PDA

View Full Version : You gotta give the hand wave

fiamme red
03-31-2014, 08:01 PM
http://assets.amuniversal.com/c379560086c80131054a005056a9545d

Black Dog
03-31-2014, 08:18 PM
I kinda feel the same way about greeting other riders. If you get the wave, return the wave. NOt saying you have to be the waver, but if you are the wavee, then a return wave is a nice gesture of basic courtesy & humanity.

bewheels
04-01-2014, 01:52 AM
I kinda feel the same way about greeting other riders. If you get the wave, return the wave. NOt saying you have to be the waver, but if you are the wavee, then a return wave is a nice gesture of basic courtesy & humanity.

But why not say you need to be the waver - or at least a head nod.
I can understand if you ride in an where you pass a steady stream of people.
I can understand if you are in the middle of an intense work out.
I can understand if there is traffic.
But I don't get the people who are obviously "real cyclist" that completely ignore another cyclist when passing by.

soulspinner
04-01-2014, 06:01 AM
You can always compromise and give the fingers up while still on the bars.....you wont feel as bad when ya get no return wave. I look at the rider and if the eyes lock (checkin out your ride) then wave....:bike:

holliscx
04-01-2014, 06:24 AM
In my experience people who ride the least are the ones who post on forums about cyclists not waving back. A lot of guys receiving said waves have been riding year round and come spring, look there's Fred riding his Trek, waving.

keevon
04-01-2014, 07:54 AM
...look there's Fred riding his Trek, waving.

I ride year round and I'm not above waving to oncoming riders, regardless of how "serious" they look. A little common courtesy goes a long way.

Skream
04-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Waving? Seriously? Do us all a favor and keep your hands on the handlebars please.

A simple nod is more than adequate for acknowledging a fellow rider.

Saint Vitus
04-01-2014, 09:56 AM
I ride year round and I'm not above waving to oncoming riders, regardless of how "serious" they look. A little common courtesy goes a long way.

In the south, it's part of the landscape among car drivers...

Sometimes I acknowledge people, sometimes I don't. I usually nod if I do.

Black Dog
04-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Waving? Seriously? Do us all a favor and keep your hands on the handlebars please.

The point is not weather it is a wave or a nod or a finger lift. It is the reciprocation of the greeting gesture.

Black Dog
04-01-2014, 10:04 AM
In my experience people who ride the least are the ones who post on forums about cyclists not waving back. A lot of guys receiving said waves have been riding year round and come spring, look there's Fred riding his Trek, waving.

So what if there is a "Fred" waving at a "serious" rider. He/she is on a bike and enjoying the experience of being on a bike and they are as much of a cyclist as anyone else. Why would someone think that they are a better person than them and they are not worthy of any attention? Some of us have 100 of thousands of miles on the bike and still can manage to not take ourselves so seriously that we refuse to say hello to others.

Seramount
04-01-2014, 10:06 AM
really...? a waving thread?

I give the chin lift to some riders, if I feel like it and am not focused on something else like holding a line, avoiding hazards...

waving to every person on a bike is like acknowledging everyone else who also wears shoes...hey bro! we both have things on our feet!

awesome bonding experience...

lovethesport
04-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Sometimes a nod is the only way because by the time you wave back the cyclist going the opposite direction is already past you. Hand wave, two fingers off the handlebar, Nod.. or a casual hello when passing someone.... Hey man "que pasa"... it all works

William
04-01-2014, 10:12 AM
I always give a little nod and a very slight wave...;)

lovethesport
04-01-2014, 10:14 AM
I always give a little nod and a very slight wave...;)

Classic!

BumbleBeeDave
04-01-2014, 10:36 AM

God forbid you might lower yourself. :rolleyes:

BBD

paredown
04-01-2014, 10:38 AM
I ride on country roads mostly and it is almost surprising to see another human being, let alone a cyclist.

I will acknowledge any form of greeting and try to reciprocate--often say hello in those rare instances when I pass someone--or the more usual, when being being passed.

Yeah, and I am probably a Fred now.

Steve in SLO
04-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Hello, my name is Steve and I am a Fred.

I wave to fellow cyclists.
I wave to fellow motorcyclists.
I even give the inverted two finger salute to motorcyclists while I am riding my bike.

Sometimes I even smile at them.
I am beyond help.

fiamme red
04-01-2014, 11:00 AM
This thread was really more about waving to courteous drivers.

When I'm on my bike and a driver yields to me, I'll generally acknowledge it with a wave, nod, or smile. It's a small gesture that creates good will.

CaliFly
04-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Smile and wave.

oldpotatoe
04-01-2014, 11:12 AM
God forbid you might lower yourself. :rolleyes:

BBD

Must be that time of year, already had the helmet thread, which group is best thread, have we had the tubular thread?

fuzzalow
04-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Must be that time of year, already had the helmet thread, which group is best thread, have we had the tubular thread?

Every bike forum thread, despite best efforts to be otherwise, is a "Ground Hog Day" rehash of what came before. As every parent knows from children's behavior, there is comfort & security in repetition.

ceolwulf
04-01-2014, 11:29 AM

What time of year is best for a Rapha thread?

oldpotatoe
04-01-2014, 11:42 AM
What time of year is best for a Rapha thread?

Any time of year!! Or just after ya missed the sale....MSRP baby!!

MattTuck
04-01-2014, 11:50 AM
The cartoon is about acknowledging a kind gesture. Yes, do it.

As for waving to other cyclists, I just shake my elbow at them. I see the pros doing it.

holliscx
04-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Waving to people you pass on a bicycle is no different than if you were to wave at every person you pass walking down the sidewalk.

HenryA
04-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Waving to people you pass on a bicycle is no different than if you were to wave at every person you pass walking down the sidewalk.

You must see a lot of bicycles where you ride.

flydhest
04-01-2014, 03:07 PM
sorry, i thought this thread was about the end of a massage.

yakstone
04-01-2014, 06:23 PM
I like the motorcycle wave where every motorcyclist they pass gets a low hand wave.
I drive a VW Jetta and do the low wave at other Jetta drivers - hasn't seemed to catch on yet.

Tony T
04-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Secretary of State Wave:

http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Kerry-Bicycle-e1339431103318.jpeg

Opps, went political, close the thread :)

Frankwurst
04-01-2014, 06:42 PM

Now that would be something! A thread about a rare musical instrument on a bicycle forum. :beer:

soulspinner
04-02-2014, 06:12 AM
sorry, i thought this thread was about the end of a massage.

:p