PDA

View Full Version : Gran Fondo NY

breukelenvr6
03-31-2014, 04:49 PM
I just signed up today for the Gran Fondo NY which is May 18. PSA: deadline is today before the next price increase! Yup it's 300 bucks, hope it's worthwhile. Anybody been in the past? Any pointers or opinions on the course and crowd? This is my first big road ride, other than the 5 boro which was fun but kinda sucked too.

cfox
03-31-2014, 06:55 PM
Lot of money to ride a pretty ordinary course with eight gazillion of your closest friends. Like all things NY, if you don't live there, the logistics of getting you, your car and your bike situated there are a complete pain in the ass. Not trying to discourage you, it's just not for me. They make a huge deal of being able to ride over the GW; it it really that special? The whole thing would be easier if they just started across the bridge. They add a lot of headache just to make it more "New York".

paredown
04-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Don't know what it is like to ride it, but I volunteered last year at one of the feeding stations.

It was nasty weather last year (cold & rainy) and we were at that point in the course where a lot of people thought about how far to the finish and decided to abandon. The few people that I got to talk and joke with a little (between epic sandwich production) seemed to really be enjoying themselves nonetheless.

I think parts of the route are pretty great, seeing that it passes within a block or so of my house (:)), and the part of the route going up Bear Mountain and down the backside (my usual ride route) is really beautiful IMO. Riding across the GW Bridge is also pretty cool, even on the sidewalk--that old Hudson is a damn big river.

Probably not volunteering this year; not sure my back would stand being bent bent over making sandwiches but I think it would be a fun event to try out.

54ny77
04-01-2014, 08:20 AM
i knew folks who journeyed to do it and had an awesome time.

when something like that is in your backyard, your perspective is different.

the ride is what you make of it, i guess. some just can't see thru the half empty glass.

looks like fun, and a nice jersey as souvenir.

redir
04-01-2014, 08:24 AM
I can't imagine being surrounded by that many cyclists of various levels of skill O.o

My only advice would be to get up front and ride like the wind to stay away from the riff raff.

Why do you say 5 boro sucked?

RedRider
04-01-2014, 09:24 AM
I can't imagine being surrounded by that many cyclists of various levels of skill O.o

My only advice would be to get up front and ride like the wind to stay away from the riff raff.

With Campagnolo as the lead sponsor it must be good! But seriously, what started out as a bit of a joke among NYC cyclist (who would pay to do the 9W training ride?) has turned into a recognized international event. The promoter has taken the name NY Gran Fondo to other countries for other rides with success.
It's the polar opposite of the 5 Boro Bike Ride. They have a VIP group of local racers and celebrities that will set a fast pace at the start and others behind trying to catch up. It's a timed event. It has well supported rest stops and mechanics on motorbikes. Local bike shops and businesses have joined in promoting training rides and making it an annual event. There are KOM & QOM sections with nice prizes for winners. It's probably the most commercial ride I've ever seen with "official" bikes (DeRosa) and tons of branded merch. Not sure how they get volunteers when it's clearly a very for profit event.
It's not an easy course and you probably should ride it at least once before or at least be familiar with the route. Have fun.

paredown
04-01-2014, 10:29 AM
... Not sure how they get volunteers when it's clearly a very for profit event....
Well, we volunteered because Rockland County (and our town of Haverstraw) are like the red-headed stepchildren of the Metro NYC area, and there are a bunch of us doing what we can to get people to come visit, discover Harriman State Park, and hopefully spend some money and maybe even move up here.

The GF is a big deal for a depressed local economy.

Oh, and they kicked through a goody bag for all of us, including a bottle of wine (brewed by the organizer's vineyard if I remember correctly.)

RedRider
04-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Well, we volunteered because Rockland County (and our town of Haverstraw) are like the red-headed stepchildren of the Metro NYC area, and there are a bunch of us doing what we can to get people to come visit, discover Harriman State Park, and hopefully spend some money and maybe even move up here.

The GF is a big deal for a depressed local economy.

Oh, and they kicked through a goody bag for all of us, including a bottle of wine (brewed by the organizer's vineyard if I remember correctly.)

Good to hear. That's what these rides should be about. If successful the local hotels, restaurant, etc. should be rolling out a red carpet for the next event. Win, win for all. The Tour de France started as a travel promotion...

breukelenvr6
04-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Lot of money to ride a pretty ordinary course with eight gazillion of your closest friends. Like all things NY, if you don't live there, the logistics of getting you, your car and your bike situated there are a complete pain in the ass. Not trying to discourage you, it's just not for me. They make a huge deal of being able to ride over the GW; it it really that special? The whole thing would be easier if they just started across the bridge. They add a lot of headache just to make it more "New York".

I do live in the area, so it was an easy incentive, but I can see that it might be a challenge for a lot of folks. Yes, it's not cheap... and I realize it's about the overall social experience than just the route. I'm just hoping it's a good one (with good weather unlike last year)

breukelenvr6
04-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Don't know what it is like to ride it, but I volunteered last year at one of the feeding stations.

It was nasty weather last year (cold & rainy) and we were at that point in the course where a lot of people thought about how far to the finish and decided to abandon. The few people that I got to talk and joke with a little (between epic sandwich production) seemed to really be enjoying themselves nonetheless.

I think parts of the route are pretty great, seeing that it passes within a block or so of my house (:)), and the part of the route going up Bear Mountain and down the backside (my usual ride route) is really beautiful IMO. Riding across the GW Bridge is also pretty cool, even on the sidewalk--that old Hudson is a damn big river.

Probably not volunteering this year; not sure my back would stand being bent bent over making sandwiches but I think it would be a fun event to try out.

Yup, hoping the weather will be good this year :)

breukelenvr6
04-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Good point, that was my exact frustration and experience at the 5 boro. It was fun, but it felt dangerous at times to be around people who've never ridden in groups, which was the sucky part. I'm thinking that the Gran Fondo attracts a slightly more serious rider so at least there is the greater likelihood of better control and road etiquette.

breukelenvr6
04-01-2014, 12:37 PM
With Campagnolo as the lead sponsor it must be good! But seriously, what started out as a bit of a joke among NYC cyclist (who would pay to do the 9W training ride?) has turned into a recognized international event. The promoter has taken the name NY Gran Fondo to other countries for other rides with success.
It's the polar opposite of the 5 Boro Bike Ride. They have a VIP group of local racers and celebrities that will set a fast pace at the start and others behind trying to catch up. It's a timed event. It has well supported rest stops and mechanics on motorbikes. Local bike shops and businesses have joined in promoting training rides and making it an annual event. There are KOM & QOM sections with nice prizes for winners. It's probably the most commercial ride I've ever seen with "official" bikes (DeRosa) and tons of branded merch. Not sure how they get volunteers when it's clearly a very for profit event.
It's not an easy course and you probably should ride it at least once before or at least be familiar with the route. Have fun.

Great tips, thanks!