PDA

View Full Version : Canti brakes and road levers?

jmoore
03-12-2014, 04:33 PM
I have a full 9sp Ultegra group and I'm thinking about buying a Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross to hang it on.

Will this setup work? Are there specific canti brakes made for specific lever types? I know nothing about CX parts so all the reading is confusing.

carlineng
03-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Should work fine. I believe Shimano levers have slightly more pull than SRAM/Campy, so your levers should work well with most cantilevers.

If you get standard V-brakes, you might run into problems. Mini-V's like TRP CX9 or CX8.4 should be fine.

Tektro CR-720 is a great budget cantilever.

rwsaunders
03-12-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm running DA 7700 with Tektro cr720 canti brakes on one bike with no issues.

Frankwurst
03-12-2014, 05:32 PM
I might be off base here but I run cantis all the time with RB levers. I think, and here's where it gets sketchy because I'm thinkin', RB levers with v brakes is where things might head south depending on the pull of the v brakes. :beer:

jmoore
03-12-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm liking these answers so far. Keep the suggestions coming.

Do the Tektros cause any issues sticking our so much?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Don49
03-12-2014, 05:59 PM
I have a full 9sp Ultegra group and I'm thinking about buying a Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross to hang it on. I too have a full 9sp Ultegra group and was researching for a cx frame. I noticed that the Monster Cross frame has a restriction on what cranks will work with it http://www.blackmtncycles.com/2011/04/cross-frame-crank-compatibility.html Looks like my Ultega crank might not work. Just wanted to be sure you are aware.

jmoore
03-12-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm aware.of the crank restrictions. Already gone through that.research. likely going with a single spped cross setup using a 42 on the outside ring and losing the inner ring on the Ultegra double.

rwsaunders
03-12-2014, 06:03 PM
I'm liking theDo the Tektros cause any issues sticking our so much?

I don't race CX and only use them on a Poprad as pictured, but I can see where racing CX might present an issue as they do protrude. Perhaps consider mixing them with shorter armed Tektro's like the cr710's or 922a's up front. I know that some CX'ers run Paul neo-retro's up front and Paul touring canti's in the rear for just that same reason.

fourflys
03-12-2014, 06:16 PM
should work just fine...

BTW- I've got Paul Mini-Moto mini-v's on my Black Mountain and really like them... a little pricier than Tektros, but man are they nice and pretty... if you have to have cantis, the Paul Touring are very nice...

good point on the crankset above... I run a Sugino that Mike at Black Mountain suggested...

Just shoot Mike an email or give him a call... he'll give you a straight answer...

pdmtong
03-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Unless you plan to see a lot of mud the trp mini v is the brake of choice.
It's way more powerful than a canti

Ask cx racers. Canti's are designed to scrub speed slow you down and work in mud. Notice i did not say stop you.

I have had various canti's. Rake the br550 for example. Nice basic brake but stops now where near as confident as my trp Vs

Trp makes differen v brakes based on which mfg your levers are. Call the. It see their site

commonguy001
03-12-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm aware.of the crank restrictions. Already gone through that.research. likely going with a single spped cross setup using a 42 on the outside ring and losing the inner ring on the Ultegra double.

The V3 bmc doesn't have the same crank arm clearance issues as prior frames. They added a little bend to the stays.
They also dropped the BB from the V2 from 65mm to 70mm or something like that.

Side note I'm going to be running mini motos with ultegea 10 shifters on mine.

bobswire
03-12-2014, 07:20 PM
I installed some Tektro 926AL Mini V Brakes last week after suggestions from this forum. Love them,cheap, easy to set up and stop on a dime. I'll be getting some better pads for them but they seem to work well with the ones that came with them. I'll be getting a Black Mountain also in the near future.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2u9ih40.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2e4kcnt.jpg

evo111@comcast.net
03-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Ask Mike the owner of Black Mountain. He probably has seen and tried every combination of brakes/levers and gears and gearing and would be able to tell you what works or doesn't.

jmoore
03-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Mike confirmed both the crank restrictions and that my front 42 chainring will clear. He also said most any canti or mini v will work with the Ultegra levers. So I'll likely ordrr by the weekend.

Now to decide between gray and green!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

druptight
03-12-2014, 09:33 PM
As an alternative to the TRP's, tektro makes a RX 5 and RX 6 that correspond with the TRP 8.4 and TRP 9. They're like 1/3 the price with 100% of the functionality, and 62% of the sexiness. I run them on my commuter, and they're a delight.

henry14
03-12-2014, 10:18 PM
+1 on mini v's. Had Paul canti's and just switched to TRP mini v's. So much more stopping power now.

fourflys
03-12-2014, 11:36 PM

The green is pretty rad if you ask me... if I didn't already have the root beer, I'd be down for the green!

commonguy001
03-13-2014, 06:03 AM
Mike confirmed both the crank restrictions and that my front 42 chainring will clear. He also said most any canti or mini v will work with the Ultegra levers. So I'll likely ordrr by the weekend.

Very interesting
Mike had assured me that a compact 6750 crank with 34/50 rings would fit the new framesets when I ordered mine... Guess I need to get to building it and seeing if I need to order a new crankset.
I will say that the frames had not landed when we talked and the order had been placed... If they fit (or not) I'll update as it's kind of a big deal IMO.

I got gray as there were no 59cm frames in green but I like the gray, it looks good.

jmoore
03-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Very interesting
Mike had assured me that a compact 6750 crank with 34/50 rings would fit the new framesets when I ordered mine... Guess I need to get to building it and seeing if I need to order a new crankset.

I got gray as there were no 59cm frames in green but I like the gray, it looks good.

He told me the same thing about at 50/34 crank. I clarified with him about using a modified Ultegra double with the 42. He said that will clear. So the restriction sounds like on ring size instead of BCD if I'm understanding correctly.

commonguy001
03-13-2014, 08:23 AM
He told me the same thing about at 50/34 crank. I clarified with him about using a modified Ultegra double with the 42. He said that will clear. So the restriction sounds like on ring size instead of BCD toe if I'm understanding.

Ah very good. (as I breath just a bit easier now :^)

jmoore
03-13-2014, 08:45 AM
The green is pretty rad if you ask me... if I didn't already have the root beer, I'd be down for the green!

Poking around on the site, he has gray, green, orange and root beer available.

So now ··· do I do :D

brando
03-13-2014, 02:49 PM
I have trp mini-v 8.4's on one cx bike and paul mini motos on another cx bike.

Paul mini motos have more clearance. I tried a monster cross-sized tire with the trp and it was so tight it rubbed the rubber boot.

Also, I prefer the feel of the mini moto's. Not as grabby.

I haven't tried cantis for monster crossin' but I doubt they'd have the power for bigger terrain.

Monster cross, sounds so faddish but it's probably the smartest bike I ever put together.

tctyres
03-13-2014, 06:03 PM
I have a pair of tektro 720s but haven't had a chance to use them. A lot of people really like them. They seem pretty straightforward to set up.

I have two canti'd bikes that I changed to mini-v brakes. I much prefer the mini-v brakes. There are three negatives to mini-v's: 1. They require a bit more cable pull than regular cantilevers, 2. they don't work with all frames originally designed for cantilevers, and 3. they don't have enough offset for all brake shoes.

Problem 1 goes away with travel agents or by setting your brake shoes relatively close to the rim. Problem 2 is a real issue on some frames. I had to drill out the brake pad holder an extra 2mm so that the brake pad was contacting the rim clear of the tire. Problem 3 can limit tire size because most brake shoes wind up hitting the stays and fork. This means that there is not necessarily enough clearance when the brake is not engaged. You can switch to high clearance brake pads, and Mark Chandler had a post on this on his Gravelbike blog.

I've never had a problem with canti's running off road on jeep trails with a touring bike. They stop plenty fast and engage with enough power. For daily riding however, I do like mini-v's.

Also, I agree with whomever pointed out that the Tektro mini-v brake pads wear out fast. They do.

fourflys
03-13-2014, 06:18 PM

well, the root beer just sparkles in the sun... I have an orange road on the way...

exapkib
03-13-2014, 09:21 PM

I'm currently in the process of building up a green frame--it also has a fantastic sparkle in the sun. Definitely eye-catching.

Photos to follow . . . soon.

ecsnsmb
03-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Another Mini V vote. Also been running my TRP EuroX's with SRAM Red levers for some time now without any issues.