PDA

View Full Version : horrible velodrome crash

vqdriver
03-19-2014, 02:45 PM
not sure what the crew were thinking here, but i would assume you'd just clear the track if they're coming at you at speed. either way, they don't seem terribly concerned with the rider.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8814428

ultraman6970
03-19-2014, 02:56 PM
That can only happens in chile man :)

They got this top of the line velodrome and they coultnt figure it out how to take the devices (no idea how are called) things right away... darn!

How the idiot could move himself and not move the starting gate? thats beyond me...

vqdriver
03-19-2014, 03:14 PM
oops. mods, move this to general?

malbecman
03-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Ouch! The guys in orange don't look to be too helpful, either. At least he flipped and landed on his butt/thigh (as opposed to his head).

03-19-2014, 04:30 PM
This was a women's race. Before we damn Chile (and they should be), we should note that there was an identical event at ADT in Los Angeles at the last World Cup held there. The gun was fired, the back straight team didn't bother to remove the gate, and the team starting on the opposite side ran into it. I was there and thought one rider had died that morning.

There were so many things wrong with this accident:

1. The official fired a gun and just walked away without looking. He should have fired again if riders didn't react immediately.
2. The back straight team stood in front of the gate so the riders couldn't even see it was still there, and then gave a desultory flag wave and walked off without ensuring that riders had responded.
3. The team should have had a support staff on the opposite side solely to protect his riders against this kind of issue -- it happens too often.
4. The leading rider didn't notice it until far too late -- bad on her.
5. The following rider neither followed the leading rider's wheel (mid-back-straight, the lead rider wasn't going to be pulling out, only avoiding something) and didn't have any situational awareness.
6. One of the officials on the back straight should, at the very least, have body slammed the rider -- not pretty but a lot better than what happened.
7. Insufficient means for warning riders of danger.

Look at the bike and see how it got ripped in half. That's about what happened to the rider as well. I heard she broke several lesser bones, her femur, possibly her tibia and fibula, and was flailed badly with a nasty concussion.

Sadly, and cynically, I'd have to say that South American riders ride about as badly on the track as they do on the road. Unfortunately, it's true, and in World Cup track events, there's a lot of caution around Latin and South American riders. They just don't handle their bikes well. Nothing might have helped this case, but if either the lead rider or the following one had been awake, they would have avoided injury.

downtube
03-19-2014, 10:28 PM
I hate to even think this but it looked intentional.They stood in front of the gate completely blocking it from view then stepped away at the last minute leaving the starting gate on the track. Also these guys showed no reaction almost seemingly ignoring the whole thing.
Watching this makes my stomach hurt
chuck

ultraman6970
03-19-2014, 11:27 PM
I knew about that velodrome like a few weeks ago, even my mom called me because they were broadcasting the races in the TV last week. then Saw this video maybe last week and is just a shame. The girl ended with a knee cap cracked and other problems.

The velodrome was built for this championship, is like a south american championship but will all type of events, not only cycling. What surprise me is the neighborhood where they built the thing, probably the land was almost free but darn, you don't want to go there after 5pm. Way too far to go, and not even dare to leave your bike in there because sure somebody will go in at night to see what they can find and not even tell you that a big fence or dogs can deter this people either. Bad idea to built that velodrome in that area IMO. Lets see how long it last intact before graffiti and crap shows up over the walls and the track itself.

If this girl's video is shocking, check this one out, this happened in 1994, many sure remember Mark Allen, american world class triathlete, he was friend of chistian bustos, they went hand to hand several times in the hawaii ironman, somebody got the bad idea of give him a bump with a jeep... this one happened in Argentina... . Never knew what happened to the driver, knowing Argentinian justice nothing happened to him, as for Christian Bustos, he recovered but he lost sensation in a few fingers and he never regained 100% movement of his arm, he got lucky the 1st surgeon in argentina rettached the artery that was sliced right away or he could have lost the mobility in that arm forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opOR9R-3OqI

ultraman6970
03-19-2014, 11:47 PM
The girl got exposed knee cap fracture, a broken finger and who knows what else (from what I can gather from some web articles)..

This girl's dad was in the 1981 Panamerican champion in 4x100km and he wont the Gran Fondo 170kms road race the same year in colombia. His style was quite similar to Hinault's, not that tall, not that strong but just enough to do it all, descent track sprinter for per points races.

lhuerta
03-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Sadly, and cynically, I'd have to say that South American riders ride about as badly on the track as they do on the road. Unfortunately, it's true....They just don't handle their bikes well.

Really? Where do you come up with this unsubstantiated crap? Quintanta? Uran? Betancur? Yes, I too have noticed the wide berth that the pro peloton gives these guys when they are in the peloton...oye!?

Nothing might have helped this case, but if either the lead rider or the following one had been awake, they would have avoided injury.

Ah, yes,...so it was the poor skills of the South American riders who were at fault for this horrific crash...got it. Really??

Just sayin'....respectfully, our forum is much more evolved for this sort of nonsense.

Lou

jpw
03-20-2014, 10:09 AM
legal liability.

ultraman6970
03-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Well if you find what is going on in this case is that curuchet that is the UCI guy in charge of the event says it was the rider's to blame, the chileans are saying that is not, is the organization judges to blame (the UCI people). Just from the video if the guy that moved did not move and have hit the girl to the side she should have had the accident but not crashed against a "wall" (per say). Less damage, from what I read the girl will need like a year to get ok to pedal again at that level.

She might have been going around 55 km/h when she hit the thingy. They are trying to figure it out responsibilities and IMO the thing will end right there.