PDA

View Full Version : Another Campy question...Cables and housing

cxboy
03-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Picked up a 2009 chorus group that's in need of cables and housing...Do I have this correct...I must use Campagnola shifter and brake cables. But I can use standard jagwire ( sram / shimano ) shift and brake housing, and you do nor use the housing end caps ?
Thx for the help....

jtakeda
03-30-2014, 02:43 PM
You just need campy shift cables.

Everything else can be jagwire or whatever you prefer.

nighthawk
03-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Jagwire makes Campy specific shift cables that you can use. Just make sure they are the campagagnolo ones because the cable head diameter is slightly smaller, and if you use the shimano ones, it could get stuck in your shifter.
Jagwire also makes a shifter cable that has the campagnolo head on one end, and the shimano head on the other, and you just clip off the one you don't need before install. Your LBS may have this, but if ordering online, just get the Campy specific.

malcolm
03-30-2014, 02:54 PM
I've used/use jagwire specific for campy for years. no problems works great. shifter and brake.

kramnnim
03-30-2014, 03:04 PM
I've been dremeling the Shimano ends down to a smaller diameter with no issue.

Admiral Ackbar
03-30-2014, 03:29 PM
I've been dremeling the Shimano ends down to a smaller diameter with no issue.

do this or use campag specific cables or you are in for a serious headache when you try to replace your cables..

oldpotatoe
03-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Picked up a 2009 chorus group that's in need of cables and housing...Do I have this correct...I must use Campagnola shifter and brake cables. But I can use standard jagwire ( sram / shimano ) shift and brake housing, and you do nor use the housing end caps ?
Thx for the help....

That's correct, use any high end, lined 4mm(shift) and 5mm(brake) housing. NO, repeat NO ferrules/end caps in the levers. IME, routing behind the hbars works better. Sharp cut on der. housing, little thin lube in there, wee bit o' grease on the Delrin guide.

And Jagwire makes small end der cables, and brake cables that clear the carbon brake lever a little bit better.

Ralph
03-30-2014, 04:20 PM
Helped a friend recently recable his bike with a Jagwire Racer kit. The shift cables were teflon covered. Housing lined. Nice stuff. Kit was vey complete. Shifted like the cables ran on ball bearings. LOL

Make sure you use either the Campy specific kit, or the Shimano/SRAM kit.....whichever you're doing.

StephenCL
03-30-2014, 04:52 PM
That's correct, use any high end, lined 4mm(shift) and 5mm(brake) housing. NO, repeat NO ferrules/end caps in the levers. IME, routing behind the hbars works better. Sharp cut on der. housing, little thin lube in there, wee bit o' grease on the Delrin guide.

And Jagwire makes small end der cables, and brake cables that clear the carbon brake lever a little bit better.

Not true for early ergo power levers...true for the 10 speed he is working with, but 8 speed ergo levers required ferrules at the lever end...just for general purpose knowledge....

Stephen

Hank Scorpio
03-30-2014, 04:59 PM
..NO, repeat NO ferrules/end caps in the levers.

You couldn't have told me that before I got a ferrule jammed in the brake side? How to get it out? I was thinking a spoke maybe?

jtakeda
03-30-2014, 05:36 PM
You couldn't have told me that before I got a ferrule jammed in the brake side? How to get it out? I was thinking a spoke maybe?

I've used a safety pin. Bent the point very slightly to get the ferrule out.

ultraman6970
03-30-2014, 05:57 PM
You can use pretty much what ever you want. just dremel the head to fit the cable spooler because the hole is smaller than shimano, it will take like 2 minutes to do that with a dremel.

As for the brake cables, doubt you will have a problem either, worse case scenario just dremel again to fit.

As for the cable casing the jagwire one served me well since very long time (have used shimano aswell because the store had that one too).

As for the end caps, well just put the ones that fit the casing and you should be ok (if oyu want to use them, I use end caps like in 2 places but not in the levers)

Going generic jagwire cables and casing you will save a lot of dough and time aswell.

Hope this helps.

FlashUNC
03-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Jagwire and a dremel. It all works fine.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Not true for early ergo power levers...true for the 10 speed he is working with, but 8 speed ergo levers required ferrules at the lever end...just for general purpose knowledge....

Stephen

2009 ergo levers. You are correct about 2008 and older used ferrules for the der housing, not for brake housing. 1994 and older used ferrules for the brake.

StephenCL
03-30-2014, 06:55 PM
2009 ergo levers. You are correct about 2008 and older used ferrules for the der housing, not for brake housing. 1994 and older used ferrules for the brake.

yup.....I know you know. :)!!!!! Just didn't want some one rigging up their early 9 speed levers with no ferrules after you post..... Thanks!

Stephen

choke
03-30-2014, 07:05 PM
If you go with S-type cables you can get by without a dremel; a minute or two with sandpaper on the end will do the trick.

Ralph
03-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Not all Jagwire is the same. Avoid the cheaper generic unlined stuff. Use Racer kit....usually around $30.00 on E bay.

umami
03-30-2014, 08:15 PM
If you have ferrules that are really stuck in the shifter housing, thread a drywall screw snugly into the ferrule and pull it out with pliers. Bada-bing.

oldpotatoe
03-31-2014, 07:12 AM
If you have ferrules that are really stuck in the shifter housing, thread a drywall screw snugly into the ferrule and pull it out with pliers. Bada-bing.

Great idea..a rat tail file of the proper diameter works also...one of my pet peeves when in the shop, ferrules stuck in the brake housing hole..EVEN after using a Campagnolo cable kit.

WickedWheels
03-31-2014, 07:27 AM
I'd avoid the teflon coated cables. The teflon tends to come off and create extra drag in the housing. I prefer the stainless slick cables.

oldpotatoe
03-31-2014, 07:29 AM
I'd avoid the teflon coated cables. The teflon tends to come off and create extra drag in the housing. I prefer the stainless slick cables.

Yep, I agree..like the gore crap, the coating shreds, clogs up the housing..the slick stainless inner wires work really well.

mmtmatrix
03-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Listen to oldpotato, he knows what he is talking about, and will hit you with a peanut butter wrench if you put ferrules in the shifters.

I miss you old potato (and missed the sweater party), lets have a beer!

(This is Malcolm)

oldpotatoe
03-31-2014, 09:50 AM
Listen to oldpotato, he knows what he is talking about, and will hit you with a peanut butter wrench if you put ferrules in the shifters.

I miss you old potato (and missed the sweater party), lets have a beer!

(This is Malcolm)

Malcolm!!! Great to hear from ya...I often come by for free, cheap beer on Fridays.

Email

Chisholm2744@comcast.net

Ask away if you have ? No sweat at all.