PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless Wheel Choice

hairylegs
03-15-2014, 04:51 PM
I know...I'm sorry to starry yet another thread, but would love thoughts as I make my final decision.

I'm close to going with a custom build of the Pacenti SL23 with White Industry Hubs and Hutchinson Sectors. Looks like this will just fit on my 595, as it has just over 29mm on the chain stay for clearance (other pinch points are more.)

BUT, I just sold my Reynolds Assaults which I mainly used on my tri bike for racing, and have just become aware of the Bontrager Aura 5 TLR. This would give me the best of both worlds with regards to aero and tubeless.

Any thoughts on either of these options? Obviously the Bontrager are a bit more cash (and weight!), but not a ton.

The other option for the HED Ardennes (but only the "plus" are tubeless ready I have learned.)

To recap, I'm 195lbs and ride somewhat hard, and am looking to slightly soften the stiffness of my Look 595. But now that there's an aero option...it's a little tempting!

Thanks all for your opinions!

rnhood
03-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Tubeless wheels work fine, but I don't see any real advantage. I run 25 Conti 4000 at 80# on fast group rides, 75# on recovery rides and they provide an excellent ride.....on DA C24 non-tubeless wheels. And I can't emphasize enough that they ride superb. I rarely have flats but when I do, its extremely easy to change tubes as the tire comes on and off very easily. This is not the case with tubeless rims, at least not with DA tubeless rims. They can be a pain to get on and off. And ride quality is a matter of tire pressure, not tubed/tubeless construction.

My recommendation is to get a pair of the new 9000 C24 wheels and run 25 Conti tires. These wheels will laugh at your weight. They have no weight limit.

Aero is way overplayed. Unless you're doing a lot of 24+ mph group pulling, its virtually meaningless. I would buy a separate pair of aero wheels for your tri races.