PDA

View Full Version : Seat Bag Recomendations

dumbod
03-23-2014, 04:42 PM
I've just broken my last Fizik bag. Great idea but they aren't exactly durable. I like to carry a tube, lever and two CO2 cartridges (one in the inflator without the top obviously.) One other factor, I have a couple of bikes and it would be nice to share the one bad easily.

I've looked at the SciCon's but am open to other suggestions.

Thanks.

zmudshark
03-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Arundel Tubi or Dual.

MattTuck
03-23-2014, 04:50 PM
I have the a fizik one also, And I'm curious what part of it failed.

I liked the ease of moving between fizik saddles.

The lezyne QR saddlebags were also on my list when I bought the fizik. They had a removable bag part that attached to a member that was attached to the saddle rails.

http://www.lezyne.com/en/products/organizers/caddys-qr#!m-caddy-qr

christian
03-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Arundel Tubi is a good bag. I keep one on my Pegoretti. On my Colnago, I've actually just ended up with a cut bottle in my seat tube cage. Most of my rides are <50 miles and there are places to get water, so that works well for me.

Tandem Rider
03-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Krieg. Made in USA, company is owned by the brother of a former teamate.

jemoryl
03-23-2014, 05:45 PM
I'm going to whinge here. In the last few years I've gone through 3 small saddle bags. First, a Pro (the Shimano offshoot): great little bag but the straps delaminated and became useless too quickly. Then a Lezyne, the straps were way too long (!) and the velcro sucked. Now a Fizik; an ok bag but the velcro has lost its grip after about 6 months.

So what is up with all this crap velcro? I have 10 year old adidas shoes with great velcro. My Louis Garneau winter booties have velcro that sticks to everything, etc. etc. But every saddle bag I buy seems to have crap velcro. What should I try next? Thinking JandD, but I'm not wild about the looks.

Birddog
03-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Detours "Guppy" medium. Easiest to mount and dismount I know of.

JAGI410
03-23-2014, 05:56 PM
DIY tool roll and a toe strap.

Chrome/Rapha/Rivendell/etc make tool rolls for reasonably cheap.

classtimesailer
03-23-2014, 06:03 PM
My jandd carries a mini tool, tube, and levers. 12+ years and the Velcro as well as the zipper works. I've also got a Jandd for a tubular spare that has a Tufo label on it. Quality stuff.

AngryScientist
03-23-2014, 06:04 PM
big fan of arundel bags. the uno works perfectly for a tube, small multi tool and a pair of levers.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-62aMUlAaYAA/Uy4A3N6WY8I/AAAAAAAABjM/wOWDJsKkuCA/s1600/IMG_1502.JPG

thirdgenbird
03-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Arundel Tubi or Dual.

I'm debating getting one of each.

Vientomas
03-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Arundel Dual - One on each of my two road bikes. Holds 2 levers, a multi tool, 3 CO2 cartridges, a CO2 head and a package of glue less patches. Fewer cartridges and you could get a tube in there. I put the tube in a jersey pocket instead. It is a well made bag with a solid fit under the saddle.

Bruce K
03-23-2014, 06:34 PM
My new favorite bags are KoKi Tuk Tuks

Strong Velcro, rubber strap around seat post, solid zipper and fabric.

Now slop/flop when riding.

The large is BIG.

BK

choke
03-23-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm debating getting one of each.I have both and I like the Tubi better; it's a bit easier to fit everything I want inside.

RedRider
03-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Arundel. Lezyne a close second. Fizik make great products but the snap in seat pack hanging off the back often breaks but worse it looks like a ...

binouye
03-23-2014, 07:52 PM
+1 for the Koki bags (a med). I like that the rubber strap around the post doesn't scuff the post or mark it, doesn't stick out, doesn't move around. I have 2 now, and on one of them the Velcro isn't as strong as I'd like, so I put a rubber band around the outside once its on the bike -- that holds the velcro straps in place.

My new favorite bags are KoKi Tuk Tuks

Strong Velcro, rubber strap around seat post, solid zipper and fabric.

No slop/flop when riding.

The large is BIG.

BK

Tandem Rider
03-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Krieg.

Owner's brother was a friend and teammate of mine. Idaho company, great quality, holds up under me. Only bag I buy.

thirdgenbird
03-23-2014, 08:03 PM
I have both and I like the Tubi better; it's a bit easier to fit everything I want inside.

I misspoke. I want an uno and tubi

The tubi will go on my tommasini with tubular wheels

The uno will go on my colnago with clinchers

My multi tool will stay in my pocket so I don't have to repack either bag.

zmudshark
03-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Tubi fits two tubes, 2 CO2 cartridges and a couple of tire levers/patch kit, no problem, or one tubular and one cartridge, very snugly.

I use the Tubi on all my bikes.

Netdewt
03-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Many positive responses, so I guess plenty of people like using bags. They seem practical to me, but it sounded like it was against "the rules". Haha.

I have a small Scicon that was a waste of money because the Velcro is crap. The bag would fall off if I used it.

What about ILE? http://ilequipment.com/products/seat-bag

LJohnny
03-23-2014, 08:29 PM
I've just broken my last Fizik bag. Great idea but they aren't exactly durable. I like to carry a tube, lever and two CO2 cartridges (one in the inflator without the top obviously.) One other factor, I have a couple of bikes and it would be nice to share the one bad easily.

I've looked at the SciCon's but am open to other suggestions.

Thanks.

I have a SciCon with the turn or "roller" system. I have no complaints about it. It is nice just to turn off and turn it in to the next bike.

However, I have read several reviews of people complaining of loosing the bag as the attachment fails on them. It is hard to know what is the incidence of the failure, as we only hear from the people with the failed part, not the happy users.

One key difference may be that I do not over-stuff it, and that my bag is not that big, thus the weight of the contents vs the effectiveness of the attachment may be on balance...
One tube, levers, and multi-tool (this being the heaviest). I would not dare to carry a phone or ID in there in fear that I'd loose them. Actually, I never put my phone or ID in the bags, always carry that in my back pocket anyway.

I thought I bring this up, so that you are aware of the common complaint with the roller attachment.
YMMV

EA120711
03-23-2014, 10:44 PM
If you can get your hands on one , the Ramblin Roll is the best I've used so far .
http://trackosaurusrex.bigcartel.com/product/ramblin-roll-cordura
Easy to use and secure .

thirdgenbird
03-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Many positive responses, so I guess plenty of people like using bags. They seem practical to me, but it sounded like it was against "the rules". Haha.

I have a small Scicon that was a waste of money because the Velcro is crap. The bag would fall off if I used it.

It doesn't look as clean as the arundel and costs a good bit more. Don't get me wrong, I think it would look cool on a rando, but I think the arundel would look better on your moser.

vqdriver
03-23-2014, 11:42 PM
I guess I don't get all the fuss about saddlebags. I use jandd bags and never had an issue. Looks? What looks? I don't want to see it. I just get a black one and it goes unnoticed. Seems like a lot of overthinking with these things.

donevwil
03-23-2014, 11:52 PM
I guess I don't get all the cuz about saddlebags. I use jandd bags and never had an issue. Looks? What looks? I don't want to see it. I just get a black one and it just goes unnoticed. Seems like a lot of overthinking with these things.

Funny, I buy a new seatbag every now and again. A year or so later I'm back to my 15 year old, beat-up Jandd. Fit's everything I need without being huge, two tubes, two levers, a boot, patch kit, a couple aspirin and a Gu.

Marburg
03-24-2014, 12:20 AM

I went on a "buy from small producers" kick for the holidays and bought an ILE bag for myself. I don't have any points of comparison (it replaced a 10+ y.o. Jandd that was stolen recently), but it seems nice enough. I'm curious how well it wears and how the single buckle-strap (there is no seatpost strap) holds up.

But, it fits what I need to carry. What more do I need?

Netdewt
03-24-2014, 06:39 AM
If you can get your hands on one , the Ramblin Roll is the best I've used so far .
http://trackosaurusrex.bigcartel.com/product/ramblin-roll-cordura
Easy to use and secure .

This looks nice but unavailable. I've had this one bookmarked for while. https://www.etsy.com/listing/101133679/bike-tool-roll-brown-with-black-strap?ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ref=sr_gallery_1

oldpotatoe
03-24-2014, 07:08 AM
DIY tool roll and a toe strap.

Chrome/Rapha/Rivendell/etc make tool rolls for reasonably cheap.

Also Soul Craft...sold at Vecchio's

sjbraun
03-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Another recommendation for Arundel. I have the Dual and it holds two tubes, two CO2 cartridges, an inflator, a tire lever, a multi-tool and a small boot.
I'm not sure how it all fits, but it does.
I love the look of the Mopha tool roll and bought one for my new Hampsten. But, while it looked cool, functionally, it didn't work with my saddle-seatpost combination. I wore a hole through the waxed canvas on my first ride. The bag snugs tight right against a bolt end on my Thomson post. I patched the hole with a piece of leather and thought I'd be good to go, but on the second ride, the toe strap failed to hold the bag.
It's back to Arundels for me.

Anyone want to try a Mopha tool roll? I have a "customized" one available for cheap.

holliscx
03-24-2014, 07:29 AM
This looks nice but unavailable.

If hunter green or khaki work for you email Kyle @ Golden Saddle Cyclery for he has those two in stock, just one of each I believe. He's planning to print new Ramblin' Rolls in about a month, fyi.

trackosaurusrex@gmail.com

dumbod
03-24-2014, 07:40 AM
I have the a fizik one also, And I'm curious what part of it failed.

I liked the ease of moving between fizik saddles.

I like the design as well - it's a big reason why I went to fizik in the first place but this is the second bag that's broken in four years. I understand planned obsolescence and everything but....

thirdgenbird
03-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Also Soul Craft...sold at Vecchio's

Interested but I don't see it on the Soulcraft site... Know the cost?

jt2gt
03-24-2014, 08:23 AM
I just ordered the tool roll bag from Roadrunner...they have the tool roll and a more traditional saddle bag:

http://roadrunnerbags.us/shop/toolsaddle-roll/

http://roadrunnerbags.us/shop/the-drafter-saddle-bag/

Don't have it yet...but will check back in when I do.

JT

oldpotatoe
03-24-2014, 08:37 AM

I didn't either, I think about $25, really well made. I Emailed jim@vecchios.com for more info..

cp43
03-24-2014, 08:43 AM

I think he meant Soulrun: http://soulrun.com/

Chris

oldpotatoe
03-24-2014, 08:58 AM
I think he meant Soulrun: http://soulrun.com/

Chris

Nope, from Sean Walling from Soulcraft, made by his wife.

cp43
03-24-2014, 09:00 AM

I was not aware they did saddle bags. Thanks for the correction.

Chris

Coluber42
03-24-2014, 09:12 AM
You can always make your own. It's not a complicated item, and that way you can make it whatever size and out of whatever material you like. I put up a free sewing pattern for an under-seat bag here:
http://www.dillpicklegear.com/pickle-project-make-your-own-wedge-style-saddle-pack/
The basic size is probably larger than you're looking for, but the instructions tell you how to modify it. Or you can just print the pattern smaller than 100% and it's scaled down automatically. It might sound intimidating, but really it shouldn't. Sewing is not rocket science, and even if you don't have a sewing machine, this item is small enough that you can sew it by hand and it won't take a ridiculously long time.

druptight
03-24-2014, 09:41 AM
I can't recommend this one highly enough:

http://www.lezyne.com/en/products/organizers/caddys#!micro-caddy-s-m

Doesn't touch your seatpost, doesn't ruin your shorts, doesn't get in the way of clamping your seatpost on the bike stand, stays tucked up high under your seat and you forget it's there. Comes in 2 sizes.

Jeff N.
03-24-2014, 09:48 AM
By far the best I've ever used is the Topeak Small Wedge Pack II. There's a clip that you install on your seat rails (no velcro setup!), and then you simply clip the bag onto that. It's well made, easily clips on and off, and has reflector tape sewn on, plus a loop that'll accept a flashing reflector/ light. They're on ebay for about 25 bucks or so. None better, IMO. Jeff N.

Bob Ross
03-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Then a Lezyne, the straps were way too long (!) and the velcro sucked.

I have a Lezyne on my commuter/foul weather bike, and I wound up super-glueing longer strips of stronger velcro over the existing crap. Still not my favorite seatbag, but I'm gonna keep using this crap bag on my crap bike until it disintegrates.

On my good bike I have an Arundel Dual.

rwsaunders
03-24-2014, 10:33 AM
I've had two Pedro's bags fail at the seam, beyond repair, and I really liked the idea of repurposing a tire tube. I'd try an Arundel in a minute, but they don't have a strap for a light attachment.

thirdgenbird
03-24-2014, 11:37 AM

I'm a Soulcraft fan, but my only connection is an old US made salsa stem.

Birddog
03-25-2014, 07:04 AM
I can't believe this thread is still going strong. As I stated in an earlier post, look at the "Detours" bags, I mistakenly called it a guppy but that is a different bag. The wedge bag is the one you want. These are seriously the best thought out, most durable seat bags I've ever seen. Their other bags warrant a close look too. http://www.detours.us/ click on small bags. I have no affiliation, I'm just a fan. It takes about 10 seconds to unfasten and maybe 30 seconds at most to fasten their bags. Quick changes are a snap.

jdwertz
03-25-2014, 07:44 AM
*Saddle bags are so not pro* :cool:

In all seriousness, I use the Leyzne Caddy sack and throw it in the back of my jersey.

corky
03-25-2014, 07:56 AM
All those beautiful bikes and people add a gorillas scrotum to it...... the stuff you put in 'em are what a Jersey's pockets are for

Netdewt
03-25-2014, 08:16 AM
All those beautiful bikes and people add a gorillas scrotum to it...... the stuff you put in 'em are what a Jersey's pockets are for

This?

Rule #29 // No European Posterior Man-Satchels.
Saddle bags have no place on a road bike, and are only acceptable on mountain bikes in extreme cases.

bobswire
03-25-2014, 08:36 AM
These are decent rolls http://nymb.co/products/road-runner-bags-tool-roll

Duende
03-25-2014, 09:20 AM
No one likes the prologo u-clip /top peak bags?

Seems sturdy to me. And has an optional seat post strap that can be used for extra support... But not realy needed.

I'm having a tough time manning up to rule #29. Switching from rolled up tubulars to a saddle bag never seemed like that much of a swap.

thirdgenbird
03-25-2014, 09:48 AM

Do you put a tubular in your pocket?

jt2gt
03-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Actually...small saddle bag is the proest of the pro. Check out most training vids of a group out without a car or a pro out training, they all have small saddle bags. In my early days of riding, I rode in huge Dallas area group rides and at the front were EDS team, Saturn and other domestic pros...everyone rode with the small Jandd bag.

I still have mine (I also thought it all should go in a jersey pocket, but learned the right way;)) and it works great. I took off the seat post velcro and use a velcro strap to hold it tight to the saddle rails. I use a roll bag when I need more stuff for longer rides.

christian
03-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Do you put a tubular in your pocket?
I do if I'm carrying two tubulars.

thirdgenbird
03-25-2014, 10:59 AM
I do if I'm carrying two tubulars.

I was hoping someone would say they wore it over their arms like in days past.

donevwil
03-25-2014, 11:16 AM
These are decent rolls http://nymb.co/products/road-runner-bags-tool-roll

Hey, that is a nice roll. Reasonably priced as well. Thanks.

cash05458
03-25-2014, 11:43 AM
take a look at Jandd bags...I dig those...good stuff...durable, simple and reasonable...

no velcro side straps as well via destroying a good pair of shorts...american made and lifetime warranty...good stuff...

oldpotatoe
03-25-2014, 11:48 AM
take a look at Jandd bags...I dig those...good stuff...durable, simple and reasonable...

I've had a small Jandd bag on my wet weather Moots for 4-5 years. Does what it is supposed to for not a lot of $. Out of the way, not scrotum-esque at all.

A tube, a patch kit, tire lever, $5. Never needed a tool kit.

cash05458
03-25-2014, 11:54 AM
yeah, I Like those alot Pete...they honor the warranty as well I have heard...have em all 4 of my bikes...you can get everything you need in the mini mountain wedge...two tubes as well co2 thing plus a few other things ect...good company...

enr1co
03-25-2014, 12:17 PM
I have both and I like the Tubi better; it's a bit easier to fit everything I want inside.

Just ordered a Tubi last week and hope to receive it today or tomorrow.

Need the skinny-ness of the tubi to mitigate the inner thigh/short rubbing.

Considered the Dual but with the 2" wide dimension, would be similar to
some asst bags I have.

bluesea
03-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Wouldn't the Dual's saddle rail straps eliminate rubbing?

Been using the Jandd mini, which when everything is pushed to the rear, doesn't cause rubbing even with the seatpost velcro.

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMTKB

Since I no longer carry CO2 am thinking of the Arundel Uno. Or maybe a Conti saddle bag with free tire tube?

enr1co
03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Wouldn't the Dual's saddle rail straps eliminate rubbing?

Possibly- but with my thunder thighs riding on a Fizik Antares, anything wider that the seat post seems to rub :eek:

The Tubi is supposed to be 1" wide so hoping this does the trick while still providing room for 2 x tubes, CO2, lever, mini tool, air head, spam musubi ;)

Joachim
03-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Possibly- but with my thunder thighs riding on a Fizik Antares, anything wider that the seat post seems to rub :eek:

The Tubi is supposed to be 1" wide so hoping this does the trick while still providing room for 2 x tubes, CO2, lever, mini tool, air head, spam musubi ;)

I have two Tubii :). I had one where the stitching came loose and they replaced it with a newer version. Both of them show signs of corrosion at the metal part. Not sure why since none of my other parts on the bike does. I think they should use better stainless steel, but I still like the bag.

crownjewelwl
03-25-2014, 01:41 PM

the dual is narrow so no rubbing

buldogge
03-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Tubi is where it's at...Strangely, I only use these on the bikes that don't have tubulars on them! I use Acorn Tubular bags on the (2) bikes running tubs.

I use the following bags:

-M Fizik bags
-Arundel Tubi
-Acorn Medium
-Acorn Tubular

FWIW

-Mark in St. Louis

enr1co
03-25-2014, 02:45 PM
the dual is narrow so no rubbing

From pics, the Dual does appear narrow.

Checked the spec dimensions and it stated it was 2" wide.

I have bags that measure 2 " wide which I experience rub based on my saddle/thighs so the Tubi measuring 1" is a safer bet.

cash05458
03-25-2014, 02:52 PM
"no velcro side straps as well "

jemoryl
03-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Actually...small saddle bag is the proest of the pro. Check out most training vids of a group out without a car or a pro out training, they all have small saddle bags. In my early days of riding, I rode in huge Dallas area group rides and at the front were EDS team, Saturn and other domestic pros...everyone rode with the small Jandd bag.

I still have mine (I also thought it all should go in a jersey pocket, but learned the right way;)) and it works great. I took off the seat post velcro and use a velcro strap to hold it tight to the saddle rails. I use a roll bag when I need more stuff for longer rides.

Pros don't need to worry about looking pro.

On my bike the biggest gorilla's scrotum is sitting on top of the seat, not underneath.

jt2gt
03-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Pros don't need to worry about looking pro.

They don't worry...they just are. Now you've really blown my mind.

jlwdm
03-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Arundel Dual x 3.

Jeff

choke
03-25-2014, 08:46 PM
From pics, the Dual does appear narrow.

Checked the spec dimensions and it stated it was 2" wide.

I have bags that measure 2 " wide which I experience rub based on my saddle/thighs so the Tubi measuring 1" is a safer bet.The Tubi is definitely thinner. FWIW mine measures about 1.5" wide, though it is pretty full.

jlwdm
03-25-2014, 09:10 PM
Arundel Dual x 3.

Jeff