PDA

View Full Version : We lost a canine forumite tonight

Steve in SLO
03-16-2014, 10:01 PM
My dog, Penny, a nine-year-old Lab/Vizla mix, had for the last two years battled complications of an insulinoma, a metastatic insulin secreting tumor which drives blood sugar to low levels causing seizures and lethargy. She had been getting progressively worse and was miserable, so today, my wife and I decided we needed to euthanize her. We have a sad home tonight but lots of happy memories of the dog our kids grew up with.
She was an amazing athlete, and was the star of several forum threads like this one:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=85681

She was an integral part of our family, and enriched us in so many ways. I felt it was worthy of mentioning her passing to the forum, since a number of you have gotten to know her through pictures and stories of her.
Here's to you, Penny :beer:
Give your poochies a hug for us tonight.

metalheart
03-16-2014, 10:27 PM
I am so sorry for your loss of Penny. She sounds as if she added an immeasurable amount of joy to the life of your family. May she rest in peace and thanks to you for taking care of her when she needed it most. Your acknowledgement of her loss is a testament to her life and what she means to you and family.

fourflys
03-16-2014, 10:28 PM
so sorry Steve...

ultraman6970
03-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Sorry a lot man, I have 2 and dunno what will happen when that day arrives...

thirdgenbird
03-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Sorry for your loss :(

I got about three sentences into your post and felt the urge to give Bentley (our greyhound) a hug.

plattyjo
03-16-2014, 10:58 PM
Definitely giving our dogs a big hug tonight. Rest in peace, Penny, and sending you hugs as well.

Dale Alan
03-17-2014, 12:12 AM
From one fellow dog lover to another,I am sorry for your loss .

wooly
03-17-2014, 12:47 AM
I'm sorry Steve. Lost my Dane about 8 years ago but it feels like yesterday. We rescued a dog about a year later. He's sleeping on the floor next to me as I type. He's 9 and I dread what will eventually come. Buttery bring so much joy don't they? All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptStash
03-17-2014, 01:05 AM
So sorry to hear Steve. OPur dogs are members of our family too, and losing them never hurts any less. She'll always live on in the hearts of you and your family.

CaptStash...

learningtoride
03-17-2014, 02:49 AM

Ken Robb
03-17-2014, 03:05 AM
We had 16 and 17 year-old Bichons . We had to put one down last Easter. Almost by accident we found Eric, 13 pounds of white fluff and fun at the pound in June. He got along fine with his ancient brother. Then in Sept. we had to put the second old guy down. Through our tears on the way home from the vet we agreed we were very glad we were not going home to a quiet, empty home. Sure enough, there was Eric all a-wag at the top of the stairs to ease our pain.
I think losing a beloved dog can be as hard as a losing a close friend or relative. It's wonderful that you have so many great memories and photos of your fun together.
Penny would want you to get another dog ASAP and a wagging tail and a head in your lap is very therapeutic for melancholy. :)

phcollard
03-17-2014, 05:08 AM
Sory to hear that Steve. It must have been a tough decision. Sure she is better now in the paradise of dogs...

mnoble485
03-17-2014, 05:16 AM
Damn I hate to see threads like this. I have had dogs in my life forever and it never gets easier. They are a comfort to me.

Mike

fuzzalow
03-17-2014, 05:24 AM
All dogs go to heaven. And you did the correct, merciful act as every pet owner must confront at some point of their lives spent together. Sorry for your loss.

Black Dog
03-17-2014, 05:40 AM
So sorry. You did what was right. We lost our Lab a few years ago to ingestion of rat poison and is was hard on us all and the kids especially. Dogs make us all better and more loving people.

Ssalmon
03-17-2014, 06:18 AM
I am sorry to hear about your loss, it looks like your dog had a very happy life.

OtayBW
03-17-2014, 06:33 AM
Very sorry for your loss. I've had to make that kind of decision twice. Some of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

oldpotatoe
03-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Pets are so innocent in all ways..so sorry for the loss of your friend and family member.

henrypretz
03-17-2014, 06:47 AM
If only we humans exhibited the unconditional love and trust that our dogs do.
Peace to Penny and to your family, Steve.

gasman
03-17-2014, 06:53 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. It is never easy. We still miss one special dog from years ago. He lives on in our hearts sand dreams. Penny will live on in your heart.

R2D2
03-17-2014, 06:54 AM
Sorry to hear this.

thwart
03-17-2014, 07:06 AM
Sorry to hear about it, Steve. Penny had a great life with a loving family… and lived in such a wonderful place to be a dog.

William
03-17-2014, 07:13 AM
So sorry Steve. The end of the road is tough, but it's the fun and love through the journey that we remember.

William

StephenCL
03-17-2014, 07:22 AM
Steve,

Sorry for your loss bud.....

Stephen

Rebel_Biker
03-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Toughest thing I ever had to contemplate. My 12 y/o Golden, who also loved rides and skiing, was having a tough year. She spared us in the final days and went quietly after her last walk around the block.

I am sorry for your loss.

It hurts so much. I know people who say they will never own a dog again, due to the agony of making the call. After a while you stop focusing on your pain and remember the joy your pet gave you and you gave them. Then you realize, it is worth it.

Steve in SLO
03-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Thank you for the kind words, all. It is amazing the impact that these companions have on our lives.

Climb01742
03-17-2014, 09:22 AM
She was a beautiful girl. Dogs like her never really leave your heart. Peace.

Brian Cdn
03-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Brian.

Quoting Will Rogers says it best.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”

Tony
03-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Look not where I was
For I am not there
My spirit is free
I am everywhere

In the air that you breathe
In the sounds that you hear
Don't cry for me Dad
My spirit is near

I'll watch for you
From the other side
I'll be the one running
New friends by my side

Smile at my memory
Remember in your heart
This isn't the end
It's a brand new start

By: Carol Kufner

Sorry for your loss.

joep2517
03-17-2014, 09:45 AM
Steve, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's amazing how they become part of our lives and are members of our family. Remember the good times you had with Penny. She will always be with you.

MattTuck
03-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Steve,

Remember the good times my friend. And remember that she was lucky to have you as an owner.

Lanternrouge
03-17-2014, 09:52 AM
This poem is a tear-jerker, the Legend of Rainbow Bridge, about Pets who have passed: http://www.legendofrainbowbridge.com/poem.html

Fixed
03-17-2014, 05:17 PM
My dog, Penny, a nine-year-old Lab/Vizla mix, had for the last two years battled complications of an insulinoma, a metastatic insulin secreting tumor which drives blood sugar to low levels causing seizures and lethargy. She had been getting progressively worse and was miserable, so today, my wife and I decided we needed to euthanize her. We have a sad home tonight but lots of happy memories of the dog our kids grew up with.
She was an amazing athlete, and was the star of several forum threads like this one:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=85681

She was an integral part of our family, and enriched us in so many ways. I felt it was worthy of mentioning her passing to the forum, since a number of you have gotten to know her through pictures and stories of her.
Here's to you, Penny :beer:

my heart goes out to you
whenever i see a dog running along a cyclist i think of you and penny .
and that is a beautiful thought
thank you for sharing her with us
cheers to you and penny

Louis
03-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Too bad Penny's gone, but you gave her a great home and took care of her, and that's the best thing we can offer our dog or cat buddies.

chuckroast
03-17-2014, 05:51 PM
I'm so sorry to see this. Our condolences

Pete Mckeon
03-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Remember her and YOUR good times. Quality of living and fun for a family member is a joy of life.

sorry she is gone. Pete

enr1co
03-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Doggies are precious and we are so lucky to have their spirit be part of us forever. Sincere condolences.

Steve in SLO
03-17-2014, 10:30 PM
Thank you to everyone for your good words.
Penny would have been happy to of known each and every one of you.

EDS
03-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Sorry for your loss. My twin sister recently had to put her dog of 13 years to sleep. Such a hard thing to do.

redir
03-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Aw sorry to hear about your little buddy. She's a fine looking dog and I'm sure a wonderful friend.

So sorry. You did what was right. We lost our Lab a few years ago to ingestion of rat poison and is was hard on us all and the kids especially. Dogs make us all better and more loving people.

I hate that stuff, it's pure evil. People are very irresponsible with it's use too. Sorry to hear of your loss.

aaronf
03-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Grief is the price we pay for love.

Scooper
03-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Steve, I'm very sorry for your loss. I've had golden retrievers all of my adult life and every time one passes I'm a blubbering idiot for about a month and swear I'll never go through it again. A couple of years go by and I yearn for the affection and companionship again, so I get another puppy. They're all different and all wonderful. My current guy, Jason, just turned four and is an absolute joy.

Lord Byron wrote this tribute to "Boatswain", his beloved Newfoundland, in 1808. It is inscribed on Boatswain's stone monument. I get choked up every time I read it (I'm a sentimental fool).

When some proud son of man returns to earth,
Unknown to glory, but upheld by birth,
The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe
And storied urns record who rest below:
When all is done, upon the tomb is seen,
Not what he was, but what he should have been:
But the poor dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his master’s own,
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonour’d falls, unnoticed all his worth—
Denied in heaven the soul he held on earth:
While Man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive Heaven.
Oh Man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power,
Who knows thee well must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy smiles hypocrisy, thy words deceit!
By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye! who perchance behold this simple urn,
Pass on—it honours none you wish to mourn:
To mark a Friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one,—and here he lies.

johnny_flapjack
03-19-2014, 05:29 AM
I feel for you. We've got a 13 year old boxer-lab mix that's starting to show signs of the end and I'm dreading it. Keep the pics and the stories to make you smile.