PDA

View Full Version : OT (mostly): 5 days from Bern- where to go?

dbrown
03-30-2014, 03:26 PM
My wife and I will have 5 days mid-May for a vacation after spending 7 days in Bern while I attend a meeting. She is a very casual rider, so short distances are OK for cycling. Would love to hear suggestions on places/ cities to go to (within a 3-4 hour train ride from Bern). This is our second trip to Europe-we spent a week in Florence last fall. Stay in Switzerland, go to France, Austria, Germany? Art, architecture, day hikes, easy day cycles are all welcome suggestions. Thanks much.

verticaldoug
03-31-2014, 11:03 AM
In mid-May you may want to go to the Valais Canton. You can see the Matterhorn, and you can stay in a thermal hotspring to enjoy a spa, relax, hike etc. The Valley is lower so it will be slightly warmer here.

http://www.valais.ch/en/index.cfm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want a slightly easier trip, Bern is basically halfway between Zurich and Geneve. The train is simple, I'd spend 2 days in Zurich so I can go to a German Beer hall, get some good beer and schnitzel. I then go back to Geneve to enjoy some french food and the Lake.

dbrown
03-31-2014, 11:48 AM
I like the sound of good beer and good food! Thanks.

cnighbor1
03-31-2014, 01:08 PM
try the Switzerland tourism bureau on line

verticaldoug
03-31-2014, 01:09 PM
When you are in Geneva, you can swing by Bos Bikes. High end shop with lots of eye candy.

http://bosbikes.blogspot.ch/

Assos Pro Shop, Passoni, and a few other European builders.
If they still have the special Lamborghini edition BMC, it can be yours for 30,000 euro.

malbecman
03-31-2014, 01:19 PM
The Berner-Oberland region around Interlaken is pretty stunning and only a couple of hours from Bern. You can stay/visit many beautiful places around there. Be sure to take the train up to Kleine-Scheidegg (or a long hike/bike) and check out THE North Face of the Eiger. Nice places to stroll around up there in the Alpine meadows. :)

Web1111a
03-31-2014, 05:41 PM
While you are there go to the Einstein house

It is where he wrote the theory of relativity

martl
03-31-2014, 05:55 PM
My wife and I will have 5 days mid-May for a vacation after spending 7 days in Bern while I attend a meeting. She is a very casual rider, so short distances are OK for cycling. Would love to hear suggestions on places/ cities to go to (within a 3-4 hour train ride from Bern). This is our second trip to Europe-we spent a week in Florence last fall. Stay in Switzerland, go to France, Austria, Germany? Art, architecture, day hikes, easy day cycles are all welcome suggestions. Thanks much.

The Berner-Oberland region around Interlaken is pretty stunning and only a couple of hours from Bern.
"a couple of hours" is a mild exaggeration - Switzerland is tiny, Bern-Interlaken is 56km - 35mls.

Berner Mittelland is great if you or your wife fear the bigger climbs. (Once, i had a local farmer practicing on his Alphorn nearby in the sunset while i was changing from my riding gear at my car at Seftigen (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=seftigen&ie=UTF-8&ei=a_M5U4LjB4PRtAaQ74DgAw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ)).
Great rides in hilly area with a great view onto the heart of the alps - Eiger, Jungfrau, Mönch.

If both of you are up for a treat, try the Rosenlaui valley from Innertkirchen -and don't forget to check into the Rosenlaui hotel for a snack, Jobst Brandt uses to go there- up to the Große Scheidegg (the road is closed for cars, only the bus goes there)- worth every drop of sweat :)

my top tip: Go up the Melchtal from Sarnen, spend a night at the Engstlenalp and proceed to the Aaretal- a dream ride. Elevation about 1000m, though. Can be combined with the Rosenlaui-Große Scheidegg tour. Use the rail to get to the starting point, rail system is great in switzerland and most cars have a comfortable bike unit.

Be prepared to spend, Switzerland ain't cheap.

From left to right: Große Scheidegg, Engstlen