PDA

View Full Version : Feed Zone portables

dsimon
03-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Who has this book and is it work purchasing? Im looking for something different on my bike rides I don't like Gels I usually PBand honey squares or banana. I am just curios thank you

tele
03-22-2014, 11:48 AM
I dont have the book but I tried the recipe for the rice/bacon/egg things and they rocked! The recipe was on Velonews last year: http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/12/news/video-learn-to-make-allen-lims-famous-rice-cakes_200812

Peter P.
03-22-2014, 11:52 AM
I'd say it's worth buying.

The first 52 pages is a detailed treatise regarding on the bike nutrition. It could be a book in itself.

And there's more than just rice cake recipes; fruit pies, waffles, pancakes, and egg based foods for on the go nutrition.

But think outside the box with these recipes as well; if you don't like them for on the bike nourishment and you can eat them when you return from a ride. Just keep a batch frozen and pull out small quantities to thaw as needed.

gavingould
03-22-2014, 12:03 PM
I have the regular Feed Zone book that has a few portable options in there, I found them to be very solid for on-the-bike eats.

kasak
03-22-2014, 02:17 PM
I have a copy but it wouldn't be on my must buy list. The first section on nutrition is worthwhile but I found the recipes a bit disappointing. The general goal seems to be eating food with higher moisture content when on the bike. That much seems like a good idea as it genuinely hits the stomach better than off the shelf options. The portables part I'm less sold on. High moisture content in a jersey pocket can be more of a mess than a meal, and if the recipe calls for sticky rice and honey to be wrapped in plastic... just don't. Another annoyance was most recipes only last for about 3 days and the stock directions often had me making too much for two people. This really struck me as more support car food than BYO power bar.

That said, there are a some recipes that agree with me, and you'll likely find something to offset the PB&honey square intake too. Just know you may have to try a few to find one that is a keeper. Most of the time I end up eating half a cliff bar with an extra sip of water. It's pretty close and it's a lot easier for on the bike food. If I want off the bike food, it's pretty easy to cook up something much better.

FlashUNC
03-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Big fan of the portables book.

I'd definitely recommend it.

dekindy
03-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Recently purchased the book and feel it is worthwhile. I will comment on the recipes as I will probably be trying them in the next couple of weeks.

Tony T
03-23-2014, 07:44 AM
The current edition of Wired just interviewed Lim. He hinted that he may be coming out with a pre-packaged bar