PDA

View Full Version : Help from my brothers and sisters South of the border?

d_douglas
03-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Ok, I am just being cheap.

I live in Victoria BC (Canada) and want to buy some nice, cheap 29er tires from Competitive Cyclist. Problem is that they want $50 (!) to ship two tires to me here!!! I told them it was ridiculous and they offered shipping for $36 (still !!) since shipping to US addresses is free (and I live very close to the border. Given that I cannot just cross the border to pick them up (Victoria is on an Island) I am wondering if there is a kind soul who would be these tires for me and then just toss them into the mail via USPS for $10 (or whatever the cost is)? I can pay you via Paypal (or Visa if affiliated with a shop?)

Yes, I am cheap, but I find it pretty annoying in principle that they could suggest those shipping rates were reasonable.

If anyone (maybe in WA or ID?) is up for a Good Samaritan moment, please send a PM - thanks a lot.

Brian Cdn
03-27-2014, 10:54 PM
D,

Have you checked some of the UK sites for 29er tires ? Some of them offer free shipping to Canada, etc..

B.

ultraman6970
03-28-2014, 12:24 AM
Canadian customs office could be a problem.

d_douglas
03-28-2014, 12:48 AM
No, there is no problem whatsoever - it is just dumb that they charge $50 to ship two tires while UK and German outfits ship for free.

That said, the tires are a great deal at CC and their price can't be matched in the UK - I checked.

In any case, I think a kind soul here is willing to help - thanks!!

m_sasso
03-28-2014, 03:07 AM
Ship them here http://www.blaineenterprises.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=30 and pick them up yourself.
The people who own the place are Colleen and Paul Dudley, she is Canadian from New Westminster, BC. and he is from Michigan.
I have worked with them for many years, 15+ and was there today picking up some Chorus calipers I purchased from a Paceliner and sent there to avoid cross border shipping issues.
Many well established business from Vancouver pick up their goods there daily, avoid private brokers and handle import chores themselves.
My 2nd credit card address is registered to their address and have never had an issue with shipping.
If I can answer any questions for you let me know.
Oh and tires not manufactured in the US are subject to GST however under a reasonable dollar value you will get a free pass from most border agents if you don't play games with them.

d_douglas
03-28-2014, 07:36 AM
Hi Marc:

Thanks for the info, however, being on Vancouver island, picking things up in Blaine is not a reasonable option. It is a good option for you big-city-folk ;)

kramnnim
03-28-2014, 07:39 AM
I can buy them and reship to you if you want, but I'm in NC so it might take longer.

enr1co
03-28-2014, 08:40 AM
I am wondering if there is a kind soul who would be these tires for me and then just toss them into the mail via USPS for $10 (or whatever the cost is)?

From my experience when obtaining USPS shipping quotes for stuff I've offered for sale here or ebay, USPS defaults to their international rates to ship to Canada addresses so the fee is going to be more than "$10".

Unfortunately, for a 2-3 lb package (for 2 x mtb tires) the USPS rate will likely be only a few dollars less or similar than the rate which CC is quoting.

R3awak3n
03-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Its probably going cost over $20. With added hassle for you and the person that has to do this for you, really not worth being cheap on this one.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2014, 09:19 AM
From my experience when obtaining USPS shipping quotes for stuff I've offered for sale here or ebay, USPS defaults to their international rates to ship to Canada addresses so the fee is going to be more than "$10".

Unfortunately, for a 2-3 lb package (for 2 x mtb tires) the USPS rate will likely be only a few dollars less or similar than the rate which CC is quoting.

I did a wag on the USPS site, 2 MTB tires to Canada and got $43...

R3awak3n
03-28-2014, 09:36 AM
even UPS, ground was like $25. International is expensive.

Shortsocks
03-28-2014, 10:02 AM
I've had this Issue also sending to our fellow pace-liners up north. It's just nuts, a very small package ends up costing way to much. I was sending warm gloves up north and it cost me 9 bucks.

John H.
03-28-2014, 10:45 AM
It does actually cost that much to ship via USPS priority mail.
It could potentially be done for a lower cost going parcel post.
The problem is that parcel post requires you to stand in line at the post office and do the label and payment old school.
This is an issue because the time going to the post office and standing in line costs the shipper $.
I have personally run into this same situation when selling to Canadian buyers.
I do not ship parcel post- takes too much time and effort on my side.

m_sasso
03-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Think it's bad shipping up North, it is just stupid what it costs to ship South to the US.

A simple traceable ground letter is in excess $20.00 with Canada Post, don't even want to know what a private carrier charges.

d_douglas
03-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Thanks all,

I don't find it an unbearable hassle - for the Paceline folks, I go the extra 'km', but yes, I understand the a Competitive Cyclist employee will not be walking down to the post office for my sake of saving $20 shipping.

I always find it amusing that people say international shipping is a hassle - I shipped something from here to Montreal and it took 5min and when I ship to the US (most of my shipping) it takes an extra minute. I fill out 5lines on a form and it's done. It's not a hassle, really.

In any case, thanks for your input.

John H.
03-28-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm not saying that I don't go the extra mile for Paceline members- but I draw the line at post office lines.
It is like going to an unemployment office or dmv.
Not something that one electively does.

Idris Icabod
03-28-2014, 11:22 AM
If the tyres you are looking at are the Continental X-King (or something like that) ones, I would save your money. Two of my buddies both just bought a set and they are a huge pain to seal, one buddy has added 8 oz of Stan's and some other type of sealant and you can see the stuff coming out of pin holes in the side wall (and the tire is pretty flat after 1 hour), the other buddy has his sealed now after about a week of sitting the bike on alternate sides and throwing in loads of sealent as well.

pdmtong
03-28-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm not saying that I don't go the extra mile for Paceline members- but I draw the line at post office lines.
It is like going to an unemployment office or dmv.
Not something that one electively does.

Sadly, me too. Postal workers have zero incentive to move faster think faster or process faster. You can easily figure 4-5 minutes average/person and most of the time I see the line being 10-20 folks.

Meanwhile, using the automated postal machine outside in the lobby I can generate and pay for a USA shipping label in 90 seconds and there is never a line.

Tires here would stuff into a USPS priority flat rate box and be $12 shipped.
Its just a bummer we need a customs form to get across the Canadian border.

d_douglas
03-28-2014, 12:03 PM
If the tyres you are looking at are the Continental X-King (or something like that) ones, I would save your money. Two of my buddies both just bought a set and they are a huge pain to seal, one buddy has added 8 oz of Stan's and some other type of sealant and you can see the stuff coming out of pin holes in the side wall (and the tire is pretty flat after 1 hour), the other buddy has his sealed now after about a week of sitting the bike on alternate sides and throwing in loads of sealent as well.

Thanks for the information - yes, they are a Trail Kings, which by all accounts, have a stellar reputation. They are highly regarded here locally, though no one seems to stock them, which is weird. I am willing to gamble on them...

Idris Icabod
03-28-2014, 04:10 PM
Sorry to bang on this topic but I noticed Chainreactioncycles has the Trail King for $68 ($74 in Canadian $) with free shipping compared to $60 at Competitive Cyclist with high shipping costs.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/continental-trail-king-mtb-tyre-protection/rp-prod113978

I've bought a lot from Chain Reaction, never had a problem. I hope this might help you out a bit. If you look round you can often find a coupon for 10 or 15% off which might make them price equivalent to CC but with free shipping.

d_douglas
03-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Not quite the same thing - they are selling 2013 Black Chili versions for $24. Scroll down on the page and gasp at the rock bottom pricing ;)

Idris Icabod
03-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Blimey, that is a good deal. Hope you find a way of getting them to you reasonably.

csm
03-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Wait, canada is a separate country? I thought it was part of Michigan.

I kid, I kid....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD