PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on IRD compact crank?

Alan
03-30-2014, 02:41 PM
Boulder bikes has a deal with IRD on a 46-30 compact crank which I have been pursuing. There are no low cost options but I have looked at Rene Herse, TA, Velo Orange, Sugino and a few others that are all pricey. The link to the IRD looks to be a good deal but want to know if anyone has had an experience w IRD.

Link is below:
http://www.renehersestore.com/servlet/the-1305/Pre-dsh-Order--dsh--Assorted-lengths/Detail

I really like my 50-34 Campy crank but is just not low enough for some epic hilly rides when combined w 13-29 cassette at least for me.

Alan

R3awak3n
03-30-2014, 03:03 PM
That is definitely a good deal when it comes to a compact plus crankset but they are not as good looking as other offerings IMO.

I have heard good things about IRD and they have good looking cranksets (campy lookalikes) but never used one.

At that price nothing comes close, even the VO ones cost $200. The sugino comes close since it comes with a BB. I ended up going with a white industries one which to me is the best looking of them all and is very well built. Havent ridden it yet but so far I am impressed.

thirdgenbird
03-30-2014, 03:13 PM
I haven't used any of them, but I lust for the white industries one on a weekly basis.

bikinchris
03-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Sugino OX series cranks are pretty nice IMO. Some models are silver (OX601) and some are black (OX901). You can configure them with double or triple rings. They are another option.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Boulder bikes has a deal with IRD on a 46-30 compact crank which I have been pursuing. There are no low cost options but I have looked at Rene Herse, TA, Velo Orange, Sugino and a few others that are all pricey. The link to the IRD looks to be a good deal but want to know if anyone has had an experience w IRD.

Link is below:
http://www.renehersestore.com/servlet/the-1305/Pre-dsh-Order--dsh--Assorted-lengths/Detail

I really like my 50-34 Campy crank but is just not low enough for some epic hilly rides when combined w 13-29 cassette at least for me.

Alan

You can find a triple, 110mm and 74mm small ring and use middle position and small...using track(short) CR bolts...not as pretty but cheaper...like a Sora or Tiagra.....

R3awak3n
03-30-2014, 04:57 PM
Sugino OX series cranks are pretty nice IMO. Some models are silver (OX601) and some are black (OX901). You can configure them with double or triple rings. They are another option.

I was contemplating the OX601 for a minute. Someone is selling some in the classifieds, brand new with 4 rings and the BB for $285 which is a hell of a deal. Cant go wrong with those.

Look585
03-30-2014, 06:48 PM
The old Ritchey Logic (Sugino) compact MTB (94/58bcd) run as a double is a pretty good and nice looking solution. However, they aren't super easy to find in good shape and once you've bought a nice pair of 94bcd 46-30 rings it will probably close to the price of the IRD anyway.

donevwil
03-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Have you considered a Campy 12-30 cassette, or if you still want more gear, the IRD Wide Range 12-32 or 34 ? Going from a 34 small to a 30 will not net as much gear reduction as you may think. The Campy 12-30 will get you ~3/4 of the way there and the IRD far beyond. The shift quality of the IRD cassettes is more like a Miche than Campy, but they work fine.

bobswire
03-31-2014, 04:57 PM

Link is below:

Alan

Get a 32 or 34 cassette. I've done it with compacts in the past.