PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there waiting on a Stages?

earlfoss
03-11-2014, 09:33 AM
I placed my order at the end of January and finally gave up waiting today.

There is a lot of chatter online that the company is really bad with communication and the speed at which warranties and customer service is very slow. It sounds like wait times are closer to 6-8 weeks at this point.

Is there anyone else here waiting to receive theirs?

ptourkin
03-11-2014, 09:45 AM
I was excited about Stages because they are the simplest option for keepin DA9000 cranks. I gave up after seeing the delivery delays and lack of responsiveness. I went with Power2Max who are responding almost instantly via email and on their official support forum on Slowtwitch. My Rotor3d Plus cranks and Type S powermeter shipped from Canada one week after order.
Campy stuff is due in May.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 09:53 AM
I placed my order at the end of January and finally gave up waiting today.

There is a lot of chatter online that the company is really bad with communication and the speed at which warranties and customer service is very slow. It sounds like wait times are closer to 6-8 weeks at this point.

Is there anyone else here waiting to receive theirs?

End of January to now is about 6 weeks, yes?

Small company with huge demand for a really good, Boulder made product.

But if ya want instant, get something else.

When I was I the shop they were always about 6 weeks, 7 weeks.

earlfoss
03-11-2014, 10:22 AM
I got a response from them saying that demand was much higher than expected and that the actual wait times are 6-8 weeks. My order would likely not ship for another 2 weeks, so I canceled. I don't think that people would have a problem waiting however long they say it will be, as long as they're honest and update the site to keep people informed. Doing this creates goodwill and trust in a new company just trying to get off the ground. I have a friend in town who had emailed them last week to ask his order status and got no response.

There's the common problem of the battery draining and the broken battery covers and gaskets along with the fact that if you have a warranty and need a replacement shipped to you, you're at the back of the line all over again.

I think the company is going through some growing pains and this experience hasn't soured my view of them. I'll probably place an order with them once I have seen that things are operating a little more smoothly.

RedRider
03-11-2014, 10:30 AM
As a Dealer, I've experienced very good communications with Stages and even with delays they have been keeping us updated. Calls and emails have been returned within hours. This places them well ahead of much of their competition.
As of last week they were quoting 6-8 weeks. Managing expectations is important customer service.

rhump
03-11-2014, 10:55 AM
I waited at least six weeks for mine, but everytime I called a live person picked up and answered my questions. I also suffered a broken battery door and they overnighted me a new crankarm with return shipping for the defective one. I was told they keep a seperate stock for quick turnarounds on warranty claims. Aside from the long initial wait time every other interaction has been great.

ptourkin
03-11-2014, 12:52 PM
End of January to now is about 6 weeks, yes?

Small company with huge demand for a really good, Boulder made product.

But if ya want instant, get something else.

When I was I the shop they were always about 6 weeks, 7 weeks.

This is a good point. I think somebody already posted their manufacturing video - you can see the process in a small shop who are obviously blowing up internationally. I wish them luck. I should add that my decision was influenced by a recent injury and I wanted two-legged readings.

Neil
03-11-2014, 02:26 PM
My experience was the same as a lot of other posters- placed my order before Christmas, waited, waited some more, finally told that it'd be "at least" another 8 weeks, cancelled my order.

BSBD
03-11-2014, 05:53 PM
I think it depends on the crank arm being picked. I ordered a Hollowgram 172.5 arm mid Jan and got it a month and a couple days later.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 06:02 PM
I think it depends on the crank arm being picked. I ordered a Hollowgram 172.5 arm mid Jan and got it a month and a couple days later.

It does, they are sourcing single crank arms from shimano.

fkelly
03-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Ordered Dura Ace 175 based unit February 2. As of now, it's been 5 weeks and a couple of days. They provide an order status tracking link where you can see when it's been shipped.

In the Northeast at least, while we get a few days that we can ride at this time of year, it's a few weeks before there will be any consistent day to day riding and that's when I'll get antsy. I'm just hoping they get the battery issues and any other glitches out of the way before they ship mine.

Louis
03-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Just out of curiosity, what does the crank-arm unit talk to?

(I checked the web site and looked a bit, but did not find the answer to this)

kramnnim
03-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, what does the crank-arm unit talk to?

(I checked the web site and looked a bit, but did not find the answer to this)

Any ANT+ receiving unit?

Edit: And Bluetooth Smart...

Louis
03-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Any ANT+ receiving unit?

Apparently I'm still living in the Stone Age, because that doesn't mean anything to me.

Edit: I'll Google it.

Louis
03-11-2014, 07:00 PM
OK, so I assume folks use their Samsung Galaxy phone.

Are there apps out there to post-process the data? Otherwise one would just get a mess of gibberish.

kramnnim
03-11-2014, 07:01 PM
The majority of people use a Garmin, I guess there are other similar options...

T.J.
03-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Louis, ANT + like a garmin 500, 800 etc. Or a SRM wireless computer etc

Louis
03-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Louis, ANT + like a garmin 500, 800 etc. Or a SRM wireless computer etc

Got it. I didn't know that Garmin units could also display and process power data.

T.J.
03-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Got it. I didn't know that Garmin units could also display and process power data.

Yessir. My Garmin will show current power, avg power, normalized power etc. I use training peaks to analyze it further

Jason E
03-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Is that really to long to wait for a relatively new product in demand?

I ordered mine about 8 weeks ago. They said 8 weeks. I now have it. Brilliant.

8 weeks is not that long. Restore faith in patience; order, wait, receive, enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CiclistiCliff
03-12-2014, 01:23 AM
4 person company. Product creates huge demand. Now at 12 employee company and growing.

Mikej
03-12-2014, 05:40 AM
Polar has a new BT smart watch out or ready for release. I like polar, some guys don't.

Auk
03-12-2014, 05:49 AM
OK, so I assume folks use their Samsung Galaxy phone.

Are there apps out there to post-process the data? Otherwise one would just get a mess of gibberish.

it will tranmit to any of the Garmin units that are ant+, i.e. models 300 and up.

To process the data post ride, there are any number of programs, Training Peaks being one of them.

oldpotatoe
03-12-2014, 06:14 AM
Is that really to long to wait for a relatively new product in demand?

I ordered mine about 8 weeks ago. They said 8 weeks. I now have it. Brilliant.

8 weeks is not that long. Restore faith in patience; order, wait, receive, enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sometimes you buy the 'company' as much as the product. I know a lot of these guys, local Boulder company, and they really GAS. They designed a great product and are growing quickly..'some' wait 5-7 YEARS for a frame..8 weeks isn't that tough, IMHO

Dromen
03-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Based on the long line to buy and seeing very few used for sale. Am i to assume the market is generally happy with performance, power reading accuracy, durability(get the door thing breaking...these things get fixed), pairing issues, firmware updates, etc? Yes Ive read The Rainmakers 100K word reviews, curious on word from forum.

I am currently wheel powered(G3 hub) and want to power a new bike that will not be compatable with rear wheel. Vector is a little new and expensive and quarg is just expensive.

Love this pic:

Highpowernut
03-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Based on the long line to buy and seeing very few used for sale. Am i to assume the market is generally happy with performance, power reading accuracy, durability(get the door thing breaking...these things get fixed), pairing issues, firmware updates, etc? Yes Ive read The Rainmakers 100K word reviews, curious on word from forum.

I am currently wheel powered(G3 hub) and want to power a new bike that will not be compatable with rear wheel. Vector is a little new and expensive and quarg is just expensive.

Love this pic:

I am interested also. Been thinking about getting one ,

Just haven't saved the pennies.

Some people wonder if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan

FastforaSlowGuy
03-12-2014, 08:05 PM
I've got 2 and both took 7-8 weeks. I've also had a P2M. Both great products. But yeah, P2M is a more mature company. Love my Stages though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

fkelly
03-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Quick update: February 2 order shipped March 12. Pretty much on schedule.

ptourkin
03-19-2014, 12:39 PM
My P2M Type S with Rotor 3D+ had a 30mm spindle and required a Rotor BB for my BSA Holland Exogrid. Even with that mod, it didn't work out and rubbed on the wire through the BB shell to the Di2 rear der. It would have definitely cut the wire eventually - not an option for me. So, looks like it's back to Stages for me. Hope the wait isn't that long.