PDA

View Full Version : I went Shimano!

christian
03-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Just picked up a sweet Sedona 2500 FD. Nice bearings! Spins for days.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ob6X2mXUL._SX425_.jpg

As near as I understand it, it's like the Campagnolo Centaur of fishing reels. :)

Anyone in Westchester/Fairfield/NYC who wants to go fishing this year, just let me know. My boat is getting dragged to the edge of the lake and I'm gonna get me a 5 pound bass. (Thank you REK!)

bluesea
03-20-2014, 03:07 PM
I prefer the coarser but more tactile feel of Penn spinners. :banana:

Black Dog
03-20-2014, 03:33 PM
I prefer the coarser but more tactile feel of Penn spinners. :banana:

And the Penn is fully rebuildable whereas if the guts of the shimano fail then you have to replace the whole unit...:banana:

roydyates
03-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Just picked up a sweet Sedona 2500 FD. Nice bearings! Spins for days.

That's a very odd FD. how does it clamp to the ST?

pitcrew
03-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Di2, right?

thwart
03-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Ah, Christian. So close...

AF Day is only 11 days away.

saf-t
03-20-2014, 09:27 PM
3 Spheros' here, 2500-4000. Using a conventional for tuna jigging, but if I was going to use a spinner it would be either another Spheros or a Saragosa.

Ti Designs
03-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Has anybody studied crank length or pedal stroke on one of those things?

charliedid
03-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Fishing for compliments

Vientomas
03-20-2014, 10:28 PM

How 'bout thumb setback?

03-21-2014, 01:11 AM

Yes, actually.

Anyway, he's really just going to mount this on his stem, plant a hook on your saddle rails, and use it to wheelsuck with minimal effort.

Ti Designs
03-21-2014, 04:06 AM
Anyway, he's really just going to mount this on his stem, plant a hook on your saddle rails, and use it to wheelsuck with minimal effort.

That is so stem mountable, why doesn't Shimano have this in their bike component catalog???

Gummee
03-21-2014, 05:59 AM
That is so stem mountable, why doesn't Shimano have this in their bike component catalog???

I know you're kidding, but for the adventure racing crowd, it could just work.

M

jpw
03-21-2014, 06:00 AM
And the Penn is fully rebuildable whereas if the guts of the shimano fail then you have to replace the whole unit...:banana:

sounds familiar :-)

FlashUNC
03-21-2014, 06:54 AM
I love everything about this thread.

bobswire
03-21-2014, 07:41 AM
Where's Old Potatoe when you need him?

Someone said he went fishing.

oldpotatoe
03-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Where's Old Potatoe when you need him?

Someone said he went fishing.

What is 'fishing'? Saying something controversial and waiting for a response?

Never done the fish maiming gig...never really wanted to kill any animal for sport..not my thing..IMHO..not trying to start some sort of argument, whether ya eat whatever or not..

fiamme red
03-21-2014, 08:20 AM
Now you just need one of these (http://www.google.com/patents/US6273391), and you're all set to ride over to the Cross River Reservoir and catch some trout.

El Chaba
03-21-2014, 08:58 AM
I know you're kidding, but for the adventure racing crowd, it could just work.

M

Heck, It should be in the catalog for the triathletes...They'll buy anything...

adampaiva
03-21-2014, 09:04 AM
@ Christian ha, i fell for the bait ( :p ) and clicked the thread. I've got a nice little Daiwa reel (probably the Tektro of fishing gear) that I can fit in my Carradice and my NY state fishing license. Got anywhere you like to recommend within a few hours ride of nyc or at least metro north that combines a nice bike ride and a nice place to fish (w/o a boat)?

I'm definitely going to look funny fishing in lycra and bike shoes but whatever!

christian
03-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Now you just need one of these (http://www.google.com/patents/US6273391), and you're all set to ride over to the Cross River Reservoir and catch some trout.

I have a pole holder on Ivy's old Milano. And a rack for the other stuff. But the boat is on New Croton. Come on up one weekend!

christian
03-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Got anywhere you like to recommend within a few hours ride of nyc or at least metro north that combines a nice bike ride and a nice place to fish (w/o a boat)?

I'm definitely going to look funny fishing in lycra and bike shoes but whatever!
Yes, loads of places - basically all the DEP reservoirs have good shore fishing. They stocked tiger muskie in Middle Branch this year, so that's where I am headed in 2017 for sure.

Easy shore fishing from the city would be the on the east side of the route 100 bridge on New Croton (SMB, LMB, white and yellow perch, pickerel), by the Route 22 bridge on Kensico (all the above plus lakers and browns), anywhere on Muscoot Reservoir in Katonah and Lake Gleneida and Middle Branch, West Branch up past Carmel.

If you want to use my boat, just PM me. It's a 12' jon boat, nothing fancy, but I'm happy to lend it out. Just make sure you have a DEP permit. You can also go to Wampus Pond in Armonk. No DEP permit there (and they RENT boats!)

Oh, and Titicus, or Cross River off 121. But Titicus has been hard to fish last couple of years - ain't nothin' biting.

bobswire
03-21-2014, 11:44 AM
What is 'fishing'? Saying something controversial and waiting for a response?

Never done the fish maiming gig...never really wanted to kill any animal for sport..not my thing..IMHO..not trying to start some sort of argument, whether ya eat whatever or not..

If I have to explain the joke if loses it's funniness.
Quote:
I went Shimano!

So I was expecting oldpotatoe to respond , Campagnolo!

Since it was about a fishing reel and you didn't respond I said ,"you went fishing"... Ha ha

Get it? No.

O.K. nevermind.

P.S. for the record I don't even kill spiders. You sure a grumpy sometimes Peter.

oldpotatoe
03-21-2014, 11:47 AM
If I have to explain the joke if loses it's funniness.
Quote:
I went Shimano!

So I was expecting oldpotatoe to respond , Campagnolo!

Since it was about a fishing reel and you didn't respond I said ,"you went fishing"... Ha ha

Get it? No.

O.K. nevermind.

P.S. for the record I don't even kill spiders. You sure a grumpy sometimes Peter.

Get out of my pond!!!

veggieburger
03-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Drive up to Lake Ontario and I'll pay for the bait. Happy fishing!!

bobswire
03-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Drive up to Lake Ontario and I'll pay for the bait. Happy fishing!!

Who, oldpotatoe? :)