PDA

View Full Version : Phil Wood JIS low profile BB (Campy use?)

mmtmatrix
03-31-2014, 09:21 AM
Hi All, I recently acquired a Phil Wood JIS low profile BB, I was told it was Campagnolo (ISO) taper at first, but after closer inspection I am 99% sure it is a JIS low profile.

There is some info on these out there, but I am wondering about cross compatibility with a campy crank. I know going from JIS < -- > ISO changes chain line, but any thoughts on how JIS low pro will alter chain line with a campy crank? Risk of messing up the crank tapers?

Its a nice BB (ti) so I would like to use it if I can, but not if its going to cause damage.

Thoughts?

yarg
03-31-2014, 09:31 AM
This should help:

http://www.urbanvelo.org/issue15/urbanvelo15_p86-87.html

4.5 mm difference in chain line so unless that BB length compensates for that I would not do it.

oldpotatoe
03-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Hi All, I recently acquired a Phil Wood JIS low profile BB, I was told it was Campagnolo (ISO) taper at first, but after closer inspection I am 99% sure it is a JIS low profile.

There is some info on these out there, but I am wondering about cross compatibility with a campy crank. I know going from JIS < -- > ISO changes chain line, but any thoughts on how JIS low pro will alter chain line with a campy crank? Risk of messing up the crank tapers?

Its a nice BB (ti) so I would like to use it if I can, but not if its going to cause damage.

Thoughts?

Well, the taper in millimeters is larger so you do destine the crank to be JIS forever more. Plus chainline will be different(outboard) when compared to using proper length ISO BB.

mmtmatrix
03-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the help guys! I thought that since its Phils 'low profile' it would change the situation at all.

oldpotatoe, I have a few new bikes to show you too, hope to see you soon!

bfd
03-31-2014, 11:47 AM

Thoughts?

If you have a Phil bb, then its actually pretty easy to tell whether its ISO, JIS or JIS low profile. Phil has a great picture on its website showing the difference. :banana::confused::butt:

http://www.philwood.com/products/bbpages/spndltyp.jpg

I recently ran into the same issue. I have a TA Zephyr crank that I had been using Campy/ISO bb. When the bb broke, I got a Phil ti/carbon bb with JIS taper spinde. I took it to my LBS and he said it would work. I had it installed and after 2 rides - so far, so good!

But I agree with OP, that I'm probably going to have to use JIS spindles with this crank from here on out! Good Luck! :eek::bike:

mmtmatrix
03-31-2014, 12:06 PM
Yes, that picture above is the reason that I know its JIS low profile (dont know why I said 99% sure), the question is, how do JIS vs JIS low profile differ in chain line (and spindle/taper marring) (with campy cranks). Basically, I know its not ideal and probably wont work, wanted to see if low pro made a difference.

oldpotatoe
03-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Yes, that picture above is the reason that I know its JIS low profile (dont know why I said 99% sure), the question is, how do JIS vs JIS low profile differ in chain line (and spindle/taper marring) (with campy cranks). Basically, I know its not ideal and probably wont work, wanted to see if low pro made a difference.

Hard to predict cuz the flats of the crank, how often on and off, etc, will determine how far the crank will go onto spindle.