PDA

View Full Version : Dura ace hllowtech???

ericspin
02-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Does anybody have any experience with the new Dura Ace cranksets in an all terrain application? I need to replace the BB on my IF PlanetX and I am wondering about switching the crank also to something like the DA. Any other ideas for BB / crank in a setting that is probably 50% road and 50% off road?

Eric

Dude
02-04-2006, 03:13 PM
The new hollowtech design actually came from the XTR group in a mtb application, the bearings are the same so I don't think it will really be an issue. All the big names in cross have been using the D/A cranks all season, granted they are really graceful and not very hard on their stuff, but still, it worked well through all conditions.

WHat you could do is rock the XTR cranks with just the two outer ring positions covered, and leave the inner ring position empty.

Bruce K
02-04-2006, 03:35 PM
The FSA's with the Mega-Exo BB are petty nice.

BK

gdw
02-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Dura Ace will work well and if the outboard bearings are like XTR they can be overhauled without too much trouble if they start running rough. I'd avoid ISIS compatible cranksets for offroad use especially if you ride in the rain. The design hasn't worked well on mountain bikes and most honest shops will tell you to avoid it.

Fixed
02-04-2006, 05:21 PM
bro i.m.h.o. eric's bike is the best cross bike i have ever seen close up cheers :beer: