PDA

View Full Version : Minimum chainring with Campy front derailleur -- MTB crankset?

danield
03-31-2014, 03:25 PM
Can I run an MTB crankset (e.g. FSA 42-27 double, or 44-30 if i can find one) on my Campagnolo Veloce equipped cross bike, using the normal Veloce double front derailleur, assuming I'm within the proper parameters of chain capacity for the derailleurs (I'd be using a medium cage rear derailleur)? I've seen a "minimum chainring" size value of 34t published in some of the Campy documents, but it seems to me it should work.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I can't seem to find it in searching the forums or google for that matter.

TIA!

cp43
03-31-2014, 03:38 PM
I can't say for sure for Campy, but I ran a 42-22 crankset with an Ultegra double FD for a while, it worked fine. It didn't shift as well as with a standard crankset, but it was more than good enough.

Chris

oldpotatoe
03-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Can I run an MTB crankset (e.g. FSA 42-27 double, or 44-30 if i can find one) on my Campagnolo Veloce equipped cross bike, using the normal Veloce double front derailleur, assuming I'm within the proper parameters of chain capacity for the derailleurs (I'd be using a medium cage rear derailleur)? I've seen a "minimum chainring" size value of 34t published in some of the Campy documents, but it seems to me it should work.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I can't seem to find it in searching the forums or google for that matter.

TIA!

Probably, even tho the tooth difference is 16t...Which Veloce front shifter? If normal/older ERGO(2006 and older)-no problema.

danield
04-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys. Front d. is actually a newer (2012ish) Centaur. Anyways, I'll give it a shot, as it doesn't appear there are any firm suspicions that it necessarily will not work.

Michael_S
04-06-2014, 11:41 PM
I run Campy front derailleurs on two bike with similar cranksets. They actually work better for this scenario due to their shorter cages.

One is a Centaur and the other a Veloce. Not sure about the mfged year.

mike

buldogge
04-06-2014, 11:50 PM
I run 46-30 with an Athena 11 FD/RD on my Meech dirt/gravel bike…FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
04-07-2014, 07:14 AM

TIA!

Depends also on the LH shifter..if it's older, pre 2006, ratcheting thumb button..lotsa of clicks, probably work fine. If it's the positional LH shifter, 2007/8 or 2011+, maybe be more of an issue.

DOH!! Check the date!!

At least I'm consistent...