PDA

View Full Version : Riding from Seaport Village in San Diego-suggestions?

Steve in SLO
03-17-2014, 11:31 PM
I am going to be in San Diego via the train and will be staying at Seaport Village for five days starting this weekend and was wondering if there are nearby 'classic' rides I should be considering?
Time will be somewhat limited, so most rides should be under two hours, with the longest being 3+ hours.
I would prefer some good climbs, especially longer tempo climbs, but anything would be great. I have done forum searches, but most suggestions seem to be rides around La Jolla or east.
Anybody got any great ideas? Anything would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

fourflys
03-18-2014, 12:25 AM
you can go around the south end of the bay over to Coronado and take the Ferry back across... fun to knock around in Coronado... I can't think of the street names right now but there is a bike path to pick up just south of the Navy base...

I believe this is basically the route...
http://www.sandag.org/uploads/projectid/projectid_63_9571.pdf
http://www.bikethebay.net/routemap.html

another option is to go out toward the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista or just explore around the Golden Hill/Hillcrest/North Park/Balboa Park area...

wasfast
03-18-2014, 02:52 AM
Perhaps one of the Gran Fondo routes? http://sdgranfondo.com/routes.html

ptourkin
03-18-2014, 07:21 AM
There are a lot of routes heading south from there that will work for under 3 hours. No need to take the ferry back from Coronado - you can go down and up the strand to Glorietta Bay and be back in 2 hours. Otay Lake and the Olympic Training Center area are also doable. I live just up the hill from downtown and do many training rides of that duration. If you don't want to head south, you can go through the parking lot along the Harbor, cut through the airport and do some climbing at Cabrillo National Monument and along Pt. Loma/Ocean Beach and get some great views.

Feel free to message me and I'll link you to examples on my Strava.

bcroslin
03-18-2014, 08:03 AM
I'd suggest Cabrillo but be prepared to do some climbing. I've heard from more than one person that they didn't know the climb would be so steep but it's totally worth it especially if you can lock your bike up and go play in the tidal pools.

Also, Nytro has a Saturday morning group ride that's worth checking out if you're into that sort of thing.

http://socalcycling.com/Group%20Rides/weekly/swamis.htm

Saint Vitus
03-18-2014, 08:36 AM
These folks seem like a good bunch:

http://www.sandiegowheelmen.com/

Ride out to Cabrillo National Monument on Point Loma (bring cash if you want to get into the park).

The Bayshore Bikeway (Bike the Bay link) is a nice 25+ mile ride, mostly flat though. Climbing is really to the east or northeast...

Lanternrouge
03-18-2014, 09:45 AM
I'd suggest Cabrillo but be prepared to do some climbing. I've heard from more than one person that they didn't know the climb would be so steep but it's totally worth it especially if you can lock your bike up and go play in the tidal pools.

Also, Nytro has a Saturday morning group ride that's worth checking out if you're into that sort of thing.

http://socalcycling.com/Group%20Rides/weekly/swamis.htm

The Swami's Ride now leaves from Ride Cyclery in Encinitas rather than Nytro. Encinitas, however, is about 25-30 miles from Seaport Village. If I were down there, I would probably try riding Coronado since it will be less urban than downtown San Diego.

Ken Robb
03-18-2014, 09:52 AM
These folks seem like a good bunch:

http://www.sandiegowheelmen.com/

Ride out to Cabrillo National Monument on Point Loma (bring cash if you want to get into the park).

The Bayshore Bikeway (Bike the Bay link) is a nice 25+ mile ride, mostly flat though. Climbing is really to the east or northeast...

This is a good ride with fabulous views of the entire San Diego area and Tijuana from Catalina Blvd. If you have a National Parks Pass entry to Cabrillo Monument is free. If you want a serious climb you can coast down to the tide pools on the ocean side and the climb back is steep. Serious local riders do repeats there. I stop to rest three times on the way up. :)

dave thompson
03-18-2014, 10:08 AM
...and he stops to rest 4 times on the way down!

Saint Vitus
03-18-2014, 10:18 AM
...and he stops to rest 4 times on the way down!

Ba Dum Tssss! He's here all night!

ptourkin
03-18-2014, 10:19 AM
C'mon guys. Tidepools is less than a mile and less than 400 feet of elevation. It's half a Torrey. He comes from climby country. It's no big deal. Basically, a big ring pull, ideal for repeats. http://www.strava.com/segments/99181

If you do want a group ride, look up Moment Cycle Sport. They're nearby in Liberty Station and ride around Cabrillo.

Ken Robb
03-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Ba Dum Tssss! He's here all night!

But it will seem a lot longer.

Ken Robb
03-18-2014, 11:01 AM
It seems steeper than the outside Torrey route to me. Inside Torrey is as steep as I can manage though. I'd probably stop on that for a rest too but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to start again.:)

Saint Vitus
03-18-2014, 11:24 AM
C'mon guys. Tidepools is less than a mile and less than 400 feet of elevation. It's half a Torrey. He comes from climby country. It's no big deal. Basically, a big ring pull, ideal for repeats. http://www.strava.com/segments/99181

I haven't ridden out to Cabrillo in a long time, I think I need to before my pass expires next month and hit the tide pool road. It can't be any worse than the inside road at Torrey (or the service road at work...).

Ken Robb
03-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Just to be clear: you can ride almost to the very end of Catalina Blvd (through The National Cemetery),enjoy some great views east and west, and ride down to the tide pools without a pass. There are even better views and some interesting exhibits in the Monument and I think it's worth the $$ for a first-time visitor.

You can go west down Hill St. off Catalina Blvd. into Ocean Beach to experience our Santa Cruz meets Haight-Ashbury back in the day. Follow the beach north to the bike path along the south side of The San Diego River and ride east to Pacific Coast Highway then south to Sea Port Village.

OTOH the climb UP Hill St. is another tough climb for me. OK, I confess: I HATE climbing but I love swooping down so they are prices I'm willing to pay sometimes.

Steve in SLO
03-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I am there for a conference and will be looking forward to some great riding. I've one afternoon off and will probably ride out to Alpine or Otay Lake. The other times are during our 2h lunch breaks and after the afternoon sessions.
To those who have contacted me privately, I thank you and will get backto you soon.

ptourkin
03-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Just to be clear: you can ride almost to the very end of Catalina Blvd (through The National Cemetery),enjoy some great views east and west, and ride down to the tide pools without a pass. There are even better views and some interesting exhibits in the Monument and I think it's worth the $$ for a first-time visitor.

You can go west down Hill St. off Catalina Blvd. into Ocean Beach to experience our Santa Cruz meets Haight-Ashbury back in the day. Follow the beach north to the bike path along the south side of The San Diego River and ride east to Pacific Coast Highway then south to Sea Port Village.

OTOH the climb UP Hill St. is another tough climb for me. OK, I confess: I HATE climbing but I love swooping down so they are prices I'm willing to pay sometimes.

Hill St. is a steep climb. It's fun to climb it and all the hills parallel to it.

Please do not ride down Pacific Highway from the OB bike path. It's a death trap at Barnett. Much safer is to go down Voltaire and find your way to Harbor through the airport (Multi Use Path) straight back to Seaport Village.

maximus
03-18-2014, 05:05 PM
C'mon guys. Tidepools is less than a mile and less than 400 feet of elevation. It's half a Torrey. He comes from climby country.

I agree, pretty easy climb depending on the route you take. Just enough to really get your heart moving and the payoff is super sweet with the view from Cabrillo. Pretty simple route from where are at and bonus points for riding down the other side of the hill and exploring the tidepools.

Also, just riding around Balboa Park can be pretty fun if you can only spare an hour or so. The layout of the park is pretty straight forward on a map and relatively bike friendly. There are some good opportunities to climb and descend (Zoo Pl.) and you can stop by the Velodrome in Morley Field for kicks.

Safe riding, enjoy your stay!

bcroslin
03-18-2014, 06:08 PM
The Swami's Ride now leaves from Ride Cyclery in Encinitas rather than Nytro. Encinitas, however, is about 25-30 miles from Seaport Village. If I were down there, I would probably try riding Coronado since it will be less urban than downtown San Diego.

Good to know. I'm so envious, I've been to San Diego twice in the last few years with serious plans to ride and never got to. Literally had a Cervello rented from Nytro and my plans changed and no ride for me.

Ken Robb
03-18-2014, 07:29 PM
depending on train schedules a person near Seaport Village might be able to take his bike on the train to Solana Beach and pedal the short distance to Encinitas for the Swami's ride. I would do one of the other rides suggested above since there he has really just one full day for a ride.

Gummee
03-18-2014, 07:36 PM
If you have time, try and catch some Tues Night Racing at the velodrome.

Then there's the Thurs night Fiesta Island ride if you want to hammer.

I haven't been in a decade, but when I was there last, there was a Wednesday morning ride from around the stadium.

Sandy Eggo is NOT flat. It was a shock exactly how steep some of those #%$ hills getting to the tops of the mesas were. :nod Especially Texas St. (I was new in town and didn't know there was a better way to get to the track)

M

ptourkin
03-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Tuesday Night Racing will commence on April 1 this year, if you're interested.

This is yesterday and shows the route to some good stuff from Seaport Village. My first time climbing after a crash and hospital stay, so it's slow.

If you turn right on H Street after the Mt. Miguel climb, and bomb back down Otay Lakes, you can come back to your hotel in less than two hours and still do one nice climb and ride on a nice dedicated path. This is my favorite route out to Otay Lakes and/or Honey Springs.

http://www.strava.com/activities/123029662

Ken Robb
03-23-2014, 03:16 PM
I see that the red line on Strava seems to cut through buildings and across a lake which would be a tough route for me to follow. Is there a turn-by-turn route sheet available?

ptourkin
03-23-2014, 04:52 PM
If you zoom, it shows the roads. Switch to Standard Map if that's easier. There's only a few turns. Strava doesn't do cue sheets.

Ken Robb
03-23-2014, 05:52 PM
If you zoom, it shows the roads. Switch to Standard Map if that's easier. There's only a few turns. Strava doesn't do cue sheets.

I did zoom and I know Otay Lakes Rd. goes around the lake but northwest of there the line goes through buildings in what looks like an industrial park and I can't tell which roads/driveways you ride through to get to the other side of that.

ptourkin
03-24-2014, 07:09 AM
I did zoom and I know Otay Lakes Rd. goes around the lake but northwest of there the line goes through buildings in what looks like an industrial park and I can't tell which roads/driveways you ride through to get to the other side of that.

After you climb Mt. Miguel Road, keep going straight - it turns into something called Mackenzie Creek Road through a subdivision. When it ends, turn right on Lane which deadends on Otay Lakes. Turn left there and head out to the fun. Last food and water before Honey Springs is the Pio Pico trailer park store. Most people turn left where Honey hits Lyons Valley (site of the infamous "better to hit cyclists" sign) and hit the Lyons Valley Trading post before coming back to descend Skyline Truck Trail through Mexican Canyon. Top speeds on Skyline and Jamul Drive are around 50.

Ken Robb
04-01-2014, 06:06 PM
so Steve: where did you ride? What did you do?

Steve in SLO
04-01-2014, 06:48 PM
I'm glad you asked, Ken.
On the first ride, I had about an hour and a quarter to burn, so I rode through downtown up to Balboa Park, which was a mistake since there were many foreign state license plates trying to navigate one-way streets downtown--think spring break and minivans. I was able to make it to Balboa Park without getting wacked, so I rode several laps around the zoo and Medical Ctr hills, and called it a day.
Two days later, I was able to go up Mount Palomar with a couple of friends. We started from Harrah's, and made it to the summit store in just under two hours. Much of that time was spent waiting/circling back down to the slowest rider, who was game but out of climbing shape. Two of us then went on to the observatory, but arrived at 5 PM-long after the gate had closed. Kind of a bummer since I was looking forward to seeing the observatory up close. Great climb and fun decent. Next year our meeting is going to be in the same place, and I plan to do Palomar again.
Thanks, everybody for suggestions, which will be ridden next year.

Steve in SLO
04-01-2014, 06:48 PM

Ken Robb
04-01-2014, 07:46 PM
That South Grade of Palomar Mtn. is beautiful but I can only enjoy it on my Ducati. :)

The East Grade is more my speed and a real hoot going back down.

We are glad you had fun.:banana:

Steve in SLO
04-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Hmmm, sounds like I might need to rearrange plans to include bringing down my FZ1 or R1 next year...