PDA

View Full Version : Can't find tubular leak - help!

KJMUNC
03-31-2014, 12:41 PM
Walked out last night to prep my stuff for this morning's ride and found my front Conti Gatorskin flat. I visually inspected the wheel and found no cuts whatsover, so I tried to soapy water method to ID the leak....again, no luck. Finally I put the entire tire in the bathtub and weighted it down so it was completely submerged and still no bubbles identifying the leaking spot.

The entire valve stem was submerged, so I don't believe it's any more suspect than the rest.

Planning on sending to Tirealert for the fix, but wanted to mark the leak before I shipped.

Any ideas or similar issues? Anyone had a similar issue with Conti tubulars?

oldpotatoe
03-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Walked out last night to prep my stuff for this morning's ride and found my front Conti Gatorskin flat. I visually inspected the wheel and found no cuts whatsover, so I tried to soapy water method to ID the leak....again, no luck. Finally I put the entire tire in the bathtub and weighted it down so it was completely submerged and still no bubbles identifying the leaking spot.

The entire valve stem was submerged, so I don't believe it's any more suspect than the rest.

Planning on sending to Tirealert for the fix, but wanted to mark the leak before I shipped.

Any ideas or similar issues? Anyone had a similar issue with Conti tubulars?

Put some Stan's or Orange seal in there first.

4Rings6Stars
03-31-2014, 01:02 PM
I was actually going to post a similar thread...

I am using tubulars for the first time and both tires (Challenge cross tires) go soft after a few days, one of them eventually going entirely flat after about a week sitting unused. I can't find a leak anywhere...is this normal for tubulars?

Both tires are brand new...

Should I just pick up some of the sealant Oldpotatoe recommends and try that?

FlashUNC
03-31-2014, 01:06 PM

I am using tubulars for the first time and both tires (Challenge cross tires) go soft after a few days, one of them eventually going entirely flat after about a week sitting unused. I can't find a leak anywhere...is this normal for tubulars?

The Challenges likely have latex tubes. They'll exhibit that kind of behavior and it is normal. Stans doesnt really help. Just gotta pump em up each time you ride.

The Gatorskin is a puzzler. My gut says a leak at the valve.

christian
03-31-2014, 01:10 PM
The Gatorskin is a puzzler. My gut says a leak at the valve.The Gatorskin is a blessing. It's telling him it wants to be a spare and to buy some non-garden hose tubs for riding.

KJMUNC
03-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Will give it a shot when it arrives and see if that does the trick. Thanks!

Lewis Moon
03-31-2014, 01:20 PM

Wow...the things they're (not) teaching kids these days. Yep, as said earlier, ya gotta pump them every time.

izzyfuld
03-31-2014, 01:30 PM
I had a similar problem with my vittoria corsas, and was told that vittorias are notorious for this.
Just pumped mine before each ride.

christian
03-31-2014, 01:42 PM
The Vitt Corsas leak through the latex. All latex-tubed tires do this. That's different from a butyl-tubed Conti going flat.

redir
03-31-2014, 02:04 PM
Does it have a replacement valve? Try that. Then try the Stan's or Calfe Latex fix. On slow leaks the sealants always work.

4Rings6Stars
03-31-2014, 02:11 PM
Wow...the things they're (not) teaching kids these days. Yep, as said earlier, ya gotta pump them every time.

Anybody want to buy some Zipp 404s with brandy new 700x33 Challenge tires glued up???

Only half kidding I suppose... What if I go for a 6 or 7 hour ride? Should I expect them to hold air long enough for that? Or should I just ride my clinchers :p

FlashUNC
03-31-2014, 02:37 PM
Anybody want to buy some Zipp 404s with brandy new 700x33 Challenge tires glued up???

Only half kidding I suppose... What if I go for a 6 or 7 hour ride? Should I expect them to hold air long enough for that? Or should I just ride my clinchers :p

They'll be fine. Just expect to pump em up once a day. Latex tubes lose about 20-30% of their pressure over a day or so. I have a set of Michelin Pro4 tubies that are dead flat after a week. But they're fine for long rides.

izzyfuld
03-31-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm surprised they haven't perfected the latex tubes yet to not lose that much air.

biker72
03-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Guess I never knew what I was missing. I pump up my Continental GP4 Season clinchers with cheap tubes once a week....:p

denapista
03-31-2014, 03:39 PM
When I first jumped into the Tubular swimming pool, I was kind of spooked about the losing PSI thing. I then realized that it's a blessing ins disguise. It gives you a reason to inspect and check your air before every ride. this is something a huge amount of people don't do, and end up getting flats or punctures more frequently. Especially with tubular tires, I inspect for cuts and gashes, and use super glue to fill them in. Tubulars aren't clinchers, where you just ride them and not think about them. I have a set of the newer style Vittoria tires with the non removable cores and man these things rip! I had the old Corsa SC versions and they ripped apart after a few rides. The new tires are noticeably better.

pbarry
03-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Flash, you might try installing the tire, without glue, on a wheel, inflate to 100 psi or better, then check for leaks in water. I've had a few slow leaks through the years that were only visible above 60-80 lbs.

ultraman6970
03-31-2014, 07:11 PM
Know how to fix and actually fix tubulars yourself is a must for tubular users.

As for the leak no idea, if the leak is small i would just put some stans inside and ride that one till its death.

93legendti
03-31-2014, 07:42 PM
My tubulars are hanging in my garage and I never had this issue, but maybe this would help?

http://www.amazon.com/Vittoria-Pit-Stop-Road-Racing-Repair/dp/B008F9IGG8/ref=pd_sim_sg_29?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JCRF7Y2W4C7SKQT3SPY

redir
04-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Flash, you might try installing the tire, without glue, on a wheel, inflate to 100 psi or better, then check for leaks in water. I've had a few slow leaks through the years that were only visible above 60-80 lbs.

Good advice. I've seen this happen as well.

zap
04-01-2014, 09:06 AM
The Gatorskin is a blessing. It's telling him it wants to be a spare and to buy some non-garden hose tubs for riding.

Ha, you ever ride Tufo's? That's like riding a frozen garden hose.

But other than that, Tufo's are the best. The most consistently round, straight, holds air tight and durable tubular tire I've ever ridden.

OP, if the tire has a removable valve core, make sure it's tight. If thats not the problem, then you have the twin of a Conti I had….a slow leak from new. I figured it was a post beergarten unit.

FlashUNC
04-01-2014, 09:41 AM

Good advice, but it ain't my leak.