PDA

View Full Version : Another cyclist hit by a car + good article

Keith A
03-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Last week we had one of our local cyclist hit by a car and was severely injured. It just happens that this cyclist is a local orthopedic doctor who has worked on many of the cyclists in our area. His injuries are pretty extensive and it was touch and go for a bit, but he's recovering and finally getting out of the hospital today and moving to a rehab center.

There was an article posted about this incident and I thought the comments made by a deputy sheriff were interesting and even encouraging. Maybe there is some hope after all...

“I, myself, am sick and tired” of vehicle-bicycle crashes, the deputy said.

Not laying blame on any particular side, Dep. Barker said, “I think it’s all of our faults” – motorists and cyclists, alike.

Here's the article...
http://www.veronews.com/news/indian_river_county/public_safety/cyclists-motorists-share-the-road-with-risk/article_7937e072-b3bd-11e3-8bff-0017a43b2370.html

bluesea
03-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Great article. I like their re-legalization of bicycles on sidewalks.

Jaq
03-28-2014, 11:30 AM
I like their re-legalization of bicycles on sidewalks.

Mixed feelings about that; there are already too many belligerent a-holes who think sidewalks are the only place for bikes, so feel even less inclined to share the road. That said, as a cyclist, it's nice to have a safety option.

Nice article though. S-l-o-w-l-y, I think, things are getting better.

Anarchist
03-28-2014, 11:36 AM
I see nothing in that article that tells me anything is getting better for cyclists.

Sidewalks, helmets, headlights, taillights .....

Motorists are to be aware of their surroundings. This is where the failure is in all of these sorts of accidents, and yet they keep happening.

Nothing is getting better. The sidewalk comment tells me they are getting much worse.

staggerwing
03-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Great article. I like their re-legalization of bicycles on sidewalks.

Good to hear the orthopod is on the mend, but sounds like his injuries are significant.

Mixed feelings on the bicycle on sidewalk issue.

Personally, I've been screamed at more than once by an irate motorist to "ride on the sidewalk." As a means to get around around a tight squeeze, or heavily congested area, I can see taking to the sidewalk, and proceeding in a manner that does't threaten pedestrian traffic.

Otherwise, I'm not a fan of trying to proceed down a sidewalk at my normal commuting pace, which averages to about 15mph. Motor traffic crossing the sidewalks aren't looking for traffic that fast, and neither are the pedestrians. While, if the motoring public knew you the sidewalk was legal option, they would increase their cries for cyclist to leave the roadway.

In Cinci, the sidewalk is currently legal for those under 16 only.

Keith A
03-28-2014, 11:48 AM
I see nothing in that article that tells me anything is getting better for cyclists...I guess for me the fact that this deputy sheriff is aware that we do have a problem and wants to see things get better...and he wasn't just blaming the cyclists, is a step in the right direction.

I also have mixed feelings about the sidewalk issue. I too have been told many times by a passing motorists to get on the sidewalk. There are also many dangers when riding on the sidewalk such as pedestrians, and motorists not seeing you when crossing streets or driveways -- but I certainly wouldn't want any youngsters (or inexperienced cyclists) riding on a busy road when there is a sidewalk. I used to be more hard core about never ever riding on a sidewalk, but lately I do take a sidewalk on a section of road near my house when it's early in the morning and the sun is in the eyes of the motorists in my lane. I've had too many close calls on that section of road that I'm sure it was because of the sun in their eyes...and I'm not taking a chance anymore.

Anarchist
03-28-2014, 11:55 AM
I guess for me the fact that this deputy sheriff is aware that we do have a problem and wants to see things get better...and he wasn't just blaming the cyclists, is a step in the right direction.

I also have mixed feelings about the sidewalk issue. I too have been told many times by a passing motorists to get on the sidewalk. There are also many dangers when riding on the sidewalk such as pedestrians and motorists not seeing you when crossing streets or driveways, but I certainly wouldn't want any youngsters (or inexperienced cyclists) riding on a busy road when there is a sidewalk. I used to be more hard core about never ever riding on a sidewalk, but lately I do take a sidewalk on a section of road near my house when it's early in the morning and the sun is in the eyes of the motorists in my lane. I've had too many close calls on that section of the road that I'm sure it was because of the sun in their eyes...and I'm not taking a chance anymore.

I have become irretrievably cynical about this whole thing. My take on the article is that she is aware there is a problem because she is spending too much time doing paperwork for associated accidents.

I hope I'm wrong.

OldCrank
03-28-2014, 11:57 AM
<<< Motorists are also encouraged to slow down and move over as is safe when passing a bicyclist, Dep. Barker said. >>>

Encouraged. Not required by law.

So go ahead and run down a medical doctor with your mini-van, you won't have any problems. Almost killing the guy is called "improper passing". A $15 fine?

A little exposure, I guess, but I'm having a tough time seeing this as a positive article.

joep2517
03-28-2014, 12:07 PM
<<< Motorists are also encouraged to slow down and move over as is safe when passing a bicyclist, Dep. Barker said. >>>

Encouraged. Not required by law.

So go ahead and run down a medical doctor with your mini-van, you won't have any problems. Almost killing the guy is called "improper passing". A $15 fine?

A little exposure, I guess, but I'm having a tough time seeing this as a positive article.

it is required by law in Florida:

316.083 Overtaking and passing a vehicle.—The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions, and special rules hereinafter stated:

(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall give an appropriate signal as provided for in s. 316.156, shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance, and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. The driver of a vehicle overtaking a bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle must pass the bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle at a safe distance of not less than 3 feet between the vehicle and the bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle.

Saying that, I bet you could ask some Florida Law Enforcement Officers about this and they may not know of the 3 feet law. Florida has commercials on TV about the issues with smoking (I believe paid for by the cigarette companies), we need something to educate drivers and the law enforcement about the laws.

tuscanyswe
03-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Sidewalks are deathtraps for bike riders imo. Not a good idea!

redir
03-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Riding a bike on the side walk is stupid. Period.

cinema
03-29-2014, 12:01 AM
i ride in the street 99% of the time. that being said sidewalk is always a good choice here especially at rush hour. been riding my whole life no one will convince me otherwise and I will continue to recommend it. use your brain be aware of your surroundings don't fly down it at 15 mph obviously.

DoubleButted
03-29-2014, 06:48 AM
Riding a bike on the side walk is stupid. Period.

Not all sidewalks are equal. Not all roads are equal either. Sometimes an empty sidewalk to avoid a busy street at rush hour is the better choice.

oldpotatoe
03-29-2014, 06:52 AM
Not all sidewalks are equal. Not all roads are equal either. Sometimes an empty sidewalk to avoid a busy street at rush hour is the better choice.

And some sidewalks, like some in the republic, on Arapahoe and parts of 30th, are fat, lined, designed to be ridden and walked on so.....since no bike lane, shoulder and LOTZ of traffic.

Bstone
03-29-2014, 12:08 PM
I drive to work down A1A. The only people riding bikes on the sidewalk are casual (not knowledgeable) cyclists. If you turn down a side street, often they will expect you to stop and give them the right of way. And become indignent if you do not.

The problem with this is that, whatever the law, it requires humans to make decisions. I'm not willing to risk my life on it.

ARL002
03-29-2014, 11:25 PM
Given the condition of most of the sidewalks in my area, I would prefer to ride in the street. With any public policy, these rules are very broad strokes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gummee
03-30-2014, 06:50 AM
I'm pretty much against the whole 'separate bicycles from traffic' argument because we ARE traffic. ...AND... It just adds to the problem where there's no separate paths. ...like where I am out in the sticks...

It *usually* isn't the cyclist's fault that they just got hit. Its an inattentive/distracted/impatient driver. Teach people how to drive and/or make the consequences for hitting a cyclist more costly and you may see a shift in driving behavior.

...AND... All of that inattentive/distracted/impatient driving won't stop till bicycles and motorcycles are considered 'forms of transportation' and not just 'weekend toys.'

M

ultraman6970
03-30-2014, 07:26 AM
It is so easy as a driver to be conscious that if you are driving a larger vehicle you really can harm somebody, and probably that goes deeper than just teaching somebody about the issue.

For example. never been able to figure it out how you can ram a guy riding a bicycle from behind you know. I can understand that as a driver you moved the car too close to him and hit him from the side but straight ram somebody because you did not see them, just like the case in the article? I never got that.

I use darn glasses, have problems at night with lights and because is too dark sometimes and thats why I dont like to drive at night but damm it... I see guys riding their bikes perfectly specially if they have lights or glow in the dark stuff, even sometimes my wife asks me why I reduced the speed or I moved... "you did not see the guy in the bike that is in front of us eh?"

Probably the day I ram a cyclist from behind I will quit driving forever, because will mean that I'm not responsible no more.

The day the justice system starts sending guys to jail (no matter how powerful they are) for at least 2 or 3 years for stupidity like ramming a cyclist from behind, drivers won't deter.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2014, 07:35 AM
It is so easy as a driver to be conscious that if you are driving a larger vehicle you really can harm somebody, and probably that goes deeper than just teaching somebody about the issue.

For example. never been able to figure it out how you can ram a guy riding a bicycle from behind you know. I can understand that as a driver you moved the car too close to him and hit him from the side but straight ram somebody because you did not see them, just like the case in the article? I never got that.

I use darn glasses, have problems at night with lights and because is too dark sometimes and thats why I dont like to drive at night but damm it... I see guys riding their bikes perfectly specially if they have lights or glow in the dark stuff, even sometimes my wife asks me why I reduced the speed or I moved... "you did not see the guy in the bike that is in front of us eh?"

Probably the day I ram a cyclist from behind I will quit driving forever, because will mean that I'm not responsible no more.

The day the justice system starts sending guys to jail (no matter how powerful they are) for at least 2 or 3 years for stupidity like ramming a cyclist from behind, drivers won't deter.

Lady that nailed me got a 'careless driving resulting in an injury' ticket..not even to the level of a misdemeanor...traffic ticket type thing..$250 fine, 4 points, 40 hours community service...

zap
03-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Lady that nailed me got a 'careless driving resulting in an injury' ticket..not even to the level of a misdemeanor...traffic ticket type thing..$250 fine, 4 points, 40 hours community service...

Lady in Merryland who killed a cyclist from behind last year is fighting US$2K in fines.

http://www.change.org/petitions/richard-a-simmons-whitney-decesaris-reconsider-contesting-whitney-decesaris-traffic-citations