PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: Bay Area bound

FlashUNC
04-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Well all, looks like after a half-decade here in the Queen City and a bit of an NC homecoming, The Boss and I will be picking up stakes and moving West. She's been accepted to a grad program at UC-Berkeley that we couldn't be more impressed with. A weekend visit to the city and campus confirmed our sneaking suspicions that it'll be a great place for us.

And I hear the bike riding ain't bad either. Thanks to akelman and elefantino and others I've consulted privately over the last few weeks on this potential move.

I'll be downsizing the fleet a bit, but considering adding a commuter or mountain bike to the mix given the types of riding out there. If anyone has any recommendations for routes/shops/etc in the East Bay, I'm all ears.

And of course, if any Bay Area folks want to get together later this year with a guy who takes hills very slowly, I'm game.

MadRocketSci
04-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Hey Flash,

Congrats on your upcoming move to Berzerkely....Berkeley Bowl for groceries, Kirala for Japanese/Sushi, Breads of India for Indian (duh), Cha Am for Thai, Zachary's for Chicago stuffed pizza. I've not ridden as much out there but I liked the Grizzly Peak Century route:

http://www.grizzlypeakcyclists.org/century/Combined_Map.pdf

just take BART to the start.

I'm sure others more local can give you better info and less"touristy" choices for those of us formerly from the peninsula.

Fear the tree, beat Cal :)

Ben

zetroc
04-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Welcome to the East Bay! Check out Stone's Cyclery in Alameda, Rapha Cycle Club in SF, Montano Velo in Oakland, and I remember hearing that Freddie Rodriguez is opening a cycling club near UCB but haven't checked it out yet.

Also, make sure you do Pinehurst. It hurts but the scenery and the descent are worth it.

joosttx
04-01-2014, 04:33 PM
You are going to love the summers. Congrats

nrs5000
04-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Welcome to the East Bay. It's a great place to ride bikes, surrounded by more great places to ride bikes.

schneiderrd
04-02-2014, 10:51 AM
You are going to love the summers. Congrats

The winters are none to awful shabby either compared to the East Coast.

poff
04-02-2014, 11:04 AM
If you harry up you can do Nifty 1050 with us this weekend which will take you over some of the steepest EB hills: Mozer, Marin, South Park, Claremont, Hiller, Centennial (from UC campus to Grizzly Peak) and others for total of 10K in 50m. As a UC employee I welcome you here :)

illuminaught
04-02-2014, 11:14 AM
What day is the niffty?
Meet at the base of of Moeser?

FlashUNC
04-02-2014, 11:41 AM
If you harry up you can do Nifty 1050 with us this weekend which will take you over some of the steepest EB hills: Mozer, Marin, South Park, Claremont, Hiller, Centennial (from UC campus to Grizzly Peak) and others for total of 10K in 50m. As a UC employee I welcome you here :)

Given that I can do a 50 mile loop here in Charlotte and barely scratch 2k feet of vertical gain, I'm both looking forward to and dreading the hills. Drove up Potrero Ave in El Cerrito over the weekend and was both stunned by the views and the gradient.

Any decent group rides I should keep an eye out for?

MadRocketSci
04-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Hills rule, especially Bay Area ones....you're in for another level of excitement for your riding :beer:

check out the areas between Santa Cruz and Woodside when you get a chance!

tmf
04-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Congrats on your move! I lived in the East Bay (Walnut Creek) and Central Valley (Tracy) for about seven years. My favorite road riding was in and around Marin County, Napa & Sonoma Valleys, and Contra Costa up and around Mt. Diablo.

For mountain biking, the East Bay hills near Berkeley and Oakland are great. Mt. Diablo and the Morgan Territory have tons of fire road trails.

I moved away about 12 years ago, so things may have changed for the better or worse.

R2D2
04-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Happy for you but sad to hear you are leaving.
Be sure to make some time to have a farewell pint or two or three......

eddief
04-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Big, fun, engaging bike club. Lots of scheduled rides each month of all levels:

http://www.grizzlypeakcyclists.org/

No need to join in order to go on our rides, just come out and meet the folks. Joining is good too.

On a week day = up Mt Tam from Mill Valley then back down via Fairfax. About 3500 feet in 40 miles = all good.

Given that I can do a 50 mile loop here in Charlotte and barely scratch 2k feet of vertical gain, I'm both looking forward to and dreading the hills. Drove up Potrero Ave in El Cerrito over the weekend and was both stunned by the views and the gradient.

pdmtong
04-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Given that I can do a 50 mile loop here in Charlotte and barely scratch 2k feet of vertical gain, I'm both looking forward to and dreading the hills.

Figure on 1000' for 10 miles most rides. You won't see many std /11-23 set ups.

norcalbiker
04-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Well all, looks like after a half-decade here in the Queen City and a bit of an NC homecoming, The Boss and I will be picking up stakes and moving West. She's been accepted to a grad program at UC-Berkeley that we couldn't be more impressed with. A weekend visit to the city and campus confirmed our sneaking suspicions that it'll be a great place for us.

And I hear the bike riding ain't bad either. Thanks to akelman and elefantino and others I've consulted privately over the last few weeks on this potential move.

I'll be downsizing the fleet a bit, but considering adding a commuter or mountain bike to the mix given the types of riding out there. If anyone has any recommendations for routes/shops/etc in the East Bay, I'm all ears.

And of course, if any Bay Area folks want to get together later this year with a guy who takes hills very slowly, I'm game.

Congrats!!!

Let us know when you guys are here. Many good roads to ride.

Btw, you can't be any slower than me. I was climbing Mt Diablo not to long ago and I was going so slow, my Garmin did an automatic pause.

FlashUNC
04-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Big, fun, engaging bike club. Lots of scheduled rides each month of all levels:

http://www.grizzlypeakcyclists.org/

No need to join in order to go on our rides, just come out and meet the folks. Joining is good too.

On a week day = up Mt Tam from Mill Valley then back down via Fairfax. About 3500 feet in 40 miles = all good.

That's awesome. I'll definitely look you guys up once we get settled.

Figure on 1000' for 10 miles most rides. You won't see many std /11-23 set ups.

I'm already looking at compacts and big ol gears for the rear. My 53-39 might be consigned to the dustbin...

Waldo
04-02-2014, 01:27 PM
What day is the niffty?

Nifty is on April 6. Here's its web page (http://www.niftytenfifty.com/) and FB page (https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/352705871536296/). I am out this year with a busted wrist.

Waldo
04-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Snip... Hey Flash,
Fear the tree, beat Cal :)
Ben

The bear pees on the tree... :):):)

Duende
04-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Grizzly Peak is an amazing ride...

So is this:

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/piedmont-ca/rockridge-tunnel-road-pinehurst-moraga-o-route-375609

Also Tiburon loop with a side jot to Hawk Hill.

Bike stores...

American Cyclery
Montano Cycles

In regards to gearing... The days of 42/21 are long gone. I'm sporting a Compact 34/25. Somedays I wish for a 27, but usually I can tough it out.

MadRocketSci
04-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Snip...

The tree thanks the bear for the water and nitrogen....now, how bout some scat??? :)

our cowbell players are better than yours! :p

Waldo
04-02-2014, 04:06 PM
The tree thanks the bear for the water and nitrogen....now, how bout some scat??? :)

our cowbell players are better than yours! :p

Need some pine nuts to produce scat, please.

Cows don't attend Cal, but, apparently, there are plenty on the Farm... :-)

Bostic
04-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Nifty is on April 6. Here's its web page (http://www.niftytenfifty.com/) and FB page (https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/352705871536296/). I am out this year with a busted wrist.

Yikes, Nifty 1050 is already here? I think I will leave the 11-28 on. I did this ride last in 2011, missed the last two years. I used my low of 30x25 and 30x28 a lot.

http://www.strava.com/activities/388433

Waldo
04-02-2014, 04:52 PM
I groveled in 30x28 a lot last year. Hopefully, roads will be dry on Sunday. Nothing like climbing Marin on a wet day.

enr1co
04-02-2014, 04:52 PM

I'm already looking at compacts and big ol gears for the rear. My 53-39 might be consigned to the dustbin...

Cool- we'll have to plan a welcome ride when you get in town :cool:

Have been riding on both sides of Highway 24 the past couple weeks...Skyline, Pinehurst, Reliez Valley, Happy Valley, Pig Farm, the Bears.
Havent dared to go up Wildcat Cyn to Tilden yet. :eek:
... Compact w/ 12-29 in the rear is definitely your friend here.

weaponsgrade
04-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Welcome! The Rapha store in SF has route sheets for rides in Marin. Several shops also lead rides. I know at least sports basement, Rapha, and bespoke do. I think early registration for the Marin century just opened up.

jtakeda
04-02-2014, 08:54 PM

Pshhh. I'll take your 53-39s. Also any Berkeley related question, I got ya. Have spent waaay too much time there.

CaptStash
04-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Snip...

True dat.

Go Bears!

PS: Come join me this August for my annual Sonora Pass sufferfest from Pinecrest (Lair of the Bear, Camp Blue) to the top of the pass and back. Beautiful scenery, perfect roads, no traffic and a stupid hill that just goes straight up.

gaucho753
04-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Welcome to the East Bay and congrats to your wife on her acceptance to UC Berkeley grad school!

In addition to the Grizzley Peak Cyclists, you may also want to look into the Berkeley Bicycle Club: http://berkeleybike.org

Lots and lots of organized rides depending on your schedule and where you want to ride.

I also live in Berkeley. The bay area has a lot to offer and I'm still learning about great rides. That said, IMHO, I think you'll find the best nearby riding is up & over (or along) the hills toward Skyline/Grizzly Peak in into Orinda and beyond. I find myself find going up Spruce and down Wildcat Cyn., or Tunnel Rd. toward Pinehurst Rd a lot to get away from the city traffic and into the more open roads. It can get really hot out there in the summer. Lot of "micro-climates" in the bay area and weather can change quickly. Mt. Diablo is a jewel of a climb. Bikes are now allowed on the BART trains, so you can easily hop on a train and head toward other parts of the SF Bay Area quickly.

Montano Velo in North Oakland (Piedmont Ave) and Stone's Cyclery in Alameda are both great. If you are near campus, I don't have any complaints about Missing Link Co-Op (more commuter/student crowd with friendly honest staff and free drop-in work stations) or Mike's Bikes at University Ave. Wrench Science is also good for high end gear.

Fixed
04-03-2014, 01:05 AM
One of the best in the world
Hey I live really close to rapha
I will buy you a cup of coffee anytime
Cheers

roydyates
04-03-2014, 06:23 AM

Grizzly Peak Duros West ride. Every thursday, a different Marin/Sonoma/Napa route with hills, vineyards, rivers, ocean. You just need to plan your life so Thurs is an off day.

fuzzalow
04-03-2014, 06:37 AM
Congratulations on your move FlashUNC. Your new residence is one of the finest venues for riding to be found in these here United of States and one a right-coaster looks at in envy.

In keeping with your new NorCal milieu, your Paceline moniker is vibrationally discordant with the new grounding of your corporeal and spiritual residence. This upsets your aura and energy symmetries greatly. There's this girl I know who knows how to ameliorate the imbalance with crystals. In keeping with my more conservative approach, I recommend Psilocybin. I find mind expansion to be far more harmonious to restabilizing life force redirections than the passive effects of crystals. If you'd rather not ingest, I heard pyramid therapy works wonders. Let me know how I can help.

tmf
04-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Another great thing about the Bay Area is that the weather is perfect for riding very close to 365.25 days per year. I didn't really notice it until I moved away. Great temps and usually little precipitation.

A fun ride (road or MTB) is to climb up Mt. Tam on a day with heavy fog. You'll see just the tops of the GG bridge, Sutro tower and some SF buildings poking through.

FlashUNC
04-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Congratulations on your move FlashUNC. Your new residence is one of the finest venues for riding to be found in these here United of States and one a right-coaster looks at in envy.

In keeping with your new NorCal milieu, your Paceline moniker is vibrationally discordant with the new grounding of your corporeal and spiritual residence. This upsets your aura and energy symmetries greatly. There's this girl I know who knows how to ameliorate the imbalance with crystals. In keeping with my more conservative approach, I recommend Psilocybin. I find mind expansion to be far more harmonious to restabilizing life force redirections than the passive effects of crystals. If you'd rather not ingest, I heard pyramid therapy works wonders. Let me know how I can help.

I was just thinking that I'll need to be re-align and expand my spiritual horizons. An excellent suggestion.

The Amboy Dukes can provide the soundtrack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN2VNFpiGWo).

poff
04-03-2014, 10:15 AM
What day is the niffty?

April 6, B group starts @ 8:30 from base of Mozer.

Uncle Jam's Army
04-03-2014, 01:04 PM
The riding out of Woodside is phenomenal. Congrats Flash!

downtube
04-03-2014, 08:08 PM
There is great riding all over the bay area. The hills that ring the bay offer many fantastic rides. Also just over the hill from berserkly there is a whole valley filled with great riding destinations. You won't be bored.
chuck

maxn
04-04-2014, 12:02 PM
You'll love it -- so much great riding. I'll add a fourth vote for Montano Velo.

bikingshearer
04-04-2014, 03:12 PM
FlashUNC - Welcome to the Democratic People's Republic. Prepare for culture shock, mostly good and certainly interesting. Also, be prepared for sticker shock on housing costs. If this isn't the most expensively area for housing costs in the USA, it's on the very, very short list.

If you are seriously concerned about being too slow on the hills, I will cheerfully ride with you. I have triple chainrings on all my bikes, with a 30x29 low on most and a 26x26 on one - and I use them. A lot.

You will adjust of the climbs and even learn to like them is surprisingly short order. I am a big boy and no kind of climber and still do them (well, most of them - you will never catch me riding up Marin - it just too stupid steep for too long). Why? Because that's where the pretty stuff is.

As far as riding is concerned, road or mountain, this is God's country. And I hear Cal is a fair-to-middlin' school, too. :p

Cool- we'll have to plan a welcome ride when you get in town :cool:

Have been riding on both sides of Highway 24 the past couple weeks...Skyline, Pinehurst, Reliez Valley, Happy Valley, Pig Farm, the Bears.
Havent dared to go up Wildcat Cyn to Tilden yet. :eek:
... Compact w/ 12-29 in the rear is definitely your friend here.

Hey, if you can go up the northside Pinehurst climb to Skyline, you can do Wildcat Canyon. Wildcat is significantly easier.

enr1co
04-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Hey, if you can go up the northside Pinehurst climb to Skyline, you can do Wildcat Canyon. Wildcat is significantly easier.

To clarify- I descend down Pinehurst :)
(my ride was from San Ramon/Dublin/Castro Valley up to Skyline down Pinehurst back home thru Moraga, Lafayette, Danville)

Elefantino
04-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Great news! We await your welcome and we can have some great rides!

Two things to clear up, though:

1) I am the slowest climber here (even on the Look)
2) Performance in Walnut Creek has to be on anybody's list of go-to shops! :D

bikingshearer
04-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Great news! We await your welcome and we can have some great rides!

Two things to clear up, though:

1) I am the slowest climber here (even on the Look)
2) Performance in Walnut Creek has to be on anybody's list of go-to shops! :D

In response to your two points:

1) No, you're not; and
2) No, it doesn't.
:D

Anarchist
04-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Tell the truth, this is only because that stunning Della Santa was feeling homesick ....... ?

FlashUNC
04-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Tell the truth, this is only because that stunning Della Santa was feeling homesick ....... ?

Completely.