PDA

View Full Version : Spring!

sparky33
03-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Welcome spring.

It was chilly and raining when I let the dog out this early this morning and the kids were up a bunch last night, but the weather app promised sunshine and almost 50F by afternoon. Score. The bike is already at the office, and I keep a bag packed in the trunk.
Work is unusually slow this morning. Tick tick tick tick. 11:45 is close enough. Dress. Roll. It sounds gritty as my tires roll over the sandy pavement. It's a melt day, and wide puddles are seeping out from the snow banks. That splat splat sound reminds me why I like fenders this time of year even when its sunny.
Right turn, up the hill, over the highway. The Kirk feels particularly good today. I rode the cx bike yesterday, and that's a fine bike too, but it doesn't sing along like the Kirk does when you turn the cranks over. Anyway, turned up another brief hill, past the school, down the back-road that cuts behind the local golf club. Faster. I should have slowed more taking that right through the sandy turn with the huge pot-hole where a car is pulling out. Next is a nice descending left under large pine trees, and out to South St and then Claybrook Rd where it's flat by the Charles River. The water is still frozen in the shady spots. Make a left on Main, really straight with a up at the end, then a gradial sweeping down onto Haven St. That turn feels great in the drops, really moving. A few more turns and right on Mill. I stop by the large snow bank planning to get a photo of the snow, the rushing water and the dam. I forgot my phone, maybe next time. Up, left, right. Strawberry Hill is a straight gentle up - perfect for big ring spinning. The horses are out at the farm grazing with their blankets on. They don't notice me. Left to Wilsondale - I click down several cogs for the downward roller coaster, the kind where you power right up over short hills that follow so close after the downs. It never gets old. At the bottom, I stop at the intersection and breath. It's a easy roll back, maybe a few more miles. Crossing over the highway signals that the ride is almost finished. The ground near the backdoor of the office is gooey with mud. I do a quick cx dismount and shoulder with a hop step up the backstairs. So good to be out today.

How is your first day of spring?

Nooch
03-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Got up this morning and joined the Commuter Group for a few miles before breaking off and returning back toward my office (they commute to NYC -- I work the next town over from where they leave). Circled around and made it a few extra miles on the way in.

I haven't felt right on the bike all year -- combination of no miles and no miles. Been moving slowly -- very slowly. Today felt a little better. Was pushing a little harder, finding more of a groove.

Of course that will all be disrupted in 15 days when Daughter #2 arrives -- but she should make for a most fun spring, even if it keeps me off the bike!

Climb01742
03-20-2014, 12:59 PM
Just finished a lunch time ride. Yes, melt day for sure. 50 degrees felt like a goal too far. And wind picked up more than I'd hoped. But on days like this, you know you're seeing winter's last grip begin to loosen. And that, more than the details of the ride, made it a good ride. They say horses can smell the barn. Cyclists can feel spring.

wss
03-20-2014, 04:11 PM
They say horses can smell the barn. Cyclists can feel spring.

Well said.
Looking at my activities on Garmin connect I thought I road 4 times the miles in 2013 compared to the same time in 2014. I was wrong , I only had 2x the rides. I'm surprised. Didn't do any trainer rides, so have felt very slow.

572cv
03-20-2014, 06:38 PM
For our first day of spring, the temp got above freezing. It rained. The snow is still deep. A little sap ran in the buckets we have out, and there were snow fleas in the snow shoe depressions. Tonight, there are flurries.

But

The light is getting longer, and riding the rollers in the pit greenhouse wasn't freezing cold, and I went to supper with my sweetie to celebrate spring, and all in all, its good. Happy spring everyone.

thwart
03-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Had a day off, and was able to take advantage of the 'balmy' 40° weather. Still on the salt/snow bike. 42 miles felt somewhat longer than that today, as I pushed some NW wind on the way back… that, and not enough calories onboard for the conditions.

Bonk. :no:

But awfully good to get out and get some longer miles in.

Finally.

godfrey1112000
03-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Gate's pass again with a side trip on Twin Peaks road

Guess I will do it again tomorrow before going back to KC

Jaq
03-20-2014, 09:56 PM
No pics, but a beautiful day in LA; did 3 long climbs on a single-speed in the Hollywood hills, danced with some cars on Mulholland Drive. Good times.

p.s. Happy (Persian) New Year!