PDA

View Full Version : Bike shop recs in the Twin Cities area?

thegunner
03-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Hey collective braintrust, i have a friend at UMn right now who has a busted rim on a wheelset i sent over to her. it's a DT 240s set with what i believe to be rr465's.

she brought it to a bike shop and was quoted $300 for the rim replacement - which is ridiculous, that cost more than i paid for the wheelset!

any suggestions on good shops in the area? or specific wheelbuilders? or maybe a friendly forumite who wants to teach her how to build / true a wheel (she's been wanting to pick it up as a hobby, but lacks the equipment)

thirdgenbird
03-20-2014, 07:18 PM
I had Angry Catfish build a wheelset for me. Due to weather I haven't ridden it yet, but it looks great. Price was much less than $300 for all the spokes and labor.

Good coffee too

thegunner
03-20-2014, 07:27 PM
I had Angry Catfish build a wheelset for me. Due to weather I haven't ridden it yet, but it looks great. Price was much less than $300 for all the spokes and labor.

Good coffee too

ha, that's what i told her - in NYC it's $50 for a wheelbuild from a decent shop + spokes/rim. no way it should be $300 for a single wheel...

thirdgenbird
03-20-2014, 07:53 PM
I would send her to AC. If they swap for the same rim I can't believe it would cost much...

gavingould
03-20-2014, 08:09 PM
even though I've never been there, I'd also say Angry Catfish to anyone looking for a twin cities shop.

commonguy001
03-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Angry Catfish is a good shop with guys who know their stuff from bike fit to wheel building. Bought my Ti Warbird from them
As mentioned they also have some really good coffee!

saab2000
03-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Just to throw it off a bit, ask for Dan at Grand Performance in St. Paul. Grand Ave and Prior, near the University of St. Thomas and just west of Macalester College.

Otherwise, yeah, Angry Catfish is a pretty cool shop. Been there and I like it.

Plus, you can buy Rapha clothing right there if you want to create some controversy here on this forum. They have it in stock.

thegunner
03-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Just to throw it off a bit, ask for Dan at Grand Performance in St. Paul. Grand Ave and Prior, near the University of St. Thomas and just east of Macalester College.

Otherwise, yeah, Angry Catfish is a pretty cool shop. Been there and I like it.

Plus, you can buy Rapha clothing right there if you want to create some controversy here on this forum. They have it in stock.

i think first thing's first - sending her to angry catfish. they should be good.

thirdgenbird
03-20-2014, 09:29 PM
Grand performance is also a good visit.

Twincheez
03-21-2014, 12:05 AM
I would be willing to help your friend. I'm in the western suburbs please pm me for arrangements.

paulh
03-21-2014, 04:58 AM
Good coffee too

Great coffee!

gomango
03-21-2014, 05:13 AM

Good coffee too

Just another vote for these two shops.

Tom at AC has built two sets of wheels for me since the onset of RA and he does such nice work.

However, Lee at Grand Performance has also taken care of my bikes for years and Dan before that. God only knows how many times they've touched up my wheels after I "built" them.

We are spoiled rotten with these shops.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2014, 06:28 PM

Good coffee too

Rim is about $100, spokes about $25, labor to build varies, I charge $65. If they use the same rim, maybe reuse the spokes.

abelson
03-22-2014, 08:18 PM
For wheel builds I would go to Jim at Hiawatha Cyclery

Busstuf
03-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Angry Catfish will treat you right!

choricoff
03-23-2014, 10:59 AM
I was in Minneapolis a few years ago and went to a really cool shop called One on One (http://www.oneononebike.com/service.html). Since I was just browsing, I cannot vouch for the quality of their services. I did meet one of their mechanics who built wheels for them - an eccentric old man who seemed very knowledgeable.

It was a really interesting shop to visit regardless of whether your friend ends up getting the wheel repaired there. They had a ton used bikes and parts of varying quality in their basement (which was referred to as the junkyard). Also - good coffee in the front of the shop.

Stan Lee
03-23-2014, 11:10 AM
One on One is a great place, it's been around for years. The owner use to race for Bridgestone and is a great guy. They've got a cool collection of vintage bikes and know what they are doing mechanically. It has a huge following with a bunch of history, well worth the visit