PDA

View Full Version : Bike part hoarding

bicycletricycle
03-15-2014, 05:52 PM
I seem to hoard some parts more than others, I didn't really notice this till I got organized this year, brakes and levers, hubs, stems and handlebars. By comparison I have very few seatposts , shifters and derailleurs. Anyone else have a similar experience. I really don't know why this has happened, brakes aren't even my favorite parts on a bicycle.

bicycletricycle
03-15-2014, 05:53 PM
I seem to hoard some parts more than others, I didn't really notice this till I got organized this year, brakes and levers, hubs, stems and handlebars. By comparison I have very few seatposts , shifters and derailleurs. Anyone else have a similar experience. I really don't know why this has happened, brakes aren't even my favorite parts on a bicycle.

First world problem for sure

jtakeda
03-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Saddles and wheels for me.

nebraskacycling
03-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Definitely the same way. I have way too many wheels and not enough cassettes for them. I really don't collect seatposts though. I guess I figure they will never go bad...

wallymann
03-15-2014, 06:17 PM
...and derailleurs.

And seatposts.

And headsets.

And hubs.

And wheelsets.

And framesets.

Oh, nevermind...

Ssalmon
03-15-2014, 06:34 PM

I love building a bike around a brake set, right now I have some cool XT V brakes that I am building a commuter around...

Nags&Ducs
03-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Saddles and wheels for me.

Me too! I bought a bunch of extra SI SL Flows when Performance had a great deal on them (something like $44 apiece) so I bought about 5 of them. So far only have 2 of them in use.

Recently, I've started to collect Campy alloy 10 groups. I just a Chorus 10 alloy recently and tried to buy another on ebay but lost out. I don't even have a frame sets waiting in the wings.

cfox
03-15-2014, 06:50 PM
I've gotten better about hoarding; just chains now. Oh, and brake/shift levers for some reason. I always have to have an extra set tucked away.

Uncle Jam's Army
03-15-2014, 06:53 PM
None of you guys can hold a candle to Ari :p

chengher87
03-15-2014, 07:27 PM
I try to have at least one backup for every component with constant replenishing when I'm down to one component.

But for some reason, I have too many backup rear derailleurs. Long, short, medium, WiFli?! There are just too many choices!

Although I don't consider it hoarding....I buy tubes, tires, cable, cable housing, brake pads, handle bar tape and chains in bulk when there is a good sale...

Oh, that's the definition of hoarding? Then the answer is yes.

merckx
03-15-2014, 07:42 PM
I've been hording Regal Girardi saddles because they are fabulous, though I may now have too many!

jtakeda
03-15-2014, 07:58 PM
I've been hording Regal Girardi saddles because they are fabulous, though I may now have too many!

I just took one of a bike I bought and was thinking of selling it. Are they really that nice? Havent ridden one yet.

don compton
03-15-2014, 09:10 PM
I have so much STUFF. Lots of old Campy stuff. I think I'll just let the grandkids dump it.:bike:

Louis
03-15-2014, 09:13 PM
BT - I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

pdmtong
03-15-2014, 09:29 PM
None of you guys can hold a candle to Ari :p

truth...he has stuff in his shed that is better than whats on my A bike

Fishbike
03-15-2014, 10:41 PM
Other people hoard. I collect.:rolleyes:

BdaGhisallo
03-16-2014, 04:36 AM
I see no problem hoarding things you like that may be discontinued:

Easton EC90 Equipe Pro handlebars. For me, the perfect handlebar bend and I have about 20 of them in my collection, with about 15 still in the plastic. I can't fathom why they won't make them anymore, but what do I know?

I also have a very large stash of Giro LTZ gloves in XS. They were hard to find in XS when they were in production and, while they still make them, they seem to have dropped the XS size.

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-16-2014, 05:42 AM
No comment.

merckx
03-16-2014, 05:49 AM
I just took one of a bike I bought and was thinking of selling it. Are they really that nice? Havent ridden one yet.

I prefer Regals. The Girardi version, NOS at this point, are a cut above the Regals currently available. I would try it before you punt it. If I didn't have so many on the shelf, I would consider making an offer on yours.

thwart
03-16-2014, 05:56 AM
… wait a minute... are you implying that everyone doesn't have a stash of bike parts?

:eek:

paredown
03-16-2014, 06:11 AM
Like the n+1 constant for the correct number of bikes, the corollary is that any item that you finally clear out from your parts bin will be the piece that you will want for your next build--and it will cost you 2x to replace where x is the sale price that you received on eBay.

Hoarding?--I got stuck on Look PP396 pedals--when I got back into riding and building, they were being dumped as people switched to Keos in droves. Not the lightest, probably not the best, but a good quality pedal. My price average is around $35, some of which were new. (I have backups.)

The most annoying thing to me is the odd wheel phenom--where you never quite seem to have the right number of matched fronts to go with rears.

Tandem Rider
03-16-2014, 06:13 AM
Hoarding would be if the parts were no longer functional, so I'm good. I just have labeled boxes of older, functional, potentially collectible, components. I find that if I keep it organized Mrs. TR doesn't give me grief about it.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2014, 06:23 AM
First world problem for sure

Yep, on the 2 bikes I normally ride, I have 'hoarded' those things that either wear out, or are hard to find, or both. Freewheels(I have about 10 DA/shimano 600 6 and 7s freewheels), last gen C-Record rear ders, C-Record retrofriction shifters, both the small and big barrel, bottom brackets in 111mm, Campagnolo, cup and ball, in the far superior Italian threading.

I have enough stuff to last well after I stop riding...

altho, riding the EPS Merckx..if the frame doesn't break, not sure if I'll build the second MXLeader with C-Record...the MXLeader/EPS/Delta works so well...

biker72
03-16-2014, 06:42 AM
For some reason I have quite a few saddles.

martl
03-17-2014, 06:29 AM

http://fstatic1.rennrad-news.de/img/photos/2/0/9/0/_/large/Kurbrln_017.jpg?0 (http://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/101572)

...those are just *some* of those that*aren't* mounted to any of my bikes.

tv_vt
03-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Where's that shot of someone's pegboard with all the Ariones? Think there were 17 of 'em, iirc. That was impressive.

Nags&Ducs
03-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Where's that shot of someone's pegboard with all the Ariones? Think there were 17 of 'em, iirc. That was impressive.

That's insane!

http://fstatic1.rennrad-news.de/img/photos/2/0/9/0/_/large/Kurbrln_017.jpg?0 (http://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/101572)

...those are just *some* of those that*aren't* mounted to any of my bikes.

You are insane. :beer:

tiretrax
03-17-2014, 02:48 PM
The only bad part of buying backups is when I decide to switch. Suddenly, the Arione wasn't comfortable. I now have 2 new and 1 used Arione and at least that many Aliente's. Oh, and handlebars. And a few groups.

donevwil
03-17-2014, 02:54 PM
For me a lot of it has to do with value, unless it's new gen (11spd anything) or highly desired (Campy alloy 10) bike parts tend to have low re-sale value. Once you need that old part again though they're impossible and/or $$$ to find, so why not keep them. Although all those cranks does indicate a need for therapy.

handsomerob
03-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Hoarding?--I got stuck on Look PP396 pedals--when I got back into riding and building, they were being dumped as people switched to Keos in droves. Not the lightest, probably not the best, but a good quality pedal. My price average is around $35, some of which were new. (I have backups.)

Shhh... about the PP396's.

The Keos are far superior in every way...(like Italian threading) but everyone don't just throw out those old scratched but buttery smooth 396's... PM me for an address to send them. I'll even pay for shipping. :)

handsomerob
03-17-2014, 04:04 PM
The one part I will continue to buy is 28.6mm clamps for Campy FD. So many steel frames still use them....I just don't understand why they have been discontinued. If I have my way I will never have to use a braze-on adapter.

thirdgenbird
03-17-2014, 04:51 PM
I've got a spare in every size but 28.6...

handsomerob
03-17-2014, 04:58 PM
I've got a spare in every size but 28.6...

That's like having every Pearl Jam album except Ten.

thwart
03-17-2014, 05:10 PM
What's Pearl Jam? ;)

thirdgenbird
03-17-2014, 05:17 PM

I've kept my eye open for one, but I hear some guy is hoarding then.

martl
03-28-2014, 04:54 PM
You are insane. :beer:
you might be right...

http://fstatic1.rennrad-news.de/f/1u/r7/1ur7x8a5xure/large_raeder.jpg?0 (http://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/342104)

Bstone
03-29-2014, 09:07 AM
What happens is this; I use things that are useful on new bikes builds.

All I end up hanging onto are retro-grouchy parts.

Friction downtube shifters, non-shifter brake levers, 7 and 8 speed stuff, square taper bottom brackets.

As opposed to natural selection, its really a process of non-selection.

gomango
03-29-2014, 10:42 AM
you might be right...

http://fstatic1.rennrad-news.de/f/1u/r7/1ur7x8a5xure/large_raeder.jpg?0 (http://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/342104)

Oh my, this looks all too familiar. :)

I think I could fund a fair amount of the Rick Jones frameset I am considering just by selling off several wheelsets and a few sets of spare Ergos.