PDA

View Full Version : 29er tire recommendations

d_douglas
03-22-2014, 03:54 PM
I am looking for some full-figured tires for all around use. My max width is apparently 2.3 and it is going on a rigid steel hardtail.

I am looking for suggestions for all purpose tires for the Pacific Northwest.

Competitive cyclist is blowing Continental Mountain king and and they are well reviewed but they only have 2.4" models. My frame suggests a max of 2.3" but a quick read suggests that Conti 29er tires are usually smaller in reality (like a 2.2") Does anyone out there have this tire and can they measure it inflated?

Does anyone have other suggestions? Big volume for big play, please! I am using a DT x470 rim for reference.

Thanks for any feedback

Darren

Camelstache
03-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Go with Maxxis Ikons 2.35. They are big, race weight light, and for mixed terrain.

Other options...put a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in front...or a Kenda Nevegal 2.2 in front. Both are heavier...but very burly...but slower. Put a Kenda Slant Six in the back...or the Ikon..or something else fast, and you're good to go.

Stay away from Conti Mtb tires. I tried them twice, and they always get weird bulges when I mount them tubeless. Now I have one lying around as a "just in case" last minute spare...the cross king I believe.

Always had success with Maxxis and Kenda. Stick with those and don't be afraid to mix and match

JAGI410
03-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Conti XKing! I love these tires in 26", if I had a 29er I'd run them without thinking twice. Great all around tire for singletrack, pavement, or gravel.

http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/mtb/cc_marathon/XKing_en.html

Camelstache
03-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Conti XKing! I love these tires in 26", if I had a 29er I'd run them without thinking twice. Great all around tire for singletrack, pavement, or gravel.

http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/mtb/cc_marathon/XKing_en.html

To be fair to the xking, I LIKE the tread pattern and the way that they handled, but they don't play nice tubeless with my current set up...Velocity Blunt SLs.

Vonruden
03-22-2014, 08:11 PM
I 2nd the Maxxis Ikon's. Kenda small block's as well.

markie
03-22-2014, 08:33 PM
I like...

For the back:
Schwalbe nobby nic 2.2
Kenda karma 2.2
Racing ralph 2.2

For the front:

Ardent 2.4
Hans Dampf 2.4
Racing Ralph 2.4

dogdriver
03-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Used the Conti MK for a while-- a fine tire in Alpine conditions, but it seemed to wear quickly. Being lazy, I hate changing tires more than necessary. Tried the Nobby Nic on a recommend from a friend and dig them. They ride great, and set up tubeless effortlessly (mount, pour in some Stan's, seat the bead, hit with a compressor, adjust pressure, forget for 6 months) on Stan's Flow rims. I'll use them until something better comes along.

Germany_chris
03-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Racing Ralph for me for snything that needs nobby. You really should buy tires for your terrain though

p nut
03-23-2014, 10:14 AM
What frame do you have?

I also second the Ikon and Racing Ralph suggestions. I've run both and they're great. Although for the front, I like chunkier tires like Ardent. Depending on our rim size, you may be able to get it to fit. It would work better for your NorthWet conditions. I would probably go 2.25" Ardent over the other two tires.

tuco
03-23-2014, 12:01 PM
I am looking for some full-figured tires for all around use. My max width is apparently 2.3 and it is going on a rigid steel hardtail.

I am looking for suggestions for all purpose tires for the Pacific Northwest.

Competitive cyclist is blowing Continental Mountain king and and they are well reviewed but they only have 2.4" models. My frame suggests a max of 2.3" but a quick read suggests that Conti 29er tires are usually smaller in reality (like a 2.2") Does anyone out there have this tire and can they measure it inflated?

Does anyone have other suggestions? Big volume for big play, please! I am using a DT x470 rim for reference.

Thanks for any feedback

Darren
The Competitive Cyclist website lacked specifics on the Contis. Same tire comes in different flavors. I passed .. looking for "ProTection" and "Black Chili" tires.
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/mtb.shtml

Mtn King II 2.4 is about 2.28 on a Syntace W30 rim.
Mtn King II 2.2 is about 2.05 on a Syntace W30 rim.

Maxxis Ardent 2.4 is about 2.44 at the widest part (knobs) on a Mavic Crossmax SLR 29er wheelset. These can be be run tubeless .. the 2.2 is not quite as robust.

The Ardent 2.4 is a nice tire. Too wide for my XC bike, hence the Contis. I may go front and back with the Mtn King II 2.4 for XC/Trail more punishing rides.

Your (BC-based) Rocky Mountain bike maker puts the Mtn King II on the BC Edition of the Instinct 29er? There are threads on pinkbike, I think, re: best tire for the North Shore.

Good luck!

skijoring
03-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Nobby Nic up front, runs a true 2.35 or 2.4. Ralph in back.

But yeah you gotta try out some different tires on terrain in your backyard.

JAGI410
03-23-2014, 12:07 PM
To be fair to the xking, I LIKE the tread pattern and the way that they handled, but they don't play nice tubeless with my current set up...Velocity Blunt SLs.

They mounted up perfectly on my Stan's Flow rims, and I've only ever run them tubeless.

jasond
03-23-2014, 12:19 PM
I like...

For the back:
Schwalbe nobby nic 2.2
Kenda karma 2.2
Racing ralph 2.2

For the front:

Ardent 2.4
Hans Dampf 2.4
Racing Ralph 2.4

I too like the above setups. Currently running a Racing Ralph 2.2 on the rear and a Hans Dampf 2.4 on the front on my 29er.

d_douglas
03-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Yes, agreed hat I need to get local input - I was hoping there'd be some PNW locals here.

Problem w shops is that they sell stuff, so any recommendations are biased.

One trusted guy here said Contis are good, as well as certain Maxxis. He also said that he has heard good things about Spec tubeless, but doesn't sell or use them.

He said that Schwalbes were not up to speed for local riding (though my CX tires are doing just fine)

Just one mans opinion, I spose . . .

jasond
03-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Yes, agreed hat I need to get local input - I was hoping there'd be some PNW locals here.

Problem w shops is that they sell stuff, so any recommendations are biased.

One trusted guy here said Contis are good, as well as certain Maxxis. He also said that he has heard good things about Spec tubeless, but doesn't sell or use them.

He said that Schwalbes were not up to speed for local riding (though my CX tires are doing just fine)

Just one mans opinion, I spose . . .

Tires are such a personal thing, sort of like a saddle. I ride in NH/MA area in mostly rocky and rooted trails and schwalbes do fine for me. Can spend some time on Mtbr forum. Probably get 100 responses and many of them would be different from the next guy. Or I'm sure they already have a thread going for this exact question in a sub forum for your area.

josephr
03-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Conti Trail King -- killer grip....especially in less than ideal conditions --- wet roots are no longer a slip concern. Maybe ride a little slower in the hard-pack/faster sections but that's the typical trade-off. I ride the 2.2s but they measure out quite a bit more as they're quite but they're probably cushy too for a hard-tail.

(other than McEwen), I've found best deals for Conti on biketiresdirect.com
Joe