PDA

View Full Version : Way, WAY OT-how to sell albums

oldpotatoe
03-22-2014, 08:18 AM
So I got about 100 albums, ABBA to Wings Over America, Neil Diamond, Carly Simon, Janis Ian, Judy Collins, Phil Collins, Chicago, Beach Boys.....you get the idea.

They weigh a ton, local record store doesn't want them, they are really too heavy to ship the lot...

What to do with them?

List available...not looking to retire on the $, they take a lot of room, HUGE plastic container.

cat6
03-22-2014, 08:30 AM
garage sale or donation to local Salvation Army. if you wanted to maximize your $ you could split them into lots of 5-10 with 1-2 of the more desirable albums with 3-4 of the less and sell on eBay.

Steve in SLO
03-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Sounds like you have some good old classics there.
There must be a used record store/music store in the Republic. You may want to search for one and take the bunch in. You won't get rich from them, but at least you'll have them out of your house. Likely they will not search through them album by album for anything which may have great value, rather they will just give you a blanket dollar to several dollars per album. Failing this, there is always Craigslist.
If you can think of any early (first record) recordings from well-known artists, or any others that you bought immediately upon their release that may be first pressings, then there may be some value. Certain album covers are worth more than others, as well. Audiophile and master recordings, as well as imported LPs are always worth something. It may take it may be worth a few minutes to pull the ones you suspect may be in this category and check them out on eBay to see what their prices were.
Best of luck. I am in the same boat, but haven't gotten as far as you.

GeekBoy
03-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Post them to craigslist, chances are a local vinyl collector will pick them up.

thwart
03-22-2014, 08:38 AM
What… ?

Old spud, admirer of the down tube shifter and Italian threaded BB's, is getting out of vinyl?

What has the world come to? :eek:

oldpotatoe
03-22-2014, 09:08 AM
What… ?

Old spud, admirer of the down tube shifter and Italian threaded BB's, is getting out of vinyl?

Yep, had a technics turn table...and a DBX, Pioneer amp, Bose 901s..all gone south,

Craig's list..great idea..I'll sell 'em by the pound..

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-22-2014, 09:09 AM
What… ?

Well he just did a buid with EPS.

RedRider
03-22-2014, 09:17 AM
What… ?

I heard he's switching to 8 track...

Anarchist
03-22-2014, 09:24 AM
I took most of mine to the neighbour's place when they were doing a garage sale, about the third person to arrive made a bee-line for them, looked at the first 5 or 6 titles and then asked me if I'd take $100 for all of them.

Yes.

They are now gone out of my basement and as you say any alternative means of trying to get rid of them is just impractical.

dave thompson
03-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Check with your local PBS radio station. They may have an outlet for you.

jtakeda
03-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Craigslist, garage sale. Or if you have the time ebay them.....individually.

Or Discogs.com if you want to maximize the $

Ken Robb
03-22-2014, 10:40 AM
we have at least two stores in San Diego that buy/sell lots of vinyl. If there is no such place in Boulder how about Denver? Of course the stores I mention only deal in records that are in excellent condition so the sound quality is not compromised.

tiretrax
03-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Is there a used book store nearby - Half Price Books carries them. Otherwise, you could use them as shingles or heat them and shape them into bowls and ashtrays which are sold at the Smithsonian and ar museums.

Peter P.
03-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Check the classified ads in the local newspapers, as well as the Advocate if you have a similar free news and arts weekly. Our local paper always has ads for someone seeking record collections.

pbarry
03-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Time and effort factored into the equation, you might be better off donating them to the Hospice, Humane Society, or Goodwill thrift stores and valuing them generously on the donation slip.

jtakeda
03-22-2014, 12:40 PM
By the way, Peter, knowing what records you have.

Please separate the Beatles and sell them on their own. You'll get more money this way. Most likely anyone who buys the collection will buy only for these.

learningtoride
03-22-2014, 12:41 PM

oldpotatoe
03-22-2014, 01:34 PM
I had some old vinyl - supertramp, fleetwood mac, that whole genre really lol- and I was unsure if any of them really had any value- I surfed around on Ebay and found some collectors- (this was a few years ago) and messaged them, I ended up getting a little cash for some of the queen and beatles etc- and was pretty surprised at how many people wanted my old gems, I know retirement keeps you busy ;)- but if youve got the ambition, that is one way to try-
just thought I'd share! Hope youre well!

Retirement is tremendous. Just want to move them. None are NOS condition although some do look 'as new'. If I got $3-$5 per, I'd be happy. Ain't gonna do the eBay thing for a few, life's too short. None are in the $zillion range.

Anybody want to see the list?

Scuzzer
03-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Anybody want to see the list?

Sure, why not?

If I got $3-$5 per, I'd be happy.

Don't get your hopes up so high, most standard 70s stuff sells for around that in a used record store. Odds are you have a few that are worth something and a whole lot that are worth less than a buck. I usually buy at around a buck a piece from local CL type folks.

If you let someone cherry pick the few good ones you'll end up giving the rest to a charity.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Sure, why not?

Don't get your hopes up so high, most standard 70s stuff sells for around that in a used record store. Odds are you have a few that are worth something and a whole lot that are worth less than a buck. I usually buy at around a buck a piece from local CL type folks.

If you let someone cherry pick the few good ones you'll end up giving the rest to a charity.

PM your email. I have no 'hopes', just want to move them....all of them, you are local, come get em.

BryanE
03-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Sorry to tell you they aren't worth anything.
Let alone the 3-5 bucks you think they are worth.
I used to have a few thousand LPs.
The only ones that fetch any money
are the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab audiophile LPs.
You have standard rock LPs that were made in the millions.
Give then away or throw them out when you get sick of lugging them outside to yard sales and no one calls about your Craigslist ad.

don compton
03-22-2014, 08:37 PM
So I got about 100 albums, ABBA to Wings Over America, Neil Diamond, Carly Simon, Janis Ian, Judy Collins, Phil Collins, Chicago, Beach Boys.....you get the idea.

They weigh a ton, local record store doesn't want them, they are really too heavy to ship the lot...

What to do with them?

List available...not looking to retire on the $, they take a lot of room, HUGE plastic container.
You have some great stuff.( I am 62 ). Fortunately for me, I digitized all my music.
There some hardcore, music fanatics that would love some of your collection. But of course, condition is everything.

don compton
03-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Yep, had a technics turn table...and a DBX, Pioneer amp, Bose 901s..all gone south,

Craig's list..great idea..I'll sell 'em by the pound..
How about a Marantz receiver, BIC turn table, and JBL speakers?:)

oldpotatoe
03-23-2014, 06:27 AM
You have some great stuff.( I am 62 ). Fortunately for me, I digitized all my music.
There some hardcore, music fanatics that would love some of your collection. But of course, condition is everything.

But, but, but BryanE, right above said I wouldn't even get a Craig's list call.....

I think I'll try anyway..and let him know if I do get a call..CL freebie afterall.

Birddog
03-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Get a friend and a 22 cal rifle or 410 guage shotgun and take them out to some rural location. Have your friend fling them in the air frisbee style and you shoot them down, it's great fun and improves your marksmanship. After awhile, fling them for your friend. It would be nice if you could locate a nice rural dump but those don't exist anymore, at least legally.

Joel
03-23-2014, 02:46 PM
And on the third hand...

Had a bunch of them also that were counterweights to the bookshelves. 20 years service as such.

Went a bought a $125 turntable at best buy and hooked it up through some old klipsch speakers. Then spliced them into the feed for the speakers by the pool.

Indoor / outdoor audio awesomeness!

Just an idea...

Joel

rnhood
03-23-2014, 03:03 PM
I threw all my albums, except the Mobile Fidelity, Nautilus, Classic Records and Reference Recording albums. I probably need to go ahead and sell these but at this moment, they are not losing any value. But standard LP's, there really not worth much. In fact more trouble than they are worth imho even though some are very good.

ultraman6970
03-23-2014, 03:45 PM
If you are lucky you might have one or two that worth some money.

Vinyl records are coming back man... if you have a list one of my friends my want a few.

BryanE
03-23-2014, 03:46 PM
But, but, but BryanE, right above said I wouldn't even get a Craig's list call.....

I think I'll try anyway..and let him know if I do get a call..CL freebie afterall.

Oh for sure tater do run em on Craigslist.
I would love to be proven wrong. Again.
Please post the responses you get.

I had some MOFI Ultradiscs for sale on CL.
The guy was going to buy four of them.
Just happened to be the 4 he had been looking for.
Then an email came in and his daughter stole all his money from his checkbook and he didn't even have enough money for his pain meds.
He had no legs and was in a wheelchair.......

Ken Robb
03-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Oh for sure tater do run em on Craigslist.
I would love to be proven wrong. Again.
Please post the responses you get.

I had some MOFI Ultradiscs for sale on CL.
The guy was going to buy four of them.
Just happened to be the 4 he had been looking for.
Then an email came in and his daughter stole all his money from his checkbook and he didn't even have enough money for his pain meds.
He had no legs and was in a wheelchair.......

oops.

pbarry
03-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Get a friend and a 22 cal rifle or 410 guage shotgun and take them out to some rural location. Have your friend fling them in the air frisbee style and you shoot them down, it's great fun and improves your marksmanship. After awhile, fling them for your friend. It would be nice if you could locate a nice rural dump but those don't exist anymore, at least legally.

Great idea. There is a quasi-legal shooting area west of the Republic.

downtube
03-23-2014, 04:37 PM
I have about 800 LP's from the mid 60's to the mid 80's. Beatles , stones, pink floyd, zeppelin, early fleetwood mac ect. I know they are worthless but my head won't let me get rid of them. Somehow all those hours of listening to music with my friends just make them a big part of my life. I just recently gave away my 50 year collection of every car, bicycle, motorcycle home improvement magazine I have ever purchased. There were over 50 banana boxes of magazines. yikes!
chuck

jtakeda
03-23-2014, 04:54 PM
I have about 800 LP's from the mid 60's to the mid 80's. Beatles , stones, pink floyd, zeppelin, early fleetwood mac ect. I know they are worthless but my head won't let me get rid of them. Somehow all those hours of listening to music with my friends just make them a big part of my life. I just recently gave away my 50 year collection of every car, bicycle, motorcycle home improvement magazine I have ever purchased. There were over 50 banana boxes of magazines. yikes!
chuck

I might have to take a look at some of your records.

Birddog
03-23-2014, 05:52 PM
chuck
You might have a problem.

downtube
03-23-2014, 08:30 PM
You might have a problem.

Oh yea I have a problem, the only thing that keeps it in check at all is my wife is the opposite and likes to keep nothing. I had to take over the shed for my junk, At least bikes are smaller than cars and motorcycles.
chuck

Russell
03-24-2014, 12:46 PM
100...I've got over 2K and they aint going anywhere. Libraries sometimes will take them. I think you can write that off