PDA

View Full Version : Imagine a heads up display for a bike... kinda

izzyfuld
03-26-2014, 10:21 AM
What do you guys think of a device/ mount that hooks up to your bike and iphone. You turn your iphone on to a video app that when sitting in this dock/cradle you can be looking down and see what's in front of you. It's a thought I have been having for a while now and have wanted to make it.
I feel it would add one more comfort level to cyclists, especially when "suffering".
You wont need to look up.

Thoughts? Comments?

RedRider
03-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Cyclists should be looking ahead not down. I appreciate the safety aspect of your idea but many crashes occur because riders are looking at their computers and not whats going on around them.

izzyfuld
03-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Fact is that cyclists do look down.
So what if they could be looking down while seeing up?
Sounds safer to me...

vqdriver
03-26-2014, 10:32 AM
you could probably rig something up now with stuff already out there. But I think the only live camera i'd want to see may be pointed to the rear. Not forward.

ergott
03-26-2014, 10:33 AM
No camera field of view will do what the eyes can, especially in their periphery.

ColonelJLloyd
03-26-2014, 10:33 AM
I have no desire to make my bike more complicated or expensive than it is.

ergott
03-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Fact is that cyclists do look down.
So what if they could be looking down while seeing up?
Sounds safer to me...

That's like saying people text while driving so let's figure a safer way to do that. No. The answer is don't look down for extended periods.

ptourkin
03-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Whether it's a good idea or not, I think the reverse is safer and likely on the way very soon.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/new-bike-gear-previews/heads-display-coming-cycling-sunglasses

cat6
03-26-2014, 10:46 AM
here is a more simple solution to looking down.

"i used to just stare at my stem, bro. not anymore..."
http://images.buddytv.com/articles/mike-thesituation-neckbrace.jpg

MattTuck
03-26-2014, 10:48 AM
yeah, get Chris Froome as your spokesperson.

izzyfuld
03-26-2014, 10:52 AM
yeah, get Chris Froome as your spokesperson.

Now We're talking.
Him and sufferfest.

ntb1001
03-26-2014, 10:55 AM
I've actually been thinking about this for a while...why can't you have a blue tooth signal from your gamin to a heads up display inside your glasses???
Might be kinda neat.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

izzyfuld
03-26-2014, 11:03 AM
That would be neat- but that only takes away 50% of the reason people look down.

eippo1
03-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Whether it's a good idea or not, I think the reverse is safer and likely on the way very soon.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/new-bike-gear-previews/heads-display-coming-cycling-sunglasses

Recon has already been successfully integrated into ski goggles for a few years now. Won't be hard or longcoming for biking sunglasses. Also, Luxotica (RayBan and Oakley) are working with Google Glass now.

p nut
03-26-2014, 11:07 AM
I would personally never use it, for several reasons. Glare could be an issue. Trying to look into a tiny screen while moving may be hard to do. With crazy drivers out there, you lose peripheral vision which could help avoid a disaster. If anything, develop something that attaches to a car, so that it alerts drivers of cyclists.

Black Dog
03-26-2014, 11:16 AM
I am using a pair of realtime dynamic input devices that capture my surroundings in High Def 3D and render them directly in my visual cortex. The devices are called Eyes™ and the process is called Reality© 1.0. :eek:

MadRocketSci
03-26-2014, 11:22 AM
not to pile on about the idea, as I haven't thought about it much, but along the lines of the above, to paraphrase Louis CK, reality is like totally HD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd2sRC3K9Hs

ergott
03-26-2014, 11:29 AM
http://sictees.com.au/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/170x170/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/-/i-went-outside-once.-the-graphics-arent-that-great-athumb.28.jpg

or

http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/10132012064312iwsmt.jpeg

merlinmurph
03-26-2014, 11:50 AM
Once again, read this please:

No camera field of view will do what the eyes can, especially in their periphery.

Nothing more needs to be said

Basically, you want to take some dinky 4" screen with a very limited field of view, and have someone depend on that for navigation while riding 20+ mph.

Think about it.

torquer
03-26-2014, 11:59 AM
Basically, you want to take some dinky 4" screen with a very limited field of view, and have someone depend on that for navigation while riding 20+ mph.

Oakley thinks that's a market:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/03/26/google-glass-coming-soon-to-oakley-cycling-glasses-near-you/

"While it may be some time still before we’re seeing cycling specific versions of Glass equipped Oakleys, with apps like Strava being designed for Glass it will probably happen sooner than we know it."

Jason E
03-26-2014, 12:05 PM
I don't think you look down for as much as you think while riding. Suffering = Looking down? My eyes are up the road regardless of the pain or fatigue.

RedRider
03-26-2014, 12:05 PM
In the PT Barnum school of thought... Develop the concept, raise funds on Kickstarter then sell it to Google or Facebook... retire. Just don't ride with me if you have that crap on your handlebars.

gasman
03-26-2014, 12:06 PM
I would be totally down with a heads up display that I could use to aim some small heat seeking missiles. Purely defensive of course.

Seramount
03-26-2014, 12:19 PM
another useless idea...aren't there enough device-addicted losers on the planet already...?

I want to experience the environment (sights, sounds, smells) I'm riding thru, not process data.

HUDs are for fighter planes, not bikes.

gasman
03-26-2014, 12:32 PM

Not if you arm the bikes appropriately.

Black Dog
03-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Not if you arm the bikes appropriately.

True. And there seems to be more Carbon Fibre and electronics in/on some bikes than some fighter jets.

Jaq
03-26-2014, 12:47 PM
I finally pulled my cateye comp; got tired of it eating batteries, and spoiling the lines of my bars and stays. Plus the mounts were always collecting salt from sweat or grime from the road.

I'm especially tired of the so-called "cockpit." Sailboats and aircraft have cockpits. Bicycles do not. It's just marketing hype to sell junk to people who need those kinds of words in their lives to make things seem interesting.

ptourkin
03-26-2014, 01:47 PM
another useless idea...aren't there enough device-addicted losers on the planet already...?

I want to experience the environment (sights, sounds, smells) I'm riding thru, not process data.

Because people who don't share your aesthetic are "losers." The internet is beautiful.

izzyfuld
03-26-2014, 02:51 PM
I am using a pair of realtime dynamic input devices that capture my surroundings in High Def 3D and render them directly in my visual cortex. They devices are called Eyes™ and the process is called Reality© 1.0. :eek:

Can I use this Black Dog?

So that idea got shot down very quickly....

MadRocketSci
03-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Hey Izzfuld,

Now that your idea has been shot down by the unwashed peanut gallery, wear it as a badge of honor like all the other good ideas people were too dumb to see the value of (Ipad - it's just an iphone with a bigger screen who would want that haha it's like an Apple tampon, or computers - the world market for those things is about 5), so now go forth and show us what we don't even know we will all want/can't live without in our future riding....

if you believe in it, go for it!
:beer:

Bob Ross
03-26-2014, 03:15 PM
What do you guys think of a device/ mount that hooks up to your bike and iphone. You turn your iphone on to a video app that when sitting in this dock/cradle you can be looking down and see what's in front of you. It's a thought I have been having for a while now and have wanted to make it.
I feel it would add one more comfort level to cyclists, especially when "suffering".

Thoughts? Comments?

I think you've got it backwards. Rather than allow the cyclist to see what's in front of them while looking down at their data display, you want to allow the cyclist to see what's on their data display while looking straight ahead.

iow, like what fighter pilots have, where their instrumentation is projected transparently onto the surface of their visor or windscreen. Imagine something that combines Garmin route mapping with an Oakley-designed Google Glass, so that you can be staring straight ahead, actually watching the road and alert to normal sensory input...yet you also get the Garmin's purple line seemingly traced onto the road in front of you.

If you're too tired to keep your head up while cycling you need to get off your bike, not buy a new gizmo.

carpediemracing
03-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Rear view camera (along with auto logging if something happens). If you had two you'd have a front vision one also. Somewhat visible even in bright light due to the LCD type screen. I don't remember much about it but I checked it out at length at Interbike.
http://www.cerevellum.com

There's some TT mirror so if you have your head down you can see forward. Mounts under the bar or stem, somewhere in there. Didn't bother Googling.

LED based heads up display. I've used it, would still be using it if my powermeter was Ant+ compatible (wired SRM so it's not). Basically it's sort of like an LED tach in an F1 or similar race car, it gives you graphical representations of points you define. So maybe yellow is 95 rpm, green is 100 rpm, orange is 105 rpm, etc. It also talks to you, and you can actually hear it when you're riding. I've used it to try and get into the right rpm range before a sprint, that would be my main purpose. For training (I'm a relatively unscientific rider when training) it's great for maintaining a particular rpm or speed or whatever. Designed for triathletes (it's run/bike compatible), TT riders, etc.
http://4iiii.com/product-sportiiiis/

MadRocketSci
03-26-2014, 03:47 PM
TT riders...a bit more aero if your face is pointed down so you can get some kind of flat flush aero helmet from your head to your shoulders. Then you have the display that shows forward view along with flashing boxes around hazards, and directional arrows to show you where the most efficient line is (as well as best way to steer around upcoming hazards)....

fun to brainstorm....

CunegoFan
03-26-2014, 04:34 PM

Thoughts? Comments?

This thing could make bank from triathletes. It is pretty common for them to crash into things because they are staring down while on their aero bars. Plus, those guys will buy just about anything. Just make sure the dock is carbon fiber (or looks like it is) and seems to be aerodynamic.

Seramount
03-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Because people who don't share your aesthetic are "losers." The internet is beautiful.

sorry, but I don't have a more respectful term for people who text while driving, can't sit thru a movie without using their phone, obliviously walk on a crowded sidewalk while checking email, etc etc.

phone zombies are a plague amongst us. there should be a bounty on them.

Black Dog
03-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Can I use this Black Dog?

So that idea got shot down very quickly....

All yours to use as you wish.

joosttx
03-26-2014, 09:26 PM
I could imagine a google eyeglasses type device. Where speed or distance, whatever is shown on the corner of your glasses.

Tandem Rider
03-27-2014, 04:38 AM
[QUOTE=MadRocketSci;1521521]TT riders...a bit more aero if your face is pointed down so you can get some kind of flat flush aero helmet from your head to your shoulders.
QUOTE]

In undocumented playing around on a TT bike with kit, using a PM, I could work out my own "sweet spot". Believe it or not, face down wasn't as bad as head to the side, but head up was the fastest. By a noticeable amount. The "Old Italian" that helped me with training back in the 80's was right. "You look down, you slow down", you have to remember to say it with an Italian accent to make it work though.

oldpotatoe
03-27-2014, 05:41 AM
I have no desire to make my bike more complicated or expensive than it is.

What he said..at least the complicated part..removed my Avocet computer 20 years ago..ride with a watch, an analog one at that...

oldpotatoe
03-27-2014, 05:42 AM
I think you've got it backwards. Rather than allow the cyclist to see what's in front of them while looking down at their data display, you want to allow the cyclist to see what's on their data display while looking straight ahead.

iow, like what fighter pilots have, where their instrumentation is projected transparently onto the surface of their visor or windscreen. Imagine something that combines Garmin route mapping with an Oakley-designed Google Glass, so that you can be staring straight ahead, actually watching the road and alert to normal sensory input...yet you also get the Garmin's purple line seemingly traced onto the road in front of you.

If you're too tired to keep your head up while cycling you need to get off your bike, not buy a new gizmo.

What he said..I think the gent needs to research what a 'HUD' is and what it does...

KJMUNC
03-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Recon Jet has a smart glasses type product out and even has Hincapie as the spokesperson. It's not a true "HUD" type display, but it does give you basically everything you have on your computer in your field of vision. Pretty pricey though....

http://www.reconinstruments.com/products/jet/

MadRocketSci
03-27-2014, 11:11 AM
What he said..I think the gent needs to research what a 'HUD' is and what it does...

or just rewatch Top Gun...or Firefox...

yes i know it's not realistic but the basic idea is there