PDA

View Full Version : Exercise induced asthma?

kramnnim
03-22-2014, 09:42 PM
I've noticed that sometimes I have some odd breathing issues while out riding, and the symptoms seem to line up with "Exercise induced asthma" (or maybe the correct term is bronchoconstriction, not asthma)

Do any of y'all have experience with this?

My symptoms seem to be...after long, hard efforts (today was 95% MHR for 30 minutes), I'll find myself very short of breath, even once I rest/softpedal, etc. If I try to take slow, deep breaths I feel a bit nauseous on the inhale. I can continue to ride, but take rapid, shallow breaths. Power and HR are of course affected, but I can keep riding for hours at a slowish pace. After an hour or so of not riding, I'm back to normal.

It doesn't happen all the time, and I haven't noticed it being more frequent in cold weather. No wheezing or coughing. And yes, I could and maybe should "ask my doctor", but other than some stitches from a cut, I haven't been to a doctor in many years...

bargainguy
03-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Yep, certainly could be. Cold & exercise have been triggers for me. Shoveling snow was killer and I'm from the upper midwest, not a good combo.

As far as treatment: Bronchodilators like albuterol inhalers before/during exercise sometimes help.

You can also aim to "break through the wall." Once you push through exercise-induced asthma in any session, you're free from it for the rest of the session. The usual disclaimers: Ask your doctor or pharmacist, your mileage may vary, etc., etc.

Lewis Moon
03-22-2014, 09:58 PM
It happens to me, mostly during allergy season. Feels like I'm breathing through a straw. Talk to a doctor. Advair and Albuterol worked for me. The harder you go the more inflammation.

thwart
03-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Your story is a bit atypical for exercise induced asthma; it usually occurs earlier in a workout, and then there is clearing of symptoms as bargainguy described above.

Could certainly still be the case, but other possibilities also come to mind.

Seeing your doc sounds like the smart move.

EPOJoe
03-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Do you feel a restriction in the lungs when you try to draw in a breath, such that it feels you have to force the air into your lungs, or is it that you just can't "catch" your breath, such that no matter how many breaths you take, it feels like you're not getting appropriate oxygen into your lungs?

kramnnim
03-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Do you feel a restriction in the lungs when you try to draw in a breath, such that it feels you have to force the air into your lungs, or is it that you just can't "catch" your breath, such that no matter how many breaths you take, it feels like you're not getting appropriate oxygen into your lungs?

More like the latter...airways don't feel restricted. It doesn't feel alarming, like I've been holding my breath and am gasping for air... The deep inhale just doesn't feel right (nauseous when I try), so I do the short/rapid/shallow breaths...and this limited breathing keeps me from getting enough oxygen to put forth much effort into pedaling.

kramnnim
03-22-2014, 10:39 PM
...I guess since bronchoconstriction is narrowing of the airways, my issue is probably something else?

thwart
03-23-2014, 05:39 AM
Hmmm… hard to tell for sure…

http://www.reportingonhealth.org/files/u47/Doctor%20-%20Internet.jpg

I stand by my previous recommendation. ;)

shovelhd
03-23-2014, 07:08 AM
I have it and use salmbuterol as a preventative. What you are experiencing sounds more like improper technique, but see a doctor.

bironi
03-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Asthma, yes. Many cyclists have it, myself included. Welcome to the club nobody signed up for.

tiretrax
03-23-2014, 11:45 AM
All my life. I find that forcing out air as far as possible and taking deep breaths for 10 (or more) repetitions generally clears the issue for me. It worked for a panicked woman I encountered at mile 60 of an 80 mile ride (although, most of her issues seemed psychosomatic IMHO and concurred with the trauma nurse I was riding with that day).

2LeftCleats
03-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Doesn't sound like asthma to me. If these are new symptoms, I wouldn't take internet advice--except this: get a real exam and a real opinion.

Birddog
03-23-2014, 01:00 PM
After seeing an MD, look into Ayurvedic Yoga. it might help. There are great numbers of people that don't know how to breathe, esp when engaged in athletic pursuits. Exhaling properly is far more important than inhaling.

EPOJoe
03-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Hmm...doesn't sound like asthma to me (which I have) which typically feels like a restriction in the lungs, but I've also experienced something similar to what you're describing...not seemingly being able to get enough air in the lungs even though I'm breathing freely. It always passes quickly for me, but I have no idea what it is. As others have said, best to run this by a doc. At the very least, he can get you a script for a rescue inhaler, and you can see if the inhaler clears up the problem next time it happens.

shovelhd
03-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Mine shows as a tightness in the throat. Within a minute fluid builds up making breathing more difficult.

Black Dog
03-23-2014, 06:04 PM
It sounds like your efforts are causing you to become anoxic and irritating your lungs more so than asthma. The way you feel is not unusual for that type of effort. When I raced this was normal after a TT or serious climb etc…when we were in or beyond our LT. When we went to race in Europe, this was how we (Canadian boys) all felt after the first 20km...:eek: By the way, if you did barf on your bike you would not be the first to do so…;)

bart998
03-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Plus, it's spring! I only have asthma problems in spring, due to hayfever.