PDA

View Full Version : Bad start for Horner

mcteague
03-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Injured Horner quits Tirreno-Adriatico before stage 6

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/03/news/injured-horner-quits-tirreno-adriatico-before-stage-6_320409

Tim

FlashUNC
03-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Not all that surprising.

AgilisMerlin
03-17-2014, 11:16 AM
http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com//2014/03/14/2/bettiniphoto_0168256_1_full_670.jpg

http://www.esciclismo.com/actualidad/imagenes/christopher_horner_tirreno_adriatico_et4_2014_siro tti.jpg

http://static0.demorgen.be/static/photo/2014/5/16/7/20140317100841/media_xl_6578812.jpg

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com//2014/03/16/2/bettiniphoto_0168739_1_full_220.jpg

http://portal.bikeworld.pl/multimedia/foto/medium/Horner_b9988.jpg'

http://portal.bikeworld.pl/multimedia/foto/medium/Horner_b9988.jpg

pinoymamba
03-17-2014, 11:23 AM
he's definitely not at race weight.

El Chaba
03-17-2014, 11:32 AM

I'll say.....

denapista
03-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Hilarious..

This guy cries that he deserves a huge contract after his Vuelta win, and then gets injured and looks out of shape. Identical to the huge contract baseball players get. They produce over a season get a huge contract and then go to crap. Albert Puljos anyone.

Where's Horner's professionalism? I know these guys use these early season races to find form and stuff, but come on man..

FlashUNC
03-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Hilarious..

This guy cries that he deserves a huge contract after his Vuelta win, and then gets injured and looks out of shape. Identical to the huge contract baseball players get. They produce over a season get a huge contract and then go to crap. Albert Puljos anyone.

Where's Horner's professionalism? I know these guys use these early season races to find form and stuff, but come on man..

I wouldn't be as worried by the relative lack of form. He's there for the grand tours which are still a ways off. What's more troubling is its not exactly a state secret he has trouble staying injury-free. Why Lampre figured he could avoid it this year when he even missed the bulk of last year with an injury is beyond me.

But all this is moot if he performs in the Giro.

firerescuefin
03-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Hilarious..

ignorant

redir
03-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Why kick a guy when he's down? Geesh give him a break.

Too bad for Horner I hope he recovers well. Good on the young American Ben King getting a 3rd spot after that evil wall of a climb.

sandyrs
03-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Hilarious..

right, Horner's 20+ years of quiet persistence in the face of injuries and lack of attention for his climbing ability obviously count for nothing when judging his "professionalism." he's clearly conned Lampre for the fat contract.

:no:

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-17-2014, 12:25 PM
But all this is moot if he performs in the Giro.

This.

wallymann
03-17-2014, 12:33 PM
i dont get where the irrational outrage comes from.

the smart (old) man feels even a twinge in a preparatory race packs it in rather than force the issue. an injury is generally accidental, not like he planned it. and overuse injury like tendonitis comes from training alot, not from inadequate training. i dont believe anyone is saying he's "out of shape" either.

redneck knows his body and is a professionals-professional; he'll get it sorted and do some great GT riding and MORE THAN EARN his contract value.

Hilarious..

PQJ
03-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Nice kit (Horner's, not the fat guy's).

ptourkin
03-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Seriously. He was out here in San Diego training alone until one week ago and then he flew straight to Italy and hung in a major one week stage race until the end. He was in the front group on the big climbs. Relax. People really will say anything on the internet.

ultraman6970
03-17-2014, 01:13 PM
1st thing, in the tirreno the only two that were missing were purito and valverde, pretty much a 90% full TDF group of contenders are in the race.

The old man was 11th place, that's a lot more than probably many were expecting from him and probably even his own team (who knows). At least the problem is not in the knee that could be worse IMO. And if you compare that 11th place with what nibali or what the schlecks did in paris-nice, the old man was rocking big time and with tougher riders. The best climbers and some of the best GC were in the tirreno too.

Wish the old man a quick recuperation, hope to see him top 5 at the giro.

FlashUNC
03-17-2014, 01:22 PM
1st thing, in the tirreno the only two that were missing were purito and valverde, pretty much a 90% full TDF group of contenders are in the race.

The old man was 11th place, that's a lot more than probably many were expecting from him and probably even his own team (who knows). At least the problem is not in the knee that could be worse IMO. And if you compare that 11th place with what nibali or what the schlecks did in paris-nice, the old man was rocking big time and with tougher riders. The best climbers and some of the best GC were in the tirreno too.

Wish the old man a quick recuperation, hope to see him top 5 at the giro.

The knee problem was last year.

We'll see if he can stay healthy in the run up to the Grand Tours.

Joachim
03-17-2014, 01:28 PM
High-end pack fill....

BumbleBeeDave
03-17-2014, 01:49 PM
High-end pack fill....

He could be standing on the corner with Farrar and Ben Serotta handing out $100 bills and people would still find a reason to complain!

:p

BBD

tv_vt
03-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Tough crowd here.

He was lying 11th (tied for 10th) at T-A. Not bad for building form. T-A was not a target for him this year, I'm sure. I think it was a prudent call from his team to take him out. Shows they're thinking long-term with him (or at least Giro-term...). Those were two tough days of climbing. So no worries. What was going to be gained over the last two days, one a sprint and one a flat TT?

I'm sure he doesn't waste his time reading threads like this, anyway.

What is gained exactly, by being so critical of someone? I don't get it.

Hawker
03-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Hard crowd for sure. Really? Some of you think he looks that out of shape?

soulspinner
03-17-2014, 03:13 PM

Nope, not even close.

William
03-17-2014, 06:09 PM
If he sticks to the meticulous, tried and true plan, he'll be in the hunt later in the season.;)

William

Chris
03-17-2014, 06:36 PM
There goes my pick for Milan - San Remo

AgilisMerlin
03-17-2014, 06:39 PM
typical look for cold weather

morning, full meals

gracious sponsor, always smiling

tiretrax
03-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Tough crowd here.

He was lying 11th (tied for 10th) at T-A. Not bad for building form. T-A was not a target for him this year, I'm sure. I think it was a prudent call from his team to take him out. Shows they're thinking long-term with him (or at least Giro-term...). Those were two tough days of climbing. So no worries. What was going to be gained over the last two days, one a sprint and one a flat TT?

I'm sure he doesn't waste his time reading threads like this, anyway.

What is gained exactly, by being so critical of someone? I don't get it.

I was going to write something, but you stated it well.

Why risk the reast of the season for this race?

Black Dog
03-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Yea he reminds me of that other overpaid and overhyped hack that pulled up lame with an "injury". One good season, one GT win and now sitting on his arse...Chris Froome....:rolleyes:

Seriously some people will ignore all reality and fact to hate who they hate.

BumbleBeeDave
03-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Yea he reminds me of that other overpaid and overhyped hack that pulled up lame with an "injury". One good season, one GT win and now sitting on his arse...Chris Froome....:rolleyes:

Seriously some people will ignore all reality and fact to hate who they hate.

. . . this covers it nicely.

BBD

93legendti
03-17-2014, 07:58 PM
:rolleyes:Do they race the Tour of Spain in March?:rolleyes:

bcroslin
03-17-2014, 08:00 PM
he's obviously too old, too fat and just a POS. All he could muster was 11th place before he quit!

says a chorus of old, fat, POS's on the internet.

weisan
03-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Horner gets a pass from me any day just coz he eats realfood.
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/teams/predictor/cioni-tdf07-hornerburger.jpg

redir
03-17-2014, 08:50 PM
he's obviously too old, too fat and just a POS. All he could muster was 11th place before he quit!

Yeah he should just take up Masters racing :D

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-18-2014, 04:16 AM
he'll get it sorted and do some great GT riding and MORE THAN EARN his contract value.

As he's done, many times in the past.

wallymann
03-18-2014, 06:32 AM
yet he's still so scary-skinny!

Horner gets a pass from me any day just coz he eats realfood.
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/teams/predictor/cioni-tdf07-hornerburger.jpg

cfox
03-18-2014, 06:52 AM

The OP never wrote Horner's season was finished or a disaster...he just wrote he's not off to a great start. And, yeah, pulling out of an early season race because you are hurt isn't a great start. Not really going out on a limb there.

regarding the bold bit above; this sentiment has been popping up around here a lot lately, that somehow pro athletes should be immune from criticism from us because we cannot do what they do. It's absurd. They are entertainers whose job includes expectations in line with their talent. Pro sports as a whole owes its existence to average joes on the sidelines who love to watch, analyze, criticize, talk/chat-room about, and read about their favorite sport. It's part of the deal with being a pro; with all the fawning comes criticism when expectations aren't met.

bobswire
03-18-2014, 07:28 AM
The OP never wrote Horner's season was finished or a disaster...he just wrote he's not off to a great start. And, yeah, pulling out of an early season race because you are hurt isn't a great start. Not really going out on a limb there.

regarding the bold bit above; this sentiment has been popping up around here a lot lately, that somehow pro athletes should be immune from criticism from us because we cannot do what they do. It's absurd. They are entertainers whose job includes expectations in line with their talent. Pro sports as a whole owes its existence to average joes on the sidelines who love to watch, analyze, criticize, talk/chat-room about, and read about their favorite sport. It's part of the deal with being a pro; with all the fawning comes criticism when expectations aren't met.

Yeah, I paid a lot money for my seat at the 50 yard line and I expect results for the millions we pay these guys. Opps, never mind, wrong sport.

http://i60.tinypic.com/xmnbio.jpg http://i61.tinypic.com/a27rkg.jpg

There is pro sports such a football (both ours and worlds),baseball and basketball where the athletes make millions that we pay to see in one way or another and feel it's your right to complain and critique when they don't live up to expectations. Then there is cycling where beyond the top 10 or so racers the vast majority of the athletes are paid a bare pittance and most do it for their love of the sport while us "average joes" pay little to no money to their existence and livelihood. I'm not saying you can't criticize, I'm just pointing out that all pro sports are not on equal footing. Complaining, bitching and whining is part and parcel of being a sports fan (for some).

sandyrs
03-18-2014, 07:36 AM

Of course, but the problem with this thread is that the stronger criticisms of Horner are reactions to unreasonable, poorly thought out expectations.

FlashUNC
03-18-2014, 07:47 AM

If he craps the bed at the Giro -- and I think he will -- then yeah, open the flood gates. Bit early in the season for the pitchforks and torches though.

MattTuck
03-18-2014, 08:10 AM
If he craps the bed at the Giro -- and I think he will -- then yeah, open the flood gates. Bit early in the season for the pitchforks and torches though.

Let's consider for a moment, two laws of nature. 1) Reversion to the mean. and 2) Diminishing physical capabilities over 40 years of age.

If you take Horner's performance in the Vuelta and extrapolate that forward as some sort of 'new normal', I think you'll be disappointed in his results this year. It was an outlier performance, and I'd expect him to perform closer to his average performance in years past (maybe worse considering his age) -- if he finishes in the top 15 I would consider that a huge success.

mcteague
03-18-2014, 08:34 AM
I started this thread with a touch of sadness. I REALLY want Chris to do well but was not surprised at the injury. He seems to have more and more problems with this in the last few years. And, with increasing age, recovery takes much longer. Here's hoping he gets better soon and is able to prove his worth.

Tim

BumbleBeeDave
03-18-2014, 08:46 AM

. . . what it is in the lives of the people who mercilessly criticize athletes like Horner so much that makes them seem to get so much enjoyment out of doing so. Too often it seems to go over the line from intelligent criticism into plain old passive aggressiveness.

BBD

ultraman6970
03-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Don't think you have to be sad for him, why? Look at the big picture and the old dude is doing great... the tirreno brought a lot of good riders and the guy left in 11th place. That's quite good after all...

I started this thread with a touch of sadness. I REALLY want Chris to do well but was not surprised at the injury. He seems to have more and more problems with this in the last few years. And, with increasing age, recovery takes much longer. Here's hoping he gets better soon and is able to prove his worth.

Tim

redir
03-18-2014, 09:03 AM
. . . what it is in the lives of the people who mercilessly criticize athletes like Horner so much that makes them seem to get so much enjoyment out of doing so. Too often it seems to go over the line from intelligent criticism into plain old passive aggressiveness.

BBD

I agree. I remember my dad on a few occasions when I was a kid going Ape over some player on some team on some TV channel. I think it's the go team mentality. If I watch a hockey game I don't care who wins. I just like to see the action, the athletes perform to there best level. I think some people feel let down when their guy under performs. I don't get it either really. Some people take it a bit too seriously, or passionately maybe.

cfox
03-18-2014, 09:32 AM

BBD

Well, like anything, there are degrees. Just the other day we had someone on this board snap and call a someone else an "effing retard" for posting a "spoiler" about someone throwing a bike. There are always lunatics ready to take things too far. But there is nothing wrong with good old fashioned sports banter. It's ok to express disappointment or frustration when your guy/team performs poorly. The lows make the highs that much higher. If no one cared when their guy did poorly, then no one would care when things went well, and the sport would cease to exist.

Lewis Moon
03-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Go Chris!

...sez the old slow guy.

93legendti
03-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Seriously. He was out here in San Diego training alone until one week ago and then he flew straight to Italy and hung in a major one week stage race until the end. He was in the front group on the big climbs. Relax. People really will say anything on the internet.

+1.

I don't understand the headline for a grand tour winner who seems to do best in hot weather; was was training at home ~ a week before the race; and pulled out of an early season race that wasn't a target.

It's not even a "bad start" deserving of a thread if Horner was targeting sping races and was defending a grand tour that was starting in less than a month. At his age, at this point in the season and his fitness, he did well.

Being in the front group on the climbs this early in the season, with people targeting the Giro sure seems like good news.

But hey, some people like bad news.

He pulled out of a race. Bfd.

StephenCL
03-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Hilarious..

He was in 11th place? I'm sorry, but your not in 11th place in this race after this stage and "not" on form.

josephr
03-18-2014, 11:17 AM
He was in 11th place? I'm sorry, but your not in 11th place in this race after this stage and "not" on form.

Exactly....doubt anyone here would call Shaq or Charles Barkley "fat" and try them one-on-one.

mcteague
03-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Don't think you have to be sad for him, why? Look at the big picture and the old dude is doing great... the tirreno brought a lot of good riders and the guy left in 11th place. That's quite good after all...

Well, I really like the guy and feel bad that he gets so little respect. I understand the taint of being on a LA team and the fact that he has little chance of remaining a pro for much longer. Still, I want him to do well and stay healthy. It would be great if he had another big win in his legs. The season is just starting so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Tim

AgilisMerlin
03-18-2014, 04:33 PM
He has a tremendous amount of luck (timing)'

Hawker
03-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Well, I really like the guy and feel bad that he gets so little respect. I understand the taint of being on a LA team and the fact that he has little chance of remaining a pro for much longer. Still, I want him to do well and stay healthy. It would be great if he had another big win in his legs. The season is just starting so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Tim

+1 Bro.

tiretrax
03-18-2014, 07:23 PM

Tim

I think the taint, if any, should come from his early days in Europe; wasn't he on Cofidis when it pulled out of the TdF? They've been caught numerous times for "better cycling through science" programs. I bet he has a good year with very respectful results and some victories in smaller races. Too many people gunning for the Giro and too much cold weather for a SoCal based dude.

AgilisMerlin
03-19-2014, 08:07 AM
http://matmitchellcycling.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/horner1.jpg

http://www.cyclingfans.com/chris_horner_paris_tours_2004.jpg

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/wgfp6nfyNmC3u5ZKKiHHiQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTY0MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/es_ES/Sports/Eurosport/1091510-17347549-640-480.jpg

http://www.chrishornerracing.com/picture/fdj%202.jpg?pictureId=4143794&asGalleryImage=true

http://images14.fotki.com/v777/photos/1/108147/4383885/menpod1-vi.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/ChrisHorner_PredictorLotto_2007.jpg/220px-ChrisHorner_PredictorLotto_2007.jpg

http://www.bikingbis.com/_photos/chris_horner1_KL.sized.jpg

http://tourdefrancelife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/chris_horner.jpg

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2010/07/HORNER-1.jpg

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com//2014/02/11/2/bettiniphoto_0163737_1_full_670.jpg

ISN (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwcBaG-S7UA)

ultraman6970
03-19-2014, 08:46 AM
If you think about it, horner never been a bad rider the problem is that he never got the support needed, as many must know some riders die as domestiques eventhought they have the legs to shine just because there is somebody with more character (per say) than them in the team. Big George for example, took him zillions of years to get a stage win in the tour and in that win pretty much LA and his team allowed him to win or he would have retired w/o a single win in the tour. If you want to put it in another way, they have to pay their dues but sometimes is just ridiculous.

ptourkin
03-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Let's not forget that Lampre also signed the current World Champion this year. Horner is not the only GC option.
By all accounts, he's a super nice and humble guy. A friend encountered him up on the Great Western Loop a couple weeks ago, just before he left for Italy and talked with him mostly about things other than cycling up at the Lyons Valley Trading Post and led him down the twisties after before getting utterly destroyed when things headed back up.

Hawker
03-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Let's not forget that Lampre also signed the current World Champion this year. Horner is not the only GC option.
By all accounts, he's a super nice and humble guy. A friend encountered him up on the Great Western Loop a couple weeks ago, just before he left for Italy and talked with him mostly about things other than cycling up at the Lyons Valley Trading Post and led him down the twisties after before getting utterly destroyed when things headed back up.

I've met him too. I can't think of anyone who has met him who didn't find him friendly and accommodating. Of course, I'm nice "most" of the time as well. :)