PDA

View Full Version : Stainless screws for Speedplay

UKBROOKLYN
03-15-2014, 07:19 AM
Does anybody know the exact size and thread of Speedplay mounting screws. I want to order a bag of stainless steel ones so I have a ton o replacements. One can buy a bag of 8 on Fleabay for 8 bucks but I am sure I should be able to buy 100 for not much more.

I searched the forums but could not find this posted anywhere.

NB I have found over the rears that replacing SP screws from time to time is a very good idea.

Sorry found the answer.. M4 12

Ti Designs
03-15-2014, 07:40 AM
SpeedPlay uses M4x.75 screws, but there's a catch. Because the plate is constantly being compressed and released, screws tend to back out all the time. The first answer was Locktite, but any movement would start the screws backing themselves out. When you screw down a Speedplay screw you notice it starts to lock into set positions. Look at the backing of the counterface and you'll notice they have dimples which allow the screw to bite into the aluminum of the top plate and hold in place.

Speedplay screws are worth the price of admission - beats walking home!

UKBROOKLYN
03-15-2014, 07:45 AM
I have used Speedplay for years. At the beginning of last season someone gave me a handful of SS screws he had bought on line. (Can't remember who, a cycling acquaintance..) I bolted them in with no problem. BTW I have never had a screw back itself out on a Speedplay pedal. I prefer SS as they are easier to remove when you want to change the cleats or screws.

Ti Designs
03-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Lots of factors there, for use at a shop I would only use Speedplay screws. What you use and the results you get are up to you. As I said before, they are M4x.75

firerescuefin
03-15-2014, 10:45 AM
I've had the backplate rip away from the base of the shoe. As Ti mentioned…it's a wear item that certainly has limited wear cycles in it. Would be a bummer to have it ruin a ride/trip.

radsmd
03-15-2014, 10:54 AM
I've had screws back out when using the older non locking screws. I just gave them a call and they sent a bunch of the locking screws for free.

UKBROOKLYN
03-15-2014, 01:46 PM
The fact that I am totally anal when it comes to snapping on the cleat covers whenever I get off the bike may have something to do with my successes here.

Mark McM
03-17-2014, 07:42 AM
I have used Speedplay for years. At the beginning of last season someone gave me a handful of SS screws he had bought on line. (Can't remember who, a cycling acquaintance..) I bolted them in with no problem. BTW I have never had a screw back itself out on a Speedplay pedal. I prefer SS as they are easier to remove when you want to change the cleats or screws.

The need for the 'locking dimples' on the screw heads will be shoe dependent. The Speedplay system is very sensitive to the cleat plates being flat and straight. However, Speedplay cleat plates are thin and somewhat flexible, and their flatness depends greatly on the curve of the shoe sole and how well the curved adapter plate matches the sole. If the adapter and shoe sole are well matched, the screws can be tightened firmly and maintain cleat flatness. But if the adapter and the sole are less well matched, the screws can not be tightened too much or the cleat will deform/bend. Speedplay's solution was the locking dimples, so that the screws won't back out even if they are not tightened down firmly.

Elefantino
03-17-2014, 08:44 AM
The fact that I am totally anal when it comes to snapping on the cleat covers whenever I get off the bike may have something to do with my successes here.
I never take my covers off.

http://www.keeponkovers.com/covers_dark3.png

Highpowernut
03-17-2014, 09:07 AM
I never take my covers off.

http://www.keeponkovers.com/covers_dark3.png

I also have those covers, they are awesome never have to take them off.

Only problem is the cover won't fit on a northwave shoe with speedplay adaptor. So my race shoes will never get them:-(

Some people wonder if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan