PDA

View Full Version : new tat...lion of flanders...

cash05458
03-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Hey all...couldn't help but put this up...lion of flanders tat I just got...lived there for over a decade and speak dutch (badly!)...have always wanted the image...but man, this one hurt...:p

http://s39.photobucket.com/user/jefferyweigand/library/?view=recent&page=1

jt2gt
03-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Does look like it stung a bit...but pretty frickin detailed.

vqdriver
03-13-2014, 12:19 PM
very cool

i'm going to put a picture of you on my ridley

cash05458
03-13-2014, 12:21 PM
yeah, it is a funny image and even the artist said that...looks very solid black and not too complicated but once he got in there, it really is a complicated graphic...took him three hours...he gave me a great deal as he wanted it for his portfolio....200 bucks! But by the end, man, I was swooning abit from blood loss...laying all the black in took some doing...love the way it turned out tho of course and really glad I did it...glad as well didn't know how much it would hurt or I would have chickened out!

cash05458
03-13-2014, 12:22 PM
very cool

i'm going to put a picture of you on my ridley

no faces please!

MattTuck
03-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Looks great. This is one of the few cycling related images that I'd think about tattooing on myself.

cash05458
03-13-2014, 12:44 PM
thanks Matt! If you should decide to do it...and this is 4 inches by 4...bring some painkillers with you...:rolleyes:

R2D2
03-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Like the winged wheels too!

cash05458
03-13-2014, 01:45 PM
thanks R2!

MattTuck
03-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Where in VT are you? Near WRJ by any chance?

veggieburger
03-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Dat is heel mooi, jochie! :)

gearguywb
03-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Very Nice!

cash05458
03-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Dat is heel mooi, jochie! :)
dank je wel....! Ik Hebt mooi Pijn...maar het ist goed...sorry for the bad vlaams...it has been while...

Louis
03-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Neat - now you'll have to explain to folks where Flanders is.

Plus you have to memorize at least a bit of this:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

cash05458
03-13-2014, 04:30 PM
I know that one Louis...and it is lovely...

bikingshearer
03-13-2014, 05:42 PM
...lived there for over a decade and speak dutch (badly!)...

According to the Dutch, everyone in Flanders speaks Dutch badly. (And according to the French, the Walloons speak French attrociously.) :p

veloduffer
03-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Initially I thought " why would anyone get a tattoo of Johan Museeuw?" :-)

cash05458
03-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Initially I thought " why would anyone get a tattoo of Johan Museeuw?" :-)

yeah...why at all? pointless eh?

cash05458
03-13-2014, 06:43 PM
not even sure why I bother...but I guess this is why I ride alone...:butt:

oldpotatoe
03-14-2014, 06:29 AM
not even sure why I bother...but I guess this is why I ride alone...:butt:

me too....

A lot of people don't understand emotion, dedication and tattoos...mostly the tattoo part...let 'em miss out.....wait to see how many 'tattoos are strange, not gonna do something permanent, MY skin", type responses there are.

Dave B
03-14-2014, 06:56 AM
me too....

A lot of people don't understand emotion, dedication and tattoos...mostly the tattoo part...let 'em miss out.....wait to see how many 'tattoos are strange, not gonna do something permanent, MY skin", type responses there are.

When I got my IF-too I caught all sorts of crap...except from my pals at IF, which was the response of mutual admiration. my best response to this has always been, "I got the ink for me not for you."

currently planning my first partial sleeve. Thinking more scary skulls and angel of death, but my tastes have changed. ;)

oldpotatoe
03-14-2014, 07:03 AM
When I got my IF-too I caught all sorts of crap...except from my pals at IF, which was the response of mutual admiration. my best response to this has always been, "I got the ink for me not for you."

currently planning my first partial sleeve. Thinking more scary skulls and angel of death, but my tastes have changed. ;)

Me too..when I showed my 'other' Campagnolo tattoo to Miguel Indurain, while in Morgul-Bismark, early 90s, he said, 'esta loco'....

Showed it to Valentino(Campagnolo) also, first time, he looked at me like I was a stalker or something...

Like you said, I do it for me, not 'them'...

My skins getting kinda 'old', but I would like a sleeve also...Scottish theme, complete with tartan...but expensive also. Have this on my right arm..both sons do too..done by a local artist, named, 'Tara' Chisholm, my cousin.

christian
03-14-2014, 07:23 AM
It's a nice-looking tattoo, but I have to admit, if I saw someone wearing it in Belgium, my immediate thoguht would be that they were a supporter of Vlams Blok/Vlams Belang, not Johan Museeuw.

William
03-14-2014, 07:31 AM

Coming from Portland, tats were no big deal to me long before they became the "in thing" as of late. They main point Mr. Prez hit on the head...ink is a very personal thing. You get them for you. Other people not understanding comes with the territory. If it speaks to you, do it and don't look back. I will admit I don't get head and neck tattoos, but what ever, it's your canvas.

William

Dave B
03-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Me too..when I showed my 'other' Campagnolo tattoo to Miguel Indurain, while in Morgul-Bismark, early 90s, he said, 'esta loco'....

Showed it to Valentino(Campagnolo) also, first time, he looked at me like I was a stalker or something...

Like you said, I do it for me, not 'them'...

My skins getting kinda 'old', but I would like a sleeve also...Scottish theme, complete with tartan...but expensive also. Have this on my right arm..both sons do too..done by a local artist, named, 'Tara' Chisholm, my cousin.

One of my 6th grade students asked me what people will think when I am an old grandpa (I am 38 now) and have tattoos all over.

One of my favorite boys shouts out, "He will look like a badass grandpa you moron!"

It was awesome, perfectly timed and exactly what I was thinking. I just smiled and winked and went on with our lab.

Dave B
03-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Coming from Portland, tats were no big deal to me long before they became the "in thing" as of late. They main point Mr. Prez hit on the head...ink is a very personal thing. You get them for you. Other people not understanding comes with the territory. If it speaks to you, do it and don't look back. I will admit I don't get head and neck tattoos, but what ever, it's your canvas.

William

my principal has a few and she is totally cool with mine. I only have ones on my wrist area showing and asked her about a sleeve or partial...would she mind. She was more than cool with it and while she said to be aware of the subject matter i put on, she said if parents had an issue to send them to her and she would show them hers. Lots of support here.

cash05458
03-15-2014, 11:49 AM
"Me too..when I showed my 'other' Campagnolo tattoo to Miguel Indurain, while in Morgul-Bismark, early 90s, he said, 'esta loco'....

Showed it to Valentino(Campagnolo) also, first time, he looked at me like I was a stalker or something..."

Lol...that is so great Peter...being told you are abit crazy by Indurian is a great story...and yeah, about Campagnolo, you, we...are abit of the stalker bunch eh?

Via the Vlaamse Blok stuff...that is important why the thing has the red claws...the lion with all black claws is immediately seen there as far right...besides being a far better image with the red and the black, the all black one denotes a pretty opposite viewpoint via Flaanders...

bikingshearer
03-19-2014, 11:38 AM
me too....

Count me as one who doesn't get the whole tattoo thing. Count me as one who thinks it isn't for me (I have yet to see a design I like so much that I want to see it on my sorry saggy self for the rest of my life).

Count me also as one who firmly believes that, if it floats your boat, go for it, with one caveat. I do think young'uns (under 18 at least, maybe under 21) should hold off because they may not be prepared to deal with the negative treatment tattoos still elicit in some circles. Not saying it ought to be this way, but it is reality, and my experience tells me that you really need to be prepared to deal with life as it is, not as you wish it were, even as you work to make changes. Young'uns too often lack the maturity to get this. (Same for too many adults, but they/we're on our own.)

But ultimately, I think it comes down to this: There are some things where you really ought to be governed by what others will think. Deciding whether to kill the neighbors for their latest infliction of noise at 3:00 am is one of them. Deciding whether to get a tattoo isn't.

cash05458
03-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Count me as one who doesn't get the whole tattoo thing. Count me as one who thinks it isn't for me (I have yet to see a design I like so much that I want to see it on my sorry saggy self for the rest of my life).

Count me also as one who firmly believes that, if it floats your boat, go for it, with one caveat. I do think young'uns (under 18 at least, maybe under 21) should hold off because they may not be prepared to deal with the negative treatment tattoos still elicit in some circles. Not saying it ought to be this way, but it is reality, and my experience tells me that you really need to be prepared to deal with life as it is, not as you wish it were, even as you work to make changes. Young'uns too often lack the maturity to get this. (Same for too many adults, but they/we're on our own.)

But ultimately, I think it comes down to this: There are some things where you really ought to be governed by what others will think. Deciding whether to kill the neighbors for their latest infliction of noise at 3:00 am is one of them. Deciding whether to get a tattoo isn't.

I agree on kids getting them...here we had some shops giving tats to young kids whose mom's brought them in...like 13...that is ridiculous I think...funny, for me...it wasn't until very late in life (almost 50) that I thought about them differently and decided to get the two I wanted...I am glad I don't have some image on my sagging body I thought was cool when I was 21...

at this point, I knew my images and what I wanted for years so that aint gonna change...too old and stodgy...

cash05458
03-19-2014, 12:35 PM
and Pete...love the tartan idea for your sleeve...that sounds pretty great!

Germany_chris
03-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Who am I to argue if it means something to you..

R2D2
03-19-2014, 05:34 PM
One of my 6th grade students asked me what people will think when I am an old grandpa (I am 38 now) and have tattoos all over.

One of my favorite boys shouts out, "He will look like a badass grandpa you moron!"

It was awesome, perfectly timed and exactly what I was thinking. I just smiled and winked and went on with our lab.

Hey were your kids in Talladega Nights!

I'll laugh all night now!

Md3000
03-19-2014, 05:55 PM
I think the people who spend years trying to find that one tattoo design that will be meaningful for a lifetime are missing the point. I see tattoos as the end of a period of your life, as if you were keeping a journal. Whenever something significant happened, you get a tat remembering it. Just like how scars remind you of a bad crash :)