PDA

View Full Version : AARP Masters Racing: Sane or Not?

Uncle Jam's Army
03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
So I'm at El Dorado Park in Long Beach last night for Tuesday Night Worlds and, after I finished my bicycle race, I'm waiting for my buddy to finish his race in the Masters category. On the final lap, as they're lining up the sprint for the finish, a big, loud crash takes down about 5 or 6 riders. My buddy just narrowly avoided the crash and immediately came off the course right toward us, instead of carrying on to the finish line. A bunch of us run to the fallen riders to offer whatever assistance we can. One guy broke his fall with his face and inexplicably seemed to come out of the crash unscathed (or at least no broken bones or road rash) due to falling into a large, soft pile of mulch/dirt.

The guy who first went down taking down the others didn't fare as well. By the time I got to him, his face was covered in blood due to a gash under his eye, I'm guessing it was from his eyewear. He also had a somewhat nasty gash on his knee that I tried to keep under control with a dressing and ice. Turns out the man is 62 years old. Throughout the ordeal, the man was very calm and coherent. I found something admirable in his stoicism. Knowing me, I'd probably be freaked out and in a state of shock. The paramedics arrived and took him and another rider away by ambulance. I hope they're alright.

On my way home, I wondered aloud to my friend if the 62-year-old racer was a grandfather and, if so, what the hell were grandfathers doing racing bicycles around in skintight lycra clothing risking life and limb? Then I remembered I am just 15 years younger than the guy and could I see myself out there 15 years from now? Probably. Someone once told me all bicycle racers are crazy and especially masters racers. I'm starting to come around to that notion.

What say you?

FlashUNC
03-19-2014, 12:46 PM
I was done with road racing at 23. I won't knock other folks for doing it if they want to, but I've got no desire to do it anymore.

redir
03-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Well David Laduc who unfortunately turned out to be a doper, but still, was crushing pro/1/2 fields when he was that age. I think it's a bit old but to each their own. I'm pretty sure I won't be racing bikes at that age.

cash05458
03-19-2014, 12:48 PM
well, I think some of the problems...and I guess this isnt even age related really...is that most races here are always almost crits....around some lil industrial parking lot...I think that style of racing brings on more crashes and is boring...round and round we go! But should masters guys hurt themselves as much as young guys? Oh yeah, why not? look at it this way...we have alot less to lose via timelines...

and man, some of the toughest riders I knew back in belgium were in their 60's and 70's...these guys would go out for 100 k rides all the time just to get away from their wives after they retired...and they could go hard...

Jnnybrns
03-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Perfectly sane.

I know a handful of 60+ and 70+ riders who crush it and can mix it up by racing smart and unleashing a devilish sprint.

I find it inspiring that there are older riders out there mixing it up and shoot should the day come I ever retire i hope can spend it the way the spend theirs.

Riding full tilt when needed until it's "lights out"

tiretrax
03-19-2014, 12:51 PM
My colleagues father was national crit champ at 74. He died of a heart attack while riding home on his Cinelli a few years later.

Nothing wrong with the dude's age (you don't even know if he's at fault - did some young hotshot hit his wheel? I had a 16 y.o. wonderboy pull stupid crap on me). You come to the correct conclusion - you may be doing that in 15 years. Also, he may be able to rip your legs off.

If I ever have the chance to retire, I'll be riding every day and be in the best shape of my life. My dad did that when he sold his business (it probably added 10 years to his life, but the wrongs he did over the course of it caught up to him in his late 70's).

Uncle Jam's Army
03-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Nothing wrong with the dude's age (you don't even know if he's at fault - did some young hotshot hit his wheel? I had a 16 y.o. wonderboy pull stupid crap on me). He may be able to rip your legs off.

You're right, nothing wrong with the guy's age vis-a-vis the crash. This was in the Masters 40+ category (1-4). It did appear he caused it, though, by overlapping a wheel between two riders. The guy is very experienced and has won a few races in the 60+ category.

R2D2
03-19-2014, 12:57 PM
Master is masters.
If they want to ride let em.
My youngest bother still swims in Masters. But not so dicey...........

I gave up racing long long ago.............

Mark McM
03-19-2014, 01:00 PM
On my way home, I wondered aloud to my friend if the 62-year-old racer was a grandfather and, if so, what the hell were grandfathers doing racing bicycles around in skintight lycra clothing risking life and limb?

62 year old grandfathers have already fulfilled their evolutionary obligation to pass on their DNA to their offspring and raise them to adulthood, and their financial obligation to be production members of society.

The question should be, why are young people risking life and limb racing, when they have a lot more to lose and a still have lot more obligation to give back?

Uncle Jam's Army
03-19-2014, 01:05 PM
The question should be, why are young people risking life and limb racing, when they have a lot more to lose and a still have lot more obligation to give back?

An increasing sense of one's own mortality that only comes with age?

sandyrs
03-19-2014, 01:06 PM
62 year old grandfathers have already fulfilled their evolutionary obligation to pass on their DNA to their offspring and raise them to adulthood, and their financial obligation to be production members of society.

Loaded question of the day

Mark McM
03-19-2014, 01:16 PM
An increasing sense of one's own mortality that only comes with age?

If someone doesn't have a true sense of there own mortality, can one really give informed consent to take part in a dangerous activity?

Uncle Jam's Army
03-19-2014, 01:21 PM
If someone doesn't have a true sense of there own mortality, can one really give informed consent to take part in a dangerous activity?

Legally speaking, yes. Incapacity to contract is very hard to prove.

mgm777
03-19-2014, 01:33 PM
I've ridden with many of those Socal Masters riders. When I lived in OC, used to ride with Simple Green(aka Cycles Veloce). They were/are some of the strongest, most capable, and safest riders I had the pleasure to ride & race with. If one can ride or race a bike, regardless of age, I personally am a fan.

beeatnik
03-19-2014, 01:44 PM

Don't think an actuary would agree.

tiretrax
03-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Legally speaking, yes. Incapacity to contract is very hard to prove.

Analagous to voluntary intoxication, IMHO.

soulspinner
03-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Healing is so much harder after the crashes (race long enough someone gets you) but some of my old buddies can still FLY...........

WSBA Jr.
03-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Finally getting started with the commentary after too long just viewing the boards. I'm in the 60+ group...started bike racing at 50, with top tens in several open category Master D events. Most of the decade was supporting a junior racer who lives here, double digit State Championship event winner, top 12 nationals. I raced a bit more last summer, since he took the year off for a school sport. Love to train still to this day, was competitive in masters all summer, so decided to go to Bend. Yes, I was in the race with Mr. LeDuc, I had a dnf due to wind induced death wobble at 7000 feet. Saved it without crashing, barely, but it was great fun to meet and talk with the other competitors before the race. Ready to do it again in Utah, but we are all one crash from calling it the last time. The 15 y/o? Ask him who is faster! We've had a great family run doing this, hate the thought of it ending. Oh, and the PEDs: I don't even take aspirin or drink coffee, so I don't get it. Cheers, guys.

Hindmost
03-19-2014, 02:54 PM
I understand why the OP would pose the question: why older riders race? But I have to ask, isn't this a question that a rider of any age has to ask themselves. Why would the question and answer be different for an older rider versus a younger rider?

I am the aged end of the distribution myself and consider the why race question to be an issue of risk vs. benefit. The risk assessment for riding and racing has been predominantly driven by familiarity with one's fellow riders and confidence in each other's skill level.

Tandem Rider
03-19-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm in the 50+ group here, Been riding/racing for 40 years. At this point it is part of who I am, not something I do this year and next year it's on to the next fad. If I don't get to keep that going I don't even like myself, let alone anyone else. I keep reading how important the mind-body connection is and their need to be challenged to keep us healthy.

I don't see racing as inherently more dangerous than lots of other things, job, winter driving, group rides, alpine skiing, the list goes on. I guess my outlook on it is to go down swinging for the fence, no matter how or when it happens.

cfox
03-19-2014, 03:59 PM
I don't get the "cautious as I get older" thing. When I get (really) old I plan on drinking whenever I want, eating whatever I want, and riding my bike whenever I want. Maybe in that order. I lost my desire to race crits a while ago, but who knows, maybe when I'm 70 I'll find the desire again. If you have health insurance, go for it. I've gotten too many requests to help 20yr olds without insurance who've been injured in races. I don't mind helping, but it's irresponsible to race without health insurance. Sorry for the tangent, I'm getting old.

beeatnik
03-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Question for the older racers. Is it easier to break a hip at 20 or at 60? And how much does a broken hip cost society in health care subsidies?

I get the desire to compete at any age, but with all the research about bone density loss in competitive cyclists, at 50 plus, it only seems rational to limit one's exposure.

My mother broke her right hip at 55 as a consequence of 6 months of radiation at age 44 and a major resection which resulted in chronic lymphedema. I mention this because from personal experience I know broken hips are no joke.

cfox
03-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Question for the older racers. Is it easier to break a hip at 20 or at 60? And how much does a broken hip cost society in health care subsidies?

I get the desire to compete at any age, but with all the research about bone density loss in competitive cyclists, at 50 plus, it only seems rational to limit one's exposure.

My mother broke her right hip at 55 as a consequence of 6 months of radiation at age 44 and a major resection which resulted in chronic lymphedema. I mention this because from personal experience I know broken hips are no joke.

I think the question is how many 60 yr olds have insurance vs. 20 yr olds? At least (most) 60 yr olds have paid into the system for a number of years. And, I'd bet most 60 yr olds who race aren't on fifty different medications for various health problems like most fat, out of shape 60 yr olds.

Ralph
03-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Break a hip or femur, at an age when it doesn't heal well, and it probably will shorten your life considerably. You'll die of something else, UTI, diabetes, who knows what? But it can bring on the end.

unterhausen
03-19-2014, 06:12 PM
most 20 year old racers don't have to worry about insurance, it's the 27 year olds you gotta worry about now. I used to think about racing, but since I live in the middle of nowhere, I don't want to travel that much. I think most cyclists still heal pretty well, it's the people that never exercise that have problems.

Zoodles
03-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Why does racing imply "instant death" or some other type of hysteria?

The worst crashes I hear about are in rec rides (or solo descents) where people are relaxed and generally unprepared in terms of avoiding and accident or evading the ensuing carnage.

Racing you tend to be on edge and ready for it, hopefully riding with other accomplished riders.

As far as the broken hip etc...if you are racing at 60 you probably take good care of yourself - a critical factor in a quick recovery

Cheers all!

shovelhd
03-19-2014, 07:55 PM

I pay my premiums. My racing age is 57 and I can still top 20 in pro fields. I'll stop when it's time.

bcm119
03-19-2014, 10:01 PM
.....And how much does a broken hip cost society in health care subsidies?....

The simple answer is probably less than the average non-exercising person costs society in healthcare subsidies. If you're racing at age 60+ I would place you in the "not part of the problem" group.

You have a point that given the risks of broken hips at the age it is rational on some level to not race bikes. But it's only rational if you take that activity out of context. If racing bikes provides other physical and mental benefits to you (and indirectly, those around you), you have to factor those benefits against the risks. Obviously a very personal equation, but for many it makes sense and is completely rational. And for those reasons I don't question others' decisions to do it or judge them for it (not implying you were).

This kind of discussion reminds me of the outrage you read on the interwebs every time someone is killed in an accident doing some sort of leisure activity that carries some risk, like cycling, rock climbing, surfing, etc. It's always some version of "they were being irresponsible by taking such risks". These claims are always made completely out of context and without any information of the factors that lead to the accident. Always pisses me off.

aramis
03-19-2014, 11:46 PM

I broke my hip pretty easily at 34 in a pretty mild crash fwiw. I don't think it cost society much in health care subsidies. Did cost me about $10k after it was all said and done (screw you blue cross).

Most bicycle racers at 60 I would think are using private insurance, not medicare and I'm sure are paying a lot out of pocket too.

beeatnik
03-20-2014, 02:45 AM
I pay my premiums. My racing age is 57 and I can still top 20 in pro fields. I'll stop when it's time.

Even Thurlow Rogers doesn't top 20 in pro/1/2 out here. You're an outlier.

It's interesting how casually some older racers dismiss risk. If there were a Senior NFL or Senior NBA, would we hear guys claim that their bodies would hold up as a 25-year-old's? And I know crit racing isn't a high impact sport, but the levels of concentration required for high level racing can be impaired by age. That's the reason you dont see 55-year-olds (or 45 year olds for that matter) racing Formula 1.

http://road.cc/content/news/14890-formula-one-driver-fernando-alonso-eyeing-tour-de-france-success

Tandem Rider
03-20-2014, 04:36 AM
An occasional top 20 in P12 is a result of lots of hard work, not being a mutant. I know better than to take on Elk Grove or Joe Martin at the top level anymore but smaller races, if you're fit, yeah.

Tandem Rider
03-20-2014, 04:54 AM
I think the question is how many 60 yr olds have insurance vs. 20 yr olds? At least (most) 60 yr olds have paid into the system for a number of years. And, I'd bet most 60 yr olds who race aren't on fifty different medications for various health problems like most fat, out of shape 60 yr olds.

Mrs. TR went to her checkup a few months ago, during the "interview" with the nurse before she saw her Doctor, the nurse was amazed that she was on nothing except vitamins. The nurse then revealed that Mrs. TR was the only over 50 patient at the clinic who was not on medication(s). Don't question master's decision to race based on health care costs to society.

Pharmaceutical reps might complain a bit though.

carpediemracing
03-20-2014, 04:55 AM
I'm the same age, sort of, as the OP (62-15 = 47, which is my racing age). I've been racing since I was 15. I never took a season off although I've had very poor seasons. I never got better than a Cat 3 - the one year I upgraded to Cat 2, in 2010, I did it because we were planning on starting a family and it might be the last time I could upgrade based on regular Cat 3 races (versus age graded stuff).

I've been asking myself what I'll be doing when I'm 60 or whatever. I'm not a grandfather - my son just turned 2 years old - and when I'm 62 he'll be in high school. My mom died at about that age. My dad started showing signs of deterioration by then.

I've helped frail old people, men and women, with stuff, sometimes literally just walking down a few steps. Put someone like that in a car accident and I can't imagine their bodies being strong enough to resist impact and getting yanked around violently by seat belts, air bags, and crash momentum. On a bike, no way.

I still fight for position in a crit, at least in a tactically strong way. This means no contact, no pushing, no need for any of that because I'm in a tactically strong position. The ones that push etc are in a tactically weak position, hence the need for force.

Is there contact? Of course. Is it necessarily dangerous? Well, potentially, of course, but usually not, especially since I don't push it when I'm in a tactically weak position. In a race two weeks ago a guy moved over about 2-3 feet pretty hard without looking. His hip hit my hand. Since I was climbing out of the saddle I had a lot of weight on that hand. I commented to the Missus that I didn't even get an adrenaline reaction. It was just a ho-hum thing, no biggie. In a less experienced field that contact could have resulted in a crash.

When I was younger I was much more amped about the whole thing. I didn't push etc but I definitely slotted into narrow spots. I crashed multiple times in training trying to determine my max speed around a particular turn. In training!

There's a thing I read regularly about people's brains not developing fully until 25 and that people under that age lack a sense of mortality. It might be me but I think my brain must have developed slower because I've only recently started feeling significantly conservative in the way I drive, ride, just carry through life. Maybe it's that I have a son now, it's not even me, but my life is much more mellow/calm now than it was before he was born.

shovelhd
03-20-2014, 05:53 AM
An occasional top 20 in P12 is a result of lots of hard work, not being a mutant. I know better than to take on Elk Grove or Joe Martin at the top level anymore but smaller races, if you're fit, yeah.

Thanks. You get it.

Back on topic. This thread has two tracks. The healthcare and cost to society track doesn't interest me. Age has nothing to do with the risks. A 20 year old and a 60 year old bungee jumping off a bridge to get a clean Youtube video take the same risks and would suffer the same fate. The age factor is a red herring. As to why older racers race, it's because we are racers. Age doesn't matter. We have the same motivations as younger racers, minus pro aspirations. One thing we have that they might not is experience, and the willingness and the desire to help others by giving back. Most competitive sports are like this.

verticaldoug
03-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Racing seems like risky behavior. You should stay at the senior center, take viagra and catch STDs like a responsible old person.

:fight:

El Chaba
03-20-2014, 06:29 AM
Chacun a son gout.......I find it a little pathetic when a 45+ year old judges his self esteem by his result in the previous weekend's industrial park criterium.....

bobswire
03-20-2014, 06:38 AM
Mrs. TR went to her checkup a few months ago, during the "interview" with the nurse before she saw her Doctor, the nurse was amazed that she was on nothing except vitamins. The nurse then revealed that Mrs. TR was the only over 50 patient at the clinic who was not on medication(s). Don't question master's decision to race based on health care costs to society.

Pharmaceutical reps might complain a bit though.

I get that every time I go in for a check up at the Veterans Clinic, at 69 they wonder why I'm not taking any meds. Simple, I eat healthy,work out and ride a bike religiously.

biker72
03-20-2014, 07:46 AM
I get that every time I go in for a check up at the Veterans Clinic, at 69 they wonder why I'm not taking any meds. Simple, I eat healthy,work out and ride a bike religiously.

I do all of that but still take meds. I didn't pick the right parents....:)

If you're 70+ in good shape and want to race....why not?
My concern would be injuries but I know some people that age that do race and enjoy doing it. Never been interested in racing myself.

oldpotatoe
03-20-2014, 08:30 AM

I'm 62, I eat healthy, work out and ride a bike religiously.....and religiously talks 20mg Lipitor and Nexium.

Just had a mega blood panel/ liver function test and passed with flying colors in spite of not studying at all..

Genetics is as a big a part as lifestyle, IMHO.

BOTW, this is NOT a condemnation of military or MDs in the VA. But after getting both my hands gooned up, post injury, by Army then Navy 'hand specialists, no VA or AirForce/Army docs, thanks(no USN docs around here).

biker72
03-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Racing seems like risky behavior. You should stay at the senior center, take viagra and catch STDs like a responsible old person.

:fight:

I was at the senior center earlier this morning. Nothing but old people.....:p

Shortsocks
03-20-2014, 09:37 AM
I was done with road racing at 23. I won't knock other folks for doing it if they want to, but I've got no desire to do it anymore.

Lol. I hear you.

JStonebarger
03-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Chacun a son gout.......I find it a little pathetic when a 45+ year old judges his self esteem by his result in the previous weekend's industrial park criterium.....

Huh?

I'm 50. I enjoy racing. My partner and I both race, and we have friends that race. Is that a problem for you?

What do you "judge your self esteem" by? Money? Some little sports car? Your job?

El Chaba
03-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Huh?

I'm 50. I enjoy racing. My partner and I both race, and we have friends that race. Is that a problem for you?

What do you "judge your self esteem" by? Money? Some little sports car? Your job?

Get a grip...and then seek counselling....

Tandem Rider
03-20-2014, 11:37 AM

I see a lot of this in the under 35yo group, not much in the 50+. Do you race masters?

El Chaba
03-20-2014, 11:56 AM
I see a lot of this in the under 35yo group, not much in the 50+. Do you race masters?

I agree, it is there. I raced until I was 40, but always raced senior and never masters so stopped as my time was coming up. I don't begrudge anybody the competition;I do feel bad for the guys who missed out racing in their youth.

HenryA
03-20-2014, 02:56 PM
I remember when we had Masters Nats here. Its been a good while (95 or 96?) but I well remember the old guys circulating the course. I hoped to be like them "one day". Now its "one day" and I'm an old guy. Could not race now without at least a year's hard work. But I can imagine it. It'd be tough to hang with the 50s guys and I bet there is no field larger than 3 riders of 60+s anywhere near here. Maybe California or Texas. Don't know.

I really can't think of many good reasons why most older folks who wanted to race should not be doing so. More than likely the kids are grown and they have insurance and some expendable income. Go have fun.

We're all gonna die of something.

JStonebarger
03-20-2014, 03:46 PM
I agree, it is there. I raced until I was 40, but always raced senior and never masters so stopped as my time was coming up. I don't begrudge anybody the competition;I do feel bad for the guys who missed out racing in their youth.

Maybe if you tried racing masters you'd find more reasons to enjoy racing.

BryanE
03-21-2014, 03:13 AM
Thanks.
I better quit doing this silly crap before I injure myself.

cleavel
03-21-2014, 06:59 AM
So I'm at El Dorado Park in Long Beach last night for Tuesday Night Worlds and, after I finished my bicycle race, I'm waiting for my buddy to finish his race in the Masters category. On the final lap, as they're lining up the sprint for the finish, a big, loud crash takes down about 5 or 6 riders. My buddy just narrowly avoided the crash and immediately came off the course right toward us, instead of carrying on to the finish line. A bunch of us run to the fallen riders to offer whatever assistance we can. One guy broke his fall with his face and inexplicably seemed to come out of the crash unscathed (or at least no broken bones or road rash) due to falling into a large, soft pile of mulch/dirt.

The guy who first went down taking down the others didn't fare as well. By the time I got to him, his face was covered in blood due to a gash under his eye, I'm guessing it was from his eyewear. He also had a somewhat nasty gash on his knee that I tried to keep under control with a dressing and ice. Turns out the man is 62 years old. Throughout the ordeal, the man was very calm and coherent. I found something admirable in his stoicism. Knowing me, I'd probably be freaked out and in a state of shock. The paramedics arrived and took him and another rider away by ambulance. I hope they're alright.

On my way home, I wondered aloud to my friend if the 62-year-old racer was a grandfather and, if so, what the hell were grandfathers doing racing bicycles around in skintight lycra clothing risking life and limb? Then I remembered I am just 15 years younger than the guy and could I see myself out there 15 years from now? Probably. Someone once told me all bicycle racers are crazy and especially masters racers. I'm starting to come around to that notion.

What say you?

Hmm... I was in that race. I was at the back of the pack after deciding to bail on the sprint. The guy who slid on his face is a good friend of mine. Not sure how you decided that he caused it because I couldn't see how it started from my vantage point. Also, for clarity, no one took advantage of an ambulance ride. My friend's wife drove him to the emergency room. My other friend who broke his collarbone had someone take him to the emergency room, and the guy (who I know from Eldo) who might have had a mild concussion got a ride home. From what I've seen on Facebook, everyone is basically okay. I need to make some phone calls though.

This was the first big crash that we've had in the Masters race at Eldo in at least two years. (Yes, there's been some solo or two rider crashes that, fortunately, didn't amount to more than some lost skin.) There have been more crashes in the Pro/1/2/3 and Cat 4/5 races in recent years. Haven't heard people asking why young people race. ;)

Oh, and my friend isn't a grandfather. He has young children though.

To answer your question, I started racing when I was 16 (racing age 17) and now I'm 56 (racing age 57). When I was 16, I thought it was amazing that the guys who were Veterans (40+) were still racing. I was amazed from the perspective that they still had the physical abilities to race. I am kind of amazed that I still race (60-70 races per year) but I don't plan to stop at any point in my life. Other factors may cause me to stop but I have my eye on the the Hour Record for 100 year-old men. :) I'm using that as motivation to make it to a healthy 100.

I'm a lifelong Cat 3 and every once in a long while I get a decent finish in Masters 55+ races. However, I like the personal challenge of racing and racing motivates me to maintain a high (for me) level of fitness. The personal challenge is competing in the races, training for the races, and managing and balancing my life (family, profession, and leisure) around racing.

I understand the risk and I manage my position in the pack based on my perceived risk. After so many years of racing, my perception is generally reliable, if not conservative. For instance, on Tuesday, there was a relatively low chance of me having a good result even if I pushed my way to the front, so I ended up sliding to the back after turn 3 on the last lap. I'm glad I did.

Other guys my age have a different sense of how much risk they'll accept. That's their decision. Also, some people have a sense of immortality or don't understand the risk or... I don't think that is a function of age. I see it in racers of all ages.

BTW, which race did you do?

Even Thurlow Rogers doesn't top 20 in pro/1/2 out here. You're an outlier.

It's interesting how casually some older racers dismiss risk. If there were a Senior NFL or Senior NBA, would we hear guys claim that their bodies would hold up as a 25-year-old's? And I know crit racing isn't a high impact sport, but the levels of concentration required for high level racing can be impaired by age. That's the reason you dont see 55-year-olds (or 45 year olds for that matter) racing Formula 1.

http://road.cc/content/news/14890-formula-one-driver-fernando-alonso-eyeing-tour-de-france-success

Thurlow has managed to injure himself while training each of the last two years. One of his last completely healthy years as a 50+ racer, Thurlow was in the top 10 at the Manhattan Beach Grand Prix which is an NRC race. He initiated the winning break and true to competitive history, he didn't do much in the sprint. I still thought it was pretty cool.

Cycling is a relatively risky sport. It depends on how you manage the risk. Also, I "race" down to 45+ and the pack dynamics require more concentration and the speeds are higher than 50+ which is more so than 55+. That said, you still have to focus in a 55+ race, you just don't need the same level of focus as in races with younger competitors.

You do see 45 and 55 year-olds in professional motorsports, not F1, but there are a number in sports car racing. There are also plenty in amateur motorsports and I definitely wouldn't compare Master 55+ races to UCI professional races (F1).

Have you ever watched a race with just 65+ racers? It's a completely different race dynamic that aligns with our abilities at that age. At the same time Roberto Paganini is 73 or 74 this year and he raced with me in the 55+/60+ race this past Sunday. He does his thing near the back of the pack and I never here anyone complain about his pack or bike handling skills.

I missed the post that either stated that directly or implied it. Also your comment doesn't seem to align with your use of the French phrase.

Uncle Jam's Army
03-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Cleave, Mitch (whom you know) saw the whole thing as it happened right in front of him. Mitch is who I was waiting to finish. Mitch talked to a few other riders in your group after one of the fireman took over from me with Howard. The other riders confirmed what happened.

I was in the Cat 4/5 race.

cleavel
03-21-2014, 12:05 PM
OK. Interesting. I didn't talk with anyone about how the crash happened or who caused it. My teammate said all he saw was people starting to fall from the left side of the road. He guessed that someone lost it on the tree root pavement bumps on the left side of the road.

Yes, I've known Mitch since he first started racing in the early 1980s. We were in the same crazy club at the time. I'm glad to see him back on the road.

christian
03-21-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't see anything inherently more ridiculous about a 62 year-old racing bicycles than a 38 year-old racing bicycles. So, with that, I'm going to go ahead and shut up.

54ny77
03-21-2014, 06:51 PM
UJA: while you were mixing it up, I was shoveling snow. Winter here SUCKS!!!!!!!

Would rather be mixing it up! Have fun out there.

Cleave, Mitch (whom you know) saw the whole thing as it happened right in front of him. Mitch is who I was waiting to finish. Mitch talked to a few other riders in your group after one of the fireman took over from me with Howard. The other riders confirmed what happened.

I was in the Cat 4/5 race.

Uncle Jam's Army
03-21-2014, 07:56 PM
UJA: while you were mixing it up, I was shoveling snow. Winter here SUCKS!!!!!!!

Would rather be mixing it up! Have fun out there.

Jim,

We miss you out here, man! Let me know when you're back in town.