.:)

William

bcroslin
04-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Yowza!

When all else fails....duck and cover.:eek:

Where'd you find that image?

btw - the video from last years race is bananas. I've heard stories and even done a few fixed crits but that corner is stupid.

William
04-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Where'd you find that image?

btw - the video from last years race is bananas. I've heard stories and even done a few fixed crits but that corner is stupid.

Follow the link...:)

https://www.facebook.com/thepacelineforum

William