PDA

View Full Version : Tour of the Battenkill

BumbleBeeDave
03-24-2014, 07:57 AM
It's coming up on April 5-6, two weeks from now. Who's riding/racing?

The preview rides was also supposed to be yesterday, but Dieter put it off till this next Sunday because of concerns about ice on the roads. I'm photographing the race again and went over yesterday to drive the course, scout out some photo locations, and get familiar with the course changes from last year. After going, I see why he postponed the ride.

The dirt roads are in the worst shape I've ever seen them this close to race day, even taking into account the race is a week earlier on this 10th anniversary.

Dirt roads are muddy, potholed, and soft on most inclines from snow melt soaking in. There is lots of snow still on the ground overall and after looking at the 10 days forecast, I'm not sure all this is going to dry out by race day.

Even on the good stretches, there are unexpected crosswise channels and potholes where snow melt has run across the road, so you could be flying along on good road and suddenly--wham! Roberson and several other dirt roads still have coverings of ice ditch to ditch because they are sheltered by trees and get very little sun. The county highway department usually does some work on the dirt roads before race day, but that's usually limited to the worse spots, and this year there are so many of them.

Paved roads are more wavy with some frost heaves than potholed, but there is sand and gravel everywhere, not just the corners. I guess we'll see if he has enough volunteer help to sweep all the corners.

The major course change this year is also going to alter the character of the race. The last few years the course took a route around the shoulder of Vley Summit/Willard Mountain on Mountain Road, which is rolling but skirts the mountain.

This year Herrington Hill Road goes directly over the mountain on a dirt climb that at 11% is not quite as steep as Juniper Swamp's 13%, but it is longer and comes later in the race. So another major dirt climb where previously it wasn't bad. If you're racing it would probably be a good idea to look it over.

BBD

redir
03-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Sounds pretty epic but $125 to race 65 miles? O.o

gavingould
03-24-2014, 08:09 AM
almost went to shoot the race last year, but couldn't work it out travel/cost-wise.
this year i'll be at Flanders for the Ronde instead.
Good luck to all racing, and of course to you shooting BumbleBeeDave!

MattTuck
03-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Change the course last minute due to weather. It is so PRO!

BumbleBeeDave
03-24-2014, 08:45 AM

. . . and I don't set the price. Pay it and race--or don't pay it and don't. But please don't turn this into an argument about costs. That's not what I intended in posting.

Thanks.

BBD

redir
03-24-2014, 09:06 AM
I've heard it's a good race sorry to take it off course pun intended. I'd hope they would give ample time warning if they have to cancel. I imagine that the people who do that race would prefer the epicness of it. Not my cup of tea, gravel.

shovelhd
03-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Not my kind of race at all. To those going, good luck and stay safe.

EDS
03-24-2014, 09:56 AM

I have not involvement with race or its organizers, but feel confident in saying that the race would be a lot less if it were a multiple loop race; but, as I am sure you know, it is not cheap to pay for police/etc. for a whole day on a 67 mile course.

echelon_john
03-24-2014, 10:17 AM
They do a great job, and the race generally sells out. Hats off to Dieter & Co for hopefully creating a sustainable model.

I live about 45 minutes east of the course in VT; if the roads here are any indication, it's going to be an epic race in terms of conditions. ALL the dirt roads are still completely frozen and ice covered as of today, with highs today and tomorrow only in the teens/low 20s. Even if it moderates over the coming weekend, which is forecast, it's still going to be a sloppy mess 2 weeks from now. The good news? No dust!!!! Just mud.

baker
03-24-2014, 10:28 AM
First of all, HUGE thanks for the report. I'm registered and it's my first time, so this news gives me a mix of excitement and fear. Sounds like conditions may cross the line between challenging and scary. Especially since I may not be able to preride the course.

Do you think they will reschedule to the rain date?

BumbleBeeDave
03-24-2014, 11:01 AM
. . . circumstances for him to re-schedule. It would create huge headaches in a number of ways.

If I had to make a prediction, it's that with 50's expected by this weekend, the snow will largely be melted on the roads and things may be dried out, but there will still be many more potholes than last year and lots more slippery gravel on paved roads where you didn't find it in the past. You're going to have either dust or mud. There will be very few spots on the course where you will be able to just relax and cruise.

BBD

Cat3roadracer
03-24-2014, 11:12 AM
David, for the love of Eddie Merckx, this is a bike race. If we wanted to relax and cruise we would play golf.

***Notice that I am not registered to race. I will most likely be playing golf that day.

BumbleBeeDave
03-24-2014, 11:19 AM
David, for the love of Eddie Merckx, this is a bike race. If we wanted to relax and cruise we would play golf.

***Notice that I am not registered to race. I will most likely be playing golf that day.

. . . one chilly golf game!

BBD

CNY rider
03-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Dave you have done lots of riding out this way. It can be treacherous even on a sunny summer day.
Our roads, particularly the dirt roads are dangerous and in some cases impassable right now.
The scariest part now though is on some of the paved roads. We have snow on the side of the road, and the March sun is able to liquify some of it despite the cold temps. The water then flows across the pavement until it reaches a shaded area or the sun goes down. Then you end up with glacial flow across the road.
It will get ugly quick if people come up to unexpected ice floes at race speed.:eek:

What we need is a few days in the 50's, with dry air/low DP's and a good breeze.
Not so sure we are going to get that soon.

That's why I'm sticking with dog walking, skiing and skating as my primary activities for a little longer.

tiretrax
03-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Those conditions sounds like a great day out. I hope you'll post a few pictures, BBD.

shovelhd
03-24-2014, 06:45 PM
No way they cancel for road conditions unless there is a last minute closure by the state that they cannot change the permit for. You are going to have to deal with the snow and ice and craters. Separates the men from the boys.

Tandem Rider
03-24-2014, 09:42 PM
No way they cancel for road conditions unless there is a last minute closure by the state that they cannot change the permit for. You are going to have to deal with the snow and ice and craters. Separates the men from the boys.

I wish it were about 1000 mile closer, I LOVE these kind of races, especially if it's s$^#y out, grit your teeth and roll. Flat and fast, no bueno, you don't have a precise enough instrument to detect my sprint.

Ti Designs
03-25-2014, 04:09 AM

The dollar per mile on Mt Washington is far worse...

54ny77
03-25-2014, 04:29 AM
battenkill is the most awesome and favorite race i've ever done, period.

only done it once, but is on the bucket list to do again someday.

price be damned, do it if you can.

redir
03-25-2014, 08:21 AM
I don't see how you can race if there is ice on the roads. That's just asking for trouble. We are getting a few inches of snow down here in Virgina now and we have an up and coming spring classic in Charlottesville that has many times been postponed due to snow. It's so unpredictable this time of year. Saturday was a sunny 64deg.

shovelhd
03-25-2014, 10:17 AM
A few years ago I did a 65 mile road race on icy roads. We had snow, sleet, hail ( golf ball), freezing rain, and rain. Basically everything that could fall from the sky. I did not do well but I was one of the 30% who finished.

The only thing that USAC is strict about is lightning. It could be a deluge with the roads covered with water but as long as there is no lightning, race on.

BumbleBeeDave
03-25-2014, 10:50 AM
. . . and we'll see what it looks like then.

BBD

alessandro
03-25-2014, 02:06 PM
battenkill is the most awesome and favorite race i've ever done, period.

only done it once, but is on the bucket list to do again someday.

price be damned, do it if you can.

...I'm sticking with dog walking, skiing and skating as my primary activities for a little longer.

I would love to do Battenkill--dirt roads, covered bridges, and chocolate milk in a glass bottle! But in early April I'm still thinking about skiing--this spring, like many, has brought late-season POWDER, far fewer people, and beautiful sunlight on the birch trees and snow.

The dollar per mile on Mt Washington is far worse...

Would love to do Big George, but at $300, no. A friend registered last year, got sick on the day of, had to forfeit. :(

BumbleBeeDave
03-30-2014, 05:18 PM
. . . to get some prelim photos and do the course with my new moto driver. It rained all night last night and while the ice on some of the roads from last weekend WAS gone, it had been replaced by a gooey, rutty, mess!

While it looks we are forecast to have generally good weather this coming week after tomorrow, I think this next weekend is liable to be a--dare I say it?--EPIC race! :eek: :rolleyes:

BBD

StephenCL
03-30-2014, 05:38 PM
At least two from team Zanconato will be racing...should be Epic.....

Stephen

54ny77
03-30-2014, 05:39 PM
wowwwwwwwwww that looks like fun.

i'd love to race in that slop.

in my current fitness, i'd be lucky to walk, let alone ride a bike, up one of the big hills.

who's the bmc rider?

Pete Mckeon
03-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Please for you do them so well and action oriented Thanks and wish I was going to be there to see the event

Pete

It's coming up on April 5-6, two weeks from now. Who's riding/racing?

The preview rides was also supposed to be yesterday, but Dieter put it off till this next Sunday because of concerns about ice on the roads. I'm photographing the race again and went over yesterday to drive the course, scout out some photo locations, and get familiar with the course changes from last year. After going, I see why he postponed the ride.

The dirt roads are in the worst shape I've ever seen them this close to race day, even taking into account the race is a week earlier on this 10th anniversary.

Dirt roads are muddy, potholed, and soft on most inclines from snow melt soaking in. There is lots of snow still on the ground overall and after looking at the 10 days forecast, I'm not sure all this is going to dry out by race day.

Even on the good stretches, there are unexpected crosswise channels and potholes where snow melt has run across the road, so you could be flying along on good road and suddenly--wham! Roberson and several other dirt roads still have coverings of ice ditch to ditch because they are sheltered by trees and get very little sun. The county highway department usually does some work on the dirt roads before race day, but that's usually limited to the worse spots, and this year there are so many of them.

Paved roads are more wavy with some frost heaves than potholed, but there is sand and gravel everywhere, not just the corners. I guess we'll see if he has enough volunteer help to sweep all the corners.

The major course change this year is also going to alter the character of the race. The last few years the course took a route around the shoulder of Vley Summit/Willard Mountain on Mountain Road, which is rolling but skirts the mountain.

This year Herrington Hill Road goes directly over the mountain on a dirt climb that at 11% is not quite as steep as Juniper Swamp's 13%, but it is longer and comes later in the race. So another major dirt climb where previously it wasn't bad. If you're racing it would probably be a good idea to look it over.

BBD

EDS
03-30-2014, 06:13 PM
I did the the preview ride one year (I think two years ago) when the conditions were like that. Made the off-cambers very interesting.

BumbleBeeDave
03-30-2014, 06:44 PM
wowwwwwwwwww that looks like fun.

i'd love to race in that slop.

in my current fitness, i'd be lucky to walk, let alone ride a bike, up one of the big hills.

who's the bmc rider?

Local boy used to be on Dieter's junior team. He's on the BMC developmental team. Really nice kid!

BBD

rwsaunders
03-30-2014, 07:41 PM
That almost looks like a cross course...tough conditions for sure.

BumbleBeeDave
03-30-2014, 08:24 PM
. . . how much of this the Washington County Highway Department will be able to repair before race day. So many rutted, washed out sections of dirt and huge amounts of gravel in every paved corner.

If you are racing/riding and have never seen Herrington Hill it would pay to go out and take a look before your race starts. It is DAMN steep and has some curves so you don't realize what you are in for until you climb halfway up the first pitch, then go around a corner to your left and you are faced with a wall.

BBD

WickedWheels
03-30-2014, 09:02 PM
The team I'm sponsoring, HBC/Bicycle Playground, will have a number of riders. Look for these jerseys:

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10150614_280971575400530_2062070412_n.jpg?dl=1

baker
03-31-2014, 10:37 AM
psyched! thanks again :banana: