PDA

View Full Version : SRAM CX1 Officially Announced...

eBAUMANN
03-11-2014, 02:46 PM
http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/nu5yovUu60d6RNAFCFOe2E8Jiz0SE0ZQ-dIO1jp5dao/mtime:1394217217/sites/default/files/phc-header/force_cx1_landing_page_742x416.jpg

Anyone else excited by this news (http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/sram-reveals-cx1-one-by-cyclocross-group-40316/)? I am…kinda…I think.

I guess my main gripes are primarily with the RD, its weight, and its pricing compared to other comparable options:

1 - New CX1 RD is 11g HEAVIER and $114 PRICIER (MSRP) than a X9 Type II unit…granted the X9 is 10 speed only…but I don't see that as a con really, especially not for CX where more space between cogs and a thicker/stronger chain is a good thing.

2 - New CX1 RD is $5 MORE expensive (MSRP) than the current going rate (on ebay) for a XX1 rd (which is 41g lighter), which IS 11-speed compatible. Yes I realize ebay pricing isn't really a fair comparison but its sorta how market value is dictated these days...

On the other hand, this group introduces a (personally) long awaited component: a left brake lever with the current hood shape!

Very excited about that :)

Any other 1x geeks out there with some thoughts on the topic?

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 02:50 PM
http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/nu5yovUu60d6RNAFCFOe2E8Jiz0SE0ZQ-dIO1jp5dao/mtime:1394217217/sites/default/files/phc-header/force_cx1_landing_page_742x416.jpg

Anyone else excited by this news (http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/sram-reveals-cx1-one-by-cyclocross-group-40316/)? I am…kinda…I think.

I guess my main gripes are primarily with the RD, its weight, and its pricing compared to other comparable options:

1 - New CX1 RD is 11g HEAVIER and $114 PRICIER (MSRP) than a X9 Type II unit…granted the X9 is 10 speed only…but I don't see that as a con really, especially not for CX where more space between cogs and a thicker/stronger chain is a good thing.

2 - New CX1 RD is $5 MORE expensive (MSRP) than the current going rate (on ebay) for a XX1 rd (which is 41g lighter), which IS 11-speed compatible. Yes I realize ebay pricing isn't really a fair comparison but its sorta how market value is dictated these days...

On the other hand, this group introduces a (personally) long awaited component: a left brake lever with the current hood shape!

Very excited about that :)

Any other 1x geeks out there with some thoughts on the topic?

Hydro compatible?

eBAUMANN
03-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Hydro compatible?

Doesnt look like it…though I don't see why they couldn't just gut a S500 left hydro lever…right?

gavingould
03-11-2014, 02:54 PM
too bad xx1 RD is diff cable pull than the road stuff, or at least that's what i've read. i ran single front for a season with a catcher and an outer guard, regular RD and dropped once or twice. last season went back to double and dropped none that i recall now.

in the early stages i was interested in running cx1 and saw some of the dev parts locally (JP the product mgr sometimes rides in weekly cx practices) but i'll be on Shimano hydro disc/di2 in a few weeks.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Doesnt look like it…though I don't see why they couldn't just gut a S500 left hydro lever…right?

Although they say the 'new' wet disc is next month, this, w/o any reference to hydros, makes me wonder.

eBAUMANN
03-11-2014, 03:00 PM
too bad xx1 RD is diff cable pull than the road stuff, or at least that's what i've read. i ran single front for a season with a catcher and an outer guard, regular RD and dropped once or twice. last season went back to double and dropped none that i recall now.

in the early stages i was interested in running cx1 and saw some of the dev parts locally (JP the product mgr sometimes rides in weekly cx practices) but i'll be on Shimano hydro disc/di2 in a few weeks.

GREAT info to know, I wasn't sure if the XX1 rd would work with the road 11 speed shifter or not, as I have ZERO experience with either.

I have been runnin SRAM 1x10 for the past 3 cx seasons, moving to a catcher-less setup this past season with a Wolf Tooth Components chainring and X9-Type II RD, worked GREAT. Over 33 races I only had one dropped chain, kinda a flukey situation, but it happened.

Bruce K
03-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Maybe I missed something but I thought one feature of the CX1 is a barrel adjuster on the RD that is not on the MTB RD.

For many folks probably not a big deal but mid-weekend could come in handy

BK

eBAUMANN
03-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Maybe I missed something but I thought one feature of the CX1 is a barrel adjuster on the RD that is not on the MTB RD.

For many folks probably not a big deal but mid-weekend could come in handy

BK

I had this realization when I first installed the X9 RD on my bike last year…quickly remedied by an inline adjuster on the housing by the bars…super easy to adjust while riding (obviously) and works great.

I never really used inline adjusters before (as most road bikes will have adjusters built into the DT stops) but I am totally sold on em for cx use and will have them installed on all my off-road rigs regardless of what RD they might be using.

gospastic
03-11-2014, 03:17 PM
If you want to move to 1x11 You're probably okay with just getting the lever/shifter. And a cassette/chain. I think x9 you have will work with 11sp.

eBAUMANN
03-11-2014, 03:22 PM
If you want to move to 1x11 You're probably okay with just getting the lever/shifter. And a cassette/chain. I think x9 you have will work with 11sp.

That would be pretty amazing…are you basing this speculation on anything specific or just hypothesizing?

eBAUMANN
03-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Although they say the 'new' wet disc is next month, this, w/o any reference to hydros, makes me wonder.

Via Bikerumor...

"We’re told there will be both mechanical and hydraulic brakes available with the system, though all we’ve seen to this point are the mechanical versions. The group will include a CX1 specific rear brake lever without shifter internals that is painted to match the rest of the system. Otherwise, the levers are fairly similar to the latest versions."

gospastic
03-11-2014, 03:28 PM
That would be pretty amazing…are you basing this speculation on anything specific or just hypothesizing?

From what I can tell 10sp MTB/road and 11sp road RDs seem to all be compatible. The only one that won't work is 11sp MTB. I know for sure (as do you) that 10sp MTB/Road is compatible. I have read of people using 10sp road RDs with 11sp shifters with no problems. Also this quote from the bikeradar article...

“Racers with 10-speed Force can just buy the X-Sync chainring and CX1 rear derailleur and be good to go,” McCarthy said.

Which means that the CX1 RD works with 10sp or 11sp shifters.

jbay
03-11-2014, 03:37 PM
That would be pretty amazing…are you basing this speculation on anything specific or just hypothesizing?@the_wilcox used a 10x rear mech. with an 11x shifter and cassette last year with no bother.

Velonews (http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/03/bikes-and-tech/sram-officially-unveils-cx1_319157) say the same thing today too:

"The Exact Actuation of the rear derailleur makes it cross compatible with 10- and 11-speed SRAM drivetrains, but not cross compatible with XX1 and XO1 rear derailleurs, as the mountain bike rear derailleurs require a different amount of cable pull."

-- John

jbay
03-11-2014, 03:39 PM
For my own crazy purposes, the missing piece of the puzzle now is an 11x 11-36T cassette (i.e. one that does not require the XXI hub/driver).

-- John

eBAUMANN
03-11-2014, 03:40 PM
@the_wilcox used a 10x rear mech. with an 11x shifter and cassette last year with no bother.

Velonews (http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/03/bikes-and-tech/sram-officially-unveils-cx1_319157) say the same thing today too:

"The Exact Actuation of the rear derailleur makes it cross compatible with 10- and 11-speed SRAM drivetrains, but not cross compatible with XX1 and XO1 rear derailleurs, as the mountain bike rear derailleurs require a different amount of cable pull."

-- John

Well then, its settled! X9-II with force cx1 shifty bits. Thanks for the tip!

For my own crazy purposes, the missing piece of the puzzle now is an 11x 11-36T cassette (i.e. one that does not require the XXI hub/driver).

-- John

Yea…any idea what would prevent that? Obviously the spacing issue for 11-spd has been resolved…what would be the limiting factor for cog size on the top end?

jbay
03-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Well then, its settled! X9-II with force cx1 shifty bits. Thanks for the tip!Have fun with that!

Yea…any idea what would prevent that? Obviously the spacing issue for 11-spd has been resolved…what would be the limiting factor for cog size on the top end?I don't think there is a technical issue, no. However, I suspect that all of SRAM's MTB-ish stuff will follow XXI with the proprietary cassette body and 10T small sprocket.

I believe I read that XTR will be going 11-speed this year though (still with double chainrings up front) so perhaps Shimano will make cassettes that fit the bill.

-- John

pavel
03-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Conspicuously absent: ftont derailleur. lol.

thirdgenbird
03-11-2014, 05:27 PM
I believe I read that XTR will be going 11-speed this year though (still with double chainrings up front) so perhaps Shimano will make cassettes that fit the bill.

-- John

The crappy leaked image is saw showed 11spd xtr would be available with a single, double, or triple crankset.

neilthepirate
03-12-2014, 10:23 AM
I am cause everyone is gunna be selling their sram 10 stuff for cheap.

Life is a garden .. Dig it

tylerbick
03-13-2014, 11:34 AM

All I can think of what a warranty hay-day this is gonna be. Maybe they should keep it in R&D for another year just to be safe...

oldpotatoe
03-13-2014, 11:39 AM
All I can think of what a warranty hay-day this is gonna be. Maybe they should keep it in R&D for another year just to be safe...

For those that got mechanical disc brake shifters as part of the warranty, does SRAM expect to get those back? Shifters/calipers?

And if they don't work.....will the wet road calipers be new?