PDA

View Full Version : Front Derailleur Clamp

msl819
03-23-2014, 08:54 AM
I have a braze on front mech but the frame needs a 34.9 clamp style. Do the clamps that accept braze on derailleurs work fine or am I better off purchasing the clamp style derailleur and calling it good?

winmonster
03-23-2014, 08:59 AM
The clamps work fine. I've used Parlee and Problem Solvers. No problems or issues with either one.

oldpotatoe
03-23-2014, 09:32 AM
I have a braze on front mech but the frame needs a 34.9 clamp style. Do the clamps that accept braze on derailleurs work fine or am I better off purchasing the clamp style derailleur and calling it good?

Not seen many clamps that don't work. Problem Solvers, Campagnolo, shimano, Miche...I've seen 2 Parlee ones that slipped tho.

oliver1850
03-23-2014, 01:24 PM
I've seen FDs that didn't fit Shimano adapters very well. The top of the mounting groove on a Shimano has a "roof" over it. Some FDs' mounting area extends far enough above the screw that it won't seat well because the top corner of the mounting surface makes contact with the radius inside the "roof". You can slot the hole in the adapter to move the FD down but you lose contact area and stiffness. If you're using a Shimano FD, I doubt there would be a problem but if you have another brand you might want to avoid the Shimano adapter.

izzyfuld
03-23-2014, 01:36 PM
FSA makes a killer clamp for cheap and pretty lightweight.
I'm using a shimano one on my 7900 FD. Attaches seamlessly.