PDA

View Full Version : Headset cartridge bearing, is this normal?

kramnnim
03-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Figured it was time to clean/regrease my headset bearings...popped the seals out and it looks like at least 3 more balls would fit. Is this normal?

http://i.snag.gy/dKvnm.jpg

Black Dog
03-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Seems strange but if it works no worries. Don't forget that you have all the bearings in contact with each other. Add a tiny space between them and they would fill the void (such as them having a carrier/cage). That is probably the number of bearings that works best for the space they occupy. Regardless, since the bearings have nothing but side load in a head set, a few missing bearings does not matter much. Add your grease, reaplce the seals and check again in 10 years...:)

ftwelder
03-24-2014, 04:45 AM
Figured it was time to clean/regrease my headset bearings...popped the seals out and it looks like at least 3 more balls would fit. Is this normal?

It's becoming more normal all the time. I was working on a friends enduro a few weeks ago and found the original bearings had more cage and fewer balls than any commercial bearing I had ever seen by 30%.

bewheels
03-24-2014, 05:06 AM
You should post the photo on the weight weenie forum as a weight saving measure.

I knew some folks in the 80's that would remove a wheel bearing or two in order to reduce friction for TT bikes.

regularguy412
03-24-2014, 06:16 PM
You should post the photo on the weight weenie forum as a weight saving measure.

I knew some folks in the 80's that would remove a wheel bearing or two in order to reduce friction for TT bikes.

Ergo ... 'ballsium' is the (relatively) new drillium?

Mike in AR:beer:

rustychisel
03-24-2014, 10:44 PM
Not uncommon.

With trackies it wasn't about weight saving but friction, and many used to strip all the grease from hubs and bottom brackets and run them with high viscosity oil.