PDA

View Full Version : First Road Race this weekend ???

gmcampy
03-20-2014, 01:37 PM
So this will be my first ever road race and I have some questions for yall....The route is a 45 mile loop with 3K climbing and WIND.

Spare parts/tubes etc, how do you carry them and what? Thinking 1 tube pair of levers and CO2

Food, what/how do you take and do you keep in jersey pocket? BTW I am NOT a fan of goo or power bars

Water, typically 2 bottles on this length route would be my MINIMUM, so Im assuming spare in jersey pocket too.

As you can see my jersey is getting pretty full.....what do yall suggest.

Thanks
Glenn

rnhood
03-20-2014, 01:44 PM
45 miles is not much, even with 3K of climbing. You only need a sport drink made with Skratch, Osmo or Tailwinds mix. Gels, power bars, bananas and like are not needed. Eat a banana and drink a bottle an hour before the race starts. On the road, get your calories from your bottles. And two water bottles is plenty unless you're in Florida - which is not likely with 3K of climbing. Stay near the front and draft as much as possible.

EDS
03-20-2014, 01:44 PM
So this will be my first ever road race and I have some questions for yall....The route is a 45 mile loop with 3K climbing and WIND.

Spare parts/tubes etc, how do you carry them and what? Thinking 1 tube pair of levers and CO2

Food, what/how do you take and do you keep in jersey pocket? BTW I am NOT a fan of goo or power bars

Water, typically 2 bottles on this length route would be my MINIMUM, so Im assuming spare in jersey pocket too.

Thanks
Glenn

1. Two water bottles should be plenty; I definitely would not bring more.

2. If there is neutral support I would not bring a flat repair kit at all.

3. You may not need any food for that distance, but I personally would probably have a cliff bar and a gel in my pocket just in case.

Good luck.

Nooch
03-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Thanks
Glenn

Well... a 45 mile race should take a little less than 2 hours depending on the field. Scrap the plan for the third bottle, I don't think you'll need it if you abide by the 1 bottle/hour rule. Also, I'd say 1 gu/whatever fuel you normally use per hour as well.

Find out if there's a follow car for a spare set of wheels -- going to do you a lot more than having a tube and levers on you. If no follow -- the tube/levers is only going to get you back to the start/finish -- I'd venture if you're out of the pack with a flat, your day is likely over..

gmcampy
03-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the input! I will bring my spare wheels just in case there is a chase car, I suspect there will be as all the cats are using the same route/distance.

Glenn