PDA

View Full Version : Will Mavic ever design a new (standalone) rim?

Look585
03-18-2014, 07:37 PM
What are the odds Mavic will ever design a successor to the Open Pro and join the 21st century of rim design/production?

21-23mm wide
Double eyelets
450-475g
Exalith braking surface
Drillings 24,28,32

Someday I'll kill my Classics SSCs and will want to relace the hubs...

christian
03-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Zero percent, alas. Even though we'd all buy 'em.

sw3759
03-18-2014, 07:54 PM
do they even make a pre built wheel with at least a 21mm wide clincher rim yet?:confused:

EDS
03-18-2014, 07:59 PM
do they even make a pre built wheel with at least a 21mm wide clincher rim yet?:confused:

The cosmic cxr.

ergott
03-18-2014, 08:10 PM
If you like classic, box rims the DT RR rims blow away the Open Pros in every way. Good riddance.

They are a prebuilt wheel business now and it's working quite nicely for them. They have no reason to change.

Lewis Moon
03-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Zero percent, alas. Even though we'd all buy themm.

That's what Mr Pacenti is doing. Forget the mega parts company dinosaurs, look to the furry little guys.

PJN
03-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Exiath coating on a box section would be radical.

Mavic rep said no way ever on vsalon somepoint last year.

So don't hold your breath!

PS- ···· 23mm wide. Not sold on it.

bikinchris
03-18-2014, 08:18 PM
If you like classic, box rims the DT RR rims blow away the Open Pros in every way. Good riddance.

They are a prebuilt wheel business now and it's working quite nicely for them. They have no reason to change.

And they build up nicer than Mavic did. At one point in the past, I liked building Mavic rims, but not long after the Open 4 was discontinued, their rims went straight to hell. Brittle and they just didn't seem to build up easily, even though I was a better wheel builder by that time.

I thought building up a GEL 280 or 330 rim was fun.

bikinchris
03-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Exiath coating on a box section would be radical.

Mavic rep said no way ever on vsalon somepoint last year.

So don't hold your breath!

PS- ···· 23mm wide. Not sold on it.

I just don't like mounting up road tires on 23mm rims. Don't get me wrong, I have ridden bikes with wider rims. I just mount much wider tires on them and they mount better. I would hate to be a less experienced rider trying to fix a flat on a cold wet road and try to dismount a super tight tire on a 23mm rim.

thirdgenbird
03-18-2014, 10:08 PM

Yep

soulspinner
03-19-2014, 04:40 AM

Have DT wheels now. How do the DT 440s compare to Pacenti sl? One of these is my leaning for the next wheelset.

oldpotatoe
03-19-2014, 05:27 AM

What he said, times 2. DT, Pacenti, H+Son, Velocity are the 'ones' to look to for rims these days..mavic is in the wheelsouttaboxes biz...

Not sure why mavic makes rims at all..

ergott
03-19-2014, 06:22 AM
Have DT wheels now. How do the DT 440s compare to Pacenti sl? One of these is my leaning for the next wheelset.

Different rims. SL23 is wider and has a somewhat aero shape. I think of them more with lower spoke count, racy wheels (not that you can't do everything else with them). The 440 and 465 rims are for a more classic box-section built. Depends on what you're in the mood for. Both are excellent choices.

ergott
03-19-2014, 06:23 AM
I just don't like mounting up road tires on 23mm rims.

I think that's more of an issue with tubeless ready rims, not the fact that they are wider rims.

Coluber42
03-19-2014, 09:34 AM
I just thought I'd mention that there's something to be said for the same rim being available, year after year. I've got open pro's on my brevet bike and every few years I replace the rims because the braking surfaces have worn, but the hubs and spokes are still perfectly fine. Call me a creature of habit, but it's nice to be able to just get another of the same rim, switch everything over and rebuild, and be good to go.

Maybe there's a better choice, or a rim that wouldn't wear as fast, but that is the only problem I've ever had with them. They build up fine, they stay true, and my tires go on and off without needing a tire lever. No complaints, and I do appreciate the continuity.

Not to say I couldn't be convinced to switch, but it's handy not to have to.

bshell
03-19-2014, 10:04 AM
about continuity(aesthetics included). Tape the new rim to the wheel, swap spokes over hole by hole, tension, etc.

I used to do that w/ Open pros until I tried Open pros w/the ceramic brake track. They've been on my CX bike for nearly 5 years now. Does that ceramic stuff ever wear off???? It's fantastic.

Oh, what's that you say? Discontinued? Perfect.

Thanks bike industry!

Surprised to hear the opinions about DT. Years ago I bought a set of Chris King prebuilts w/ DT Swiss (RR something ?) rims because they were less expensive than buying the hubs alone and I was completely unimpressed with the rims.

Maybe they have made improvements?

oldpotatoe
03-19-2014, 10:13 AM
about continuity(aesthetics included). Tape the new rim to the wheel, swap spokes over hole by hole, tension, etc.

I used to do that w/ Open pros until I tried Open pros w/the ceramic brake track. They've been on my CX bike for nearly 5 years now. Does that ceramic stuff ever wear off???? It's fantastic.

Oh, what's that you say? Discontinued? Perfect.

Thanks bike industry!

Surprised to hear the opinions about DT. Years ago I bought a set of Chris King prebuilts w/ DT Swiss (RR something ?) rims because they were less expensive than buying the hubs alone and I was completely unimpressed with the rims.

Maybe they have made improvements?

Years? What didn't you like? Were they 1.1? Double, single eyelet? All their rims for a while were RR then number. Like RR 1.1, 1.2...

After building a 'few' wheels, DT are the roundest, flattest , rims I have ever built. Mavic rims work, but their noisy eyelets , wedge at seam, something they have known about for DECADES, but refuse to fix.

Look585
03-19-2014, 10:52 AM
An "OpenPro+" with the same ERD as the old version is what I really want. A couple MMs wider so they don't require much brake adjustment when swapping with carbon race wheels. Coated brake track would be cool too. There are legions of wheels in service that would benefit from this availability when they inevitably get "potholed".

I know there are options like this, but I just wonder why Mavic bothers to refresh the dies for OpenPro extrusions to continue current production, yet not improve the design a bit? Can't be a huge investment seeing that a few "startups" have done just that.

Anarchist
03-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Open Pros are acceptable as a basic rim but I would prefer, any day of the week, the Ambrosio Excellight or DT Swiss RT series. both of them are much better rims than the open pros.

doomridesout
03-19-2014, 11:30 AM
+1 on DT Swiss if we're talking traditional boxy style rims. I'm not a massively experienced wheelbuilder like some here but it really seems like you don't have to fight DT rims much to bring them true when building them. I have a set of RR465s that are going on four years without so much as a touch up needed, and I'm pretty pleased with the RR440s I built recently.

Hindmost
03-19-2014, 11:30 AM
...there's something to be said for the same rim being available, year after year...

To walk into a bike shop on another continent and able to find an exact replacement.

cash05458
03-19-2014, 11:39 AM
I don't know...I will bow to the experts like Pete about quality....for certain...but in my own case, all four of my bikes have open pro's and to use a incredibly overused cliche, they are bombproof and have always served me really well...just great riding wheels I think tho maybe I am missing something better out there from lack of knowledge or experience...I used to love the M4's as well and rode those for about 15 years...I did try some DT's once, didn't like them...also tried some older fulcrums and they were so so...I have a set of cxp44's and don't like them that said...oh yeah, and a pair of bontrager racer light xxx something I think they are called which are about as horrible as you can get in my limited experience that came on a used bike I picked up...

aaronf
03-19-2014, 04:50 PM
After building a 'few' wheels, DT are the roundest, flattest , rims I have ever built. Mavic rims work, but their noisy eyelets , wedge at seam, something they have known about for DECADES, but refuse to fix.

This is the truth. Same experience. Not that an Open Pro can't be built into nice wheels, but much nicer to begin with higher quality parts from the start.

bobswire
03-19-2014, 06:07 PM
I don't know...I will bow to the experts like Pete about quality....for certain...but in my own case, all four of my bikes have open pro's and to use a incredibly overused cliche, they are bombproof and have always served me really well...just great riding wheels I think tho maybe I am missing something better out there from lack of knowledge or experience...I used to love the M4's as well and rode those for about 15 years...I did try some DT's once, didn't like them...also tried some older fulcrums and they were so so...I have a set of cxp44's and don't like them that said...oh yeah, and a pair of bontrager racer light xxx something I think they are called which are about as horrible as you can get in my limited experience that came on a used bike I picked up...

Same here, I have 3 sets of open pros, 2 with DA 7700 and one with Ultegra 6600 hubs, 1 set of of CXP33/ultegra that have gone through all kinds of abuse. all 4 of those sets I like better than the H. Plus Son TB14 I purchased last year,
Len of the old the bike nook builds up some sweet wheels and he still prefers open pros as the go to all around wheels for most folks looking for a decent wheel set at fair price.

oldpotatoe
03-20-2014, 05:34 AM
Same here, I have 3 sets of open pros, 2 with DA 7700 and one with Ultegra 6600 hubs, 1 set of of CXP33/ultegra that have gone through all kinds of abuse. all 4 of those sets I like better than the H. Plus Son TB14 I purchased last year,
Len of the old the bike nook builds up some sweet wheels and he still prefers open pros as the go to all around wheels for most folks looking for a decent wheel set at fair price.

Not a huge fan of H+Son but gotta ask what you didn't like about the TB-14..I thought they built ok..

bobswire
03-20-2014, 06:19 AM
Not a huge fan of H+Son but gotta ask what you didn't like about the TB-14..I thought they built ok..

Peter I'm talking about how they ride not how well they built up, these were pre built wheels with 5700 hubs I got from Velomine. I read so many good reports about the TB-14 I had to give them a try. They look great and other than soften the ride a bit, at least to me they feel kinda klunky or dead,especially while climbing (though I'm using the same tires as I use on the mavic pros).
I think they might be better for my all rounder using 32mm or wider tires? For 25cc and narrower I prefer the Pro's or CXP33 but then again I prefer using Simplex downtube and Suntour bar cons too. It is all subjective.

http://i57.tinypic.com/i1h11g.jpg

bshell
03-20-2014, 09:50 AM
That's a strange one for Mavic not to fix.

When the wedge came loose and rattled I learned from a mechanic to remove the tire/rim strip and shake it back to its original position at the seam. Then set it in place with a tiny dimple from a center punch on the inside of the rim. (First support/hang the area of the wheel receiving the strike on a chunk of 2X4 in a vise to protect.)

Also, after rereading my earlier post about my experience (limited) w/DT rims I think "completely unimpressed" sounds ridiculous and I'm sorry. They were rims, they rolled along. Pretty much like my other 32hole 3cross spoked wheels.

I think I'm just sore about the discontinuation of Mavic's ceramic surfaces...

oldpotatoe
03-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Peter I'm talking about how they ride not how well they built up, these were pre built wheels with 5700 hubs I got from Velomine. I read so many good reports about the TB-14 I had to give them a try. They look great and other than soften the ride a bit, at least to me they feel kinda klunky or dead,especially while climbing (though I'm using the same tires as I use on the mavic pros).
I think they might be better for my all rounder using 32mm or wider tires? For 25cc and narrower I prefer the Pro's or CXP33 but then again I prefer using Simplex downtube and Suntour bar cons too. It is all subjective.

http://i57.tinypic.com/i1h11g.jpg

10-4, like a lot of wheels I build, I don't ride them so....they did seem a little soft, Sun-esque to build, not surprised they ride a little soft.

Plus the profile of the CXP-33 particularly makes for a stiffer rude.