PDA

View Full Version : HED Ardennes Wheelset - Quick Review

19wisconsin64
03-20-2014, 04:22 PM
The following is a quick review, by me- a regular rider, of the HED Ardennes SL clincher wheel set, stallion build (extra spokes).

The claims: better cornering, lower rolling resistance, smoother ride.

My quick review: yes, yes, and yes.

Magic carpet ride.

Previous wheel sets owned: Dura Ace clinchers, mavic open pro's laced to dura ace hubs, Zipp training clinchers (2006).

The wider rims do make a difference. Impressive.

Got these wheels from a fellow forum member too! Best $500 I spent on a bike part ever.

Cheers

nublar
03-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Yep, best wheels I've ever owned. But I think that's because they are the widest. You can probably get the same thing out of a much cheaper rim like the archetype or a23.

Dave Wages
03-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Agreed, I love spec'ing Ardennes and the new Ardennes+ wheels on my bikes for exactly these reasons. I've had a set of Ardennes for over 4 years, done quite a few gravel rides and banged more than my share of potholes and yet I've never needed to true them. Bomber, and they really do improve the ride, what more could you want?

Cheers,
Dave

Bruce K
03-20-2014, 04:50 PM
I ain't sayin' how many Ardennes sets are in the house but one per bike plus spare set for cx bike (both tubular)

Plus A set or two of Jets (9 & disc in TT bike)

Best wheels I've ever owned

BK

CNY rider
03-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Great to hear.
I bought them when CC had their blowout sale.
I'm thinking winter will end up here by July 4th weekend and I will get to try them out!

OtayBW
03-20-2014, 05:30 PM
^ I've been riding them for the last 4 years and then bought an extra set myself at the CC blowout. Now I'm, looking for an interesting frame for them.....:banana:. Whoops! I mean :eek:

PaMtbRider
03-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Agreed on all accounts. I just built a set of c2 rims around dt swiss hubs. Only 2 or 3 rides so far but they ride great.

Ride first....work later!!!!!

Veloo
03-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Are you riding them with 23 mm tires or wider? Seems the trend is to put 25 mm tires on these 23 mm rims.

professerr
03-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Yup, I like the Ardennes a lot too.

When Competitive Cyclist had a sale on the Ardennes FR fro $650 a while back I snagged a pair. I've swapped them back and forth with a pair of C24 7900s on the same bike. Same tires (25mm Vittoria Open Corsa, with latex tubes).

The HEDs definitely ride better. They are more compliant and comfortable at all pressures (I weigh 155, and I liked them best around 90psi rear/85 front). And I like the road feel better too. The C24 seem to smooth out the pavement texture better, but then they also transmit the initial impact of small bumps more, and larger bumps the most. Is this because the C24s are carbon, or 2mm narrower so the tire profile/volume is different? Who knows. The difference is not huge, but anyone here would notice it I bet -- at least as big as, say, going from a 25mm to a 28mm tire.

The HEDs definitely descend significantly better. There’s something about the way the HEDs transmit road feel and absorb pavement irregularities that gives me more confidence cornering down fast descents. The rougher the surface the more pronounced this is, but they are better even on smooth roads. It is akin to a cornering on motorcycle when the spring rate and compression and rebound settings are just right. And the turn-in, or rate that the bike leans over into a corner, feels more predictable too.

So far, 400 miles in, the HEDs are dead true. (C24s have about 2K and they are still very true too.)

MadRocketSci
03-21-2014, 12:00 PM
The following is a quick review, by me- a regular rider, of the HED Ardennes SL clincher wheel set, stallion build (extra spokes).

Magic carpet ride.

Previous wheel sets owned: Dura Ace clinchers, mavic open pro's laced to dura ace hubs, Zipp training clinchers (2006).

Got these wheels from a fellow forum member too! Best $500 I spent on a bike part ever.

Cheers

hey do you mind sharing how much you weigh? I'm wondering if lighter folks under say $1.70 can get a decent ride from the stallion builds. The low spoke counts on the regular builds make me nervous....

joep2517
03-21-2014, 12:10 PM
This maybe a stupid question - but is the difference in the four different models the hubs and skewers? Are the rims the same in all four models? Thanks.

Black Dog
03-21-2014, 01:39 PM
This maybe a stupid question - but is the difference in the four different models the hubs and skewers? Are the rims the same in all four models? Thanks.

Mostly hubs and type and number of spokes.

beeatnik
03-21-2014, 01:46 PM
I bought the same wheelz from CC during that sale. They felt sluggish and soft on a CAAD10. However, they were comfy and fast.

FlashUNC
03-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Their 190lb weight limit on this means I need to put down the donuts.

Tony
03-21-2014, 09:02 PM
hey do you mind sharing how much you weigh? I'm wondering if lighter folks under say $1.70 can get a decent ride from the stallion builds. The low spoke counts on the regular builds make me nervous....

I have around 600 miles on the low spoke count model, 24R, 18F. Maybe 200 on dirt with cross tires. Had your same concern. At 160-165 lbs the wheels seem strong and are as true as the day I got them. So far I've been happy with them. I got the wheels on sale from CC. I would have preferred the 24R, 20F but the 24, 18 is all they had left.

19wisconsin64
03-22-2014, 06:15 AM
The weight limit on the regular model is 190 pounds. I generally weigh about 175 to 180 year round, and ride as fast as possible sometimes, so didn't want to risk having a wheel issue at high speed.

Once, about four years ago, I had a rear spoke break at high speed around a bend with the results being many broken bones. So my 2 cents is: better safe than sorry if you are on the high side of the "weight limit".

....... these wheels are so good it's like I'm experiencing cycling for the first time. fast, comfortable, and stable in the corners-just amazing!

Climb01742
03-22-2014, 07:40 AM
are the HED hubs good hubs? or get a wheelbuilder to use HED rims with hubs of your choice? thx.

Busstuf
03-22-2014, 07:59 AM
I have a set that looks like it will be delivered today. Can't wait to get them on!

Tony
03-22-2014, 09:02 AM
One thing I didn't care for the whole rim is covered with HED Ardennes stickers. I took them off and just left the HED logo, looks better.

pzung
03-22-2014, 09:19 AM

Magic carpet ride.

Cheers

I love my Ardennes FR. Put on some Vittoria EVO CX tires and they are teh best!

zott28
05-29-2014, 01:20 PM
The weight limit on the regular model is 190 pounds. I generally weigh about 175 to 180 year round, and ride as fast as possible sometimes, so didn't want to risk having a wheel issue at high speed.

Once, about four years ago, I had a rear spoke break at high speed around a bend with the results being many broken bones. So my 2 cents is: better safe than sorry if you are on the high side of the "weight limit".

....... these wheels are so good it's like I'm experiencing cycling for the first time. fast, comfortable, and stable in the corners-just amazing!

I read weight limits on HED's website (https://www.hedcycling.com/ardennes/plus.asp?content=PLUSsl) as followed:
18/24 Black bladed Sapim CX-Ray spokes (under 225lbs)
20/28 Black bladed Stallion (max 250lbs)

Does anyone have real world experiences that disproves this. Everything I've read so far is that these are pretty tough wheels. I'm between 190-200lbs and I think I'm going with 18/24. I've been historically easy on wheels.

brando
05-29-2014, 01:39 PM
I'm slightly heavier than you and have had my ardennes sl for a couple of years with 100% good experiences. The cheaper hed wheel sets have hubs that are deeply flawed, avoid those.

GRAVELBIKE
05-29-2014, 01:46 PM
I'm ~195#, and have been quite pleased with the Ardennes Plus LT (http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=3179) wheelset. Currently running 28mm Panaracer tires, which measure 30.5mm on the 25mm rims. No problems with dirt roads, etc.

Tom
05-29-2014, 01:58 PM
One thing I didn't care for the whole rim is covered with HED Ardennes stickers. I took them off and just left the HED logo, looks better.

I noticed they are reflective. I ride at night. I like that. Of course, one can always put black Scotchbrite tape on but if somebody does something for me already my lazy kicks in.

jds108
05-29-2014, 02:14 PM
I'm slightly heavier than you and have had my ardennes sl for a couple of years with 100% good experiences. The cheaper hed wheel sets have hubs that are deeply flawed, avoid those.

Perhaps this hub issue is something that's been fixed. I bought two pairs of these a couple of years ago: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/hed-ardenne-gp-wheelset-20-28-hole-clincher-2011 and haven't had any trouble with them (in any respect).

eippo1
05-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Been using the Handspun version of these with Noviembre hubs, C2 rims and 24/28 Dt Swiss Comp spokes. Have these on my Dean with 25's and have been loving the ride as well as hopping on some dirt.

I also weigh 190 currently and love to bunnyhop instead of swerving and there's plenty to hop in the Boston area currently. Feel fully confident with these wheels underneath me. I also like that I can run them under 100 psi and be happy.

brando
05-29-2014, 03:14 PM
I also have the handspun dt240/hed for cx racing and they have been bulletproof.

sparky33
05-29-2014, 03:22 PM
My 2 sets of HED Ardennes SL are comfortable, fast, worry-free and improbably indestructible. I don't get how a 18/24 spoke count remains true and durable despite the abuse I dish out. Hubs still spin like new. Go figure.

Best off-the-shelf wheels ever.

mistermo
05-29-2014, 11:15 PM
I read weight limits on HED's website (https://www.hedcycling.com/ardennes/plus.asp?content=PLUSsl) as followed:
18/24 Black bladed Sapim CX-Ray spokes (under 225lbs)
20/28 Black bladed Stallion (max 250lbs)

Does anyone have real world experiences that disproves this. Everything I've read so far is that these are pretty tough wheels. I'm between 190-200lbs and I think I'm going with 18/24. I've been historically easy on wheels.

Two weekends ago, I was at the Almanzo 100 gravel race in MN and spoke with Steve HED who is a sponsor and had a booth there. I weigh 200lbs and mentioned to him my concerns with weight limits with his wheels, as I'd read on their site. He stated that the wheels have no weight limits and that they need to remove this from their site.

Like everyone here, I have seen this on their site for years. I kid you not, this conversation took place.

don compton
05-30-2014, 12:08 AM
I have been using 23mm rims for years ( Heds and A23s ). I just bought a set of Neutron Ultras from Ribble for $729 delivered and they are awesome.I have stuck with 25c tires and lower pressures. Today, riding the hills around Ione, I noticed that I was coasting at a much higher speed. Oh well, so much for the wide rim theory.

stephenmarklay
05-30-2014, 07:56 AM
I need to get a set of these.

I had an early set of 23 wheels (not HED) but the build was not great but the the century I did on them was awesome but I sent them back as they got a little tweaked.

bluto
05-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Two weekends ago, I was at the Almanzo 100 gravel race in MN and spoke with Steve HED who is a sponsor and had a booth there. I weigh 200lbs and mentioned to him my concerns with weight limits with his wheels, as I'd read on their site. He stated that the wheels have no weight limits and that they need to remove this from their site.

Like everyone here, I have seen this on their site for years. I kid you not, this conversation took place.

If this convo really occurred then that is very cool.....sorry if that comes across as skeptical.

572cv
05-30-2014, 10:51 AM
I have an early set of Ardennes... when they just said "Ardennes" and didn't have any gradations except I think there may have been the FR version out there early. They are still practically perfect in every way, a Mary Poppins sort of wheelset.
I too caught the CC sale and got the FR's this winter. A little lighter and seemingly just as solid. These Hed wheels are just terrific, esp. on pavement which is not that great.
FWIW, I'm running 25mm GP4000s on the FR's, which gives a nice ride and a lot of confidence in handling. The Continentals slip in and out of the brakes pretty easily. On the older Ardennes, I'm using some 25mm Michelin Prorace2's which have to be used. They expand wider than the Conti's and are more trouble to get through the calipers.

Tom
05-31-2014, 10:08 AM
Put the Neutron Ultras back on after going about 2000 miles on a new set of Ardennes regular weights this spring.

Neutrons aren't coming back off. They are that much better suited to a Legend.

I'll put a pair of Michelin Jets on the Ardennes, put them on the Legend and go ride the MTB trails in the park to get ready for some Vt. class IV road adventures later this summer.

professerr
05-31-2014, 12:39 PM

Tom
06-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Could be all in my head but -

- Acceleration is "crispy" in the sense that when you give the pedals a push the onset of velocity change feels like a steeper curve
- Much smoother road feel. Both wheelsets have Michelin PR4 23mm, the Neutron rear is brandy new so no time to soften up. On the Ardennes many times I would look back thinking I went flat and bottomed on the rim. Generally on the roughish roads around here the Neutrons roll smoother. I inflate to about 90 pounds rear, 85 pounds front using the same pump all the time.
- Like the other poster said, downhill the Neutrons seem to go faster. Obviously that's completely subjective because of wind on any given hill.
- The Ardennes whistle in the wind. I don't need anything else reminding me its windy.
- Speaking of wind... crosswinds. Not the Ardennes fault, they have a higher profile, but I noticed it.

OtayBW
06-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Just another data point, but I really find the Ardennes to be the much smoother rolling and better handling wheelset. I find the Neutrons to be stiffer and more harsh - same tires, etc. Just my sense of it....

mistermo
06-02-2014, 06:43 PM
If this convo really occurred then that is very cool.....sorry if that comes across as skeptical.

Skepticism is healthy. And the conversation DID take place and I DID hear him correctly.

FWIW, I have 32h Belgiums laced to WI hubs. May start looking for Ardennes.

donevwil
06-02-2014, 07:04 PM
I've got some 2011 CLs and even at my 230# they are incredibly durable. Only gripe is that under a good out-of-the-saddle effort the rear tends to wander, not a very laterally stiff wheel. I have an old, low end 28 hole Mavic Cosmos rear (straight pull) that is noticeably stiffer. I like the wheels, but keep them on my mellow bike.

DRZRM
06-02-2014, 08:50 PM
I have two pairs of Record 32 hole hubs laced to HED C2 Belgiums (thanks echelonjohn) and I love them. Have them on both CX frames and have put a solid 220 lbs. thrashing on them, never touched them with a spoke wrench.

This conversation about Neutron Ultras vs. wider HEDs is interesting. I've also just built a pair of Pacenti wide rims (SL23s, also 32 hole) to some DT Swiss 240s and they are just waiting for some Schwalbe One tubeless in 25mm. They will go up against some Neutron Ultras I got from Vav a few months back that I have yet to mount. One pair will take a regular position on my Firefly. I've been riding Enve 65s on that bike, but I'm not sure I'm really man enough for those wheels. Last time I was out on the Enves it was windy and rained a bit, and even in the best conditions they sound a bit like all the road noise is being amplified. It will be interesting to see which aluminum rimmed wheel I like better.

Tom
06-03-2014, 08:13 AM
I will say one thing about the Ardennes that I did like and that's the cornering at speed - they kill it. Total total confidence at the edge of my abilities. Not that the Neutrons are sketchy, they aren't, but the sense of railing it is definitely there with the Heds.

Jack Crank
06-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Man, just another grip of people confirming that I really need to start saving for a pair of these. They sound like the perfect wheels.

Seems like a lotta talk about the rims only though, I wonder how Ardennes would stack up against a set of the belgium +'s to record/DA/I9/etc hubs.

Any A/B comparison folks? 25mm rims seem kind of nuts to me.

zott28
06-05-2014, 01:23 PM
I have a chance to buy a set of SL or FR for pretty cheep. I can get the FR now for $$140 more, or wait for more SL to come in.
Is it worth the extra money on the FR? Hubs are the big difference, correct?
Although it's a good deal, I'm still stretching my budget on the SL.

Davist
06-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Could be all in my head but -

- The Ardennes whistle in the wind. I don't need anything else reminding me its windy.

Aha! I have H+Son Archetypes and they whistle at ~35mph, I thought it might be because I went with a 2x 24 front vs my previous radial laced rim. Is this common among "semi aero" or whatever shape rims the Ardennes/Belgiums/Archetypes are? (sorry for slight derail, just curious). Love the wider rims, and I run 28c tires on all types of surfaces, didn't by Ardennes on CC closeout due to spoke count fear at 195lb.

brando
06-06-2014, 12:45 AM
Aha! I have H+Son Archetypes and they whistle at ~35mph, I thought it might be because I went with a 2x 24 front vs my previous radial laced rim. Is this common among "semi aero" or whatever shape rims the Ardennes/Belgiums/Archetypes are? (sorry for slight derail, just curious). Love the wider rims, and I run 28c tires on all types of surfaces, didn't by Ardennes on CC closeout due to spoke count fear at 195lb.

Neither my ardennes sl's nor hed c2/dt 240 whistle, except that time one of my bladed spokes was twisted.

lemondvictoire
06-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Rode my Serotta Fierte IT with Ardennes FR wheels on Eastern Sierra Double last weekend and it was a smooth ride........... Even Ben Serotta on his blog uses the Ardennes as his benchmarking wheels to test bikes..................:)