PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds fork issue/question

saab2000
02-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Today I installed my new/used Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork on my Eddy Merckx Majestic Ti. It seems nice, but until I ride it I can't give a complete verdict.

Problem: The brake nut which passes through the fork is not long enough to reach the brake bolt shaft. What shall I do? Is this normal? Is there a special brake nut for this application? I am using Record brakes. I tried the rear brake nut and it is the same length as the front.

What up?

Tailwinds
02-04-2006, 07:36 PM
This happened to me when I was building up my Kirk w/Record brakes... it was the last item I had to get before I could RIDE it... frustrating. I simply got the longer bolt I needed from my LBS.

dave thompson
02-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Carbon forks typically use longer brake nuts than steel forks. Most good LBS carry the longer nut and any LBS can order what you need.

chrisroph
02-04-2006, 10:53 PM
The reynolds forks when new come with a nut that is the proper length. You can probably find one at a well stocked lbs. Thise are good forks, way better than the hsc3. Did you get a 43?

BarryG
02-05-2006, 05:48 AM
If you can't find one locally, you can order the nut directly from Reynolds. When new, the fork comes with the brake nut and compression plug.

saab2000
02-05-2006, 05:49 AM
Christoph,

It seems stiffer than the Look by just twisting it with my knees holding the front wheel. I am hopeful that this fork will increase the warm and fuzzy factor about this frame, which currently is not that high.

I'll be checking the LBS later today or tomorrow. I didn't know they came with a special nut.

loctite
02-05-2006, 07:22 AM
DONT USE A SHIMANO NUT, you must use the Reynolds nut or you run the risk of breaking the fork at the brake mounting.

Tailwinds
02-05-2006, 08:49 AM
The reynolds forks when new come with a nut that is the proper length. You can probably find one at a well stocked lbs. Thise are good forks, way better than the hsc3. Did you get a 43?

I'm just curious... why do you personally prefer the Reynolds over the HSC3? Is it the stiffness? Is there something else?

I'm looking to replace a Reynolds that is on my Litespeed. It's a 40mm rake, and I need a 43mm.

Jeff N.
02-05-2006, 09:05 AM
Any decent LBS worth their stones should be able to open a drawer and toss you the required longer bolt. Jeff N.

saab2000
02-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Tailwinds,

I don't know much about carbon forks. I also can't answer for Christoph. Most of my experience in cycling has been on steel bikes with steel forks. They are my reference. When I first got my Merckx Ti up and running last spring I could not believe how dead the thing felt in the front end. The fork felt like a wet noodle. When standing while climbing it just felt like a lot of energy was being lost and that was something I had NEVER felt before on any bike. And this is with using better wheels and a stiffer stem/bar combo than I had had in the past. I started reading up on forks and found that the Look, at least as an aftermarket fork on non-Look bikes was not well liked.

When standing holding the front wheels between my knees I twist the bars much further than with the steel forks. Enough that the brake pads would touch the rims. I know that that is not a realistic torqueing of the fork, but it told me we were not dealing with something that stiff. The Reynolds does not do this. I have not yet ridden it, but I expect it to be better. If I ever get that CDA I keep talking about I will get either the stiffest F3 fork from Serotta or have a custom built by someone who makes steel forks.

I am no monster on the bike in terms of torquing them, but the Look HSC3 is a noodle and this is no fun.

chrisroph
02-05-2006, 09:18 AM
More torsional rigidity. The reynolds makes for a more planted front end. A bike with an hsc3 can develop a little oscillation, not a speed wobble, but it can take a little time to settle down after a big input like an out of the saddle jump coupled with a big bump. The reynolds has a much less busy reaction to the same input. Neither is as solid as steel. But they weigh less. That is the tradeoff.

I have an hsc3 on my merckx majestic. It has fenders on it now and it is my winter bike. The package is extremely comfortable and smooth. It handles great but it does not shine as a race bike.

I also have an hsc3 on my legend. It is a mismatch. Fixed sent me an F1 and I'm going to mount that bad boy soon. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks Fixed!!!