PDA

View Full Version : How Come No More Campy Seat Posts

rounder
03-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Just wondering. How come Campy does not make seat posts anymore. Their old alloy seat posts were beautiful and sold for lots in NOS condition. They also made ti and carbon for awhile. It's not like this is a performance part. I do not remember any announcements...it seemed like the seat post parts just faded away.

bluesea
03-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Don't have an answer for you, but there were some NOS steel Centaur SPs available not too long ago. Still kicking myself for letting those go.

ultraman6970
03-11-2014, 12:31 AM
For years wondering the same thing, shimano did the same thing with theirs.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 05:37 AM
Just wondering. How come Campy does not make seat posts anymore. Their old alloy seat posts were beautiful and sold for lots in NOS condition. They also made ti and carbon for awhile. It's not like this is a performance part. I do not remember any announcements...it seemed like the seat post parts just faded away.

Lots of unique frames, lots of unique sizes so it could say 'Colnago' or whatever...silly seat masts, etc...not worth it, kinda like pedals. shimano stopped with SP as well....

Ti Designs
03-11-2014, 05:48 AM
Too many changes in bikes, and most people didn't understand that 9 or 10-speed seatposts shouldn't be used with an 11-speed bike.

veloduffer
03-11-2014, 05:54 AM
Too many changes in bikes, and most people didn't understand that 9 or 10-speed seatposts shouldn't be used with an 11-speed bike.

LOL, true dat!

Climb01742
03-11-2014, 07:17 AM
i'm a dyed-in-the-wool shimano guy but...campy record seatposts with their single bolt and many small teeth angle-adjustment design was a thing of beauty and simplicity. the one thing campy did better than shimano!:p;):)

rePhil
03-11-2014, 07:25 AM
I am the opposite. Two bike full Campy with the exception of Dura Ace seatposts.

i'm a dyed-in-the-wool shimano guy but...campy record seatposts with their single bolt and many small teeth angle-adjustment design was a thing of beauty and simplicity. the one thing campy did better than shimano!:p;):)

Climb01742
03-11-2014, 07:29 AM
I am the opposite. Two bike full Campy with the exception of Dura Ace seatposts.

interesting. i still have an in the box NOS dura ace post just because i love the elegance of its design but where i think campy beat it was the number of teeth on the angle adjustment. i found the more, smaller teeth allowed for more precise saddle angle adjustment. each his own.;)

saab2000
03-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Things of beauty indeed. It is too bad they don't make them anymore.

Mine are all 27.2 but the Pacenti has a shim, which I believe is from Cane Creek and is very precise. Works perfectly.

They help to keep a group set whole, though I confess to not using the pedals....

I do use their headsets when possible and these too are becoming rarer as internal/integrated headsets become the norm.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6051/6215205857_3ea93670c1_b.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3094/3206671583_b9e5f4c10b_b.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3123/3165898651_7836284cc4_b.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3527/3463607474_67fb138809_b.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2856/11313103906_d94cb29ccc_b.jpg

FlashUNC
03-11-2014, 07:52 AM

Use a Shimano Ultegra 6500 seatpost on my Della Santa. About the only bit of fishing equipment I use and like.

rodcad
03-11-2014, 08:22 AM
I'm still partial to Nitto posts. Beautiful and they work well.

ZOOMZOOM123
03-11-2014, 09:06 AM

I'm still partial to Nitto everything! Beautiful and they work well.

VA-Scooter
03-11-2014, 09:14 AM
"the one thing Campy did better than Shimano" Did he really put that on this forum ?

93legendti
03-11-2014, 09:53 AM

+1. One bolt, "infinite" adjustment seat posts. Plus, I think Campy's post had more setback than Shimano's post

93legendti
03-11-2014, 09:54 AM

Carbon Lord used to make a carbon post that looked like a dead ringer for Campy's post. Great price as well...not sure if CL still makes the post...not sure if CL is still in biz.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Carbon Lord used to make a carbon post that looked like a dead ringer for Campy's post. Great price as well...not sure if CL still makes the post...not sure if CL is still in biz.

I had that guy threaten to come to Boulder and put me in the hospital....Chicago hood. I mentioned, on another forum the cranks were just Asian copies, he didn't like that.

Took a call to local cop, who called a local cop there, to turn him off.

bikingshearer
03-11-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm still a fan of the old Campy two-bolts-under-the-saddle posts. A PITA to dial in (a 10mm ratcheted closed-end wrench is the key), but infinite adjustability and it will never slip. I came of age when these were "it" for seatposts, and the look of them still does it for me. My second chice is the two-bolt Nitto. Not quite as good-looking to my eye, but the same functinality and easier to dial in.

Too bad Campy is no longer doing seat posts. They were (almost) always drop-dead gorgeous and worked well.

bfd
03-11-2014, 10:38 AM

I have both Campy and DA seatposts. I was luck to find a used Campy Record ti seatpost a few years back. It is pretty light, but probably not any lighter than my DA 7410 seatpost.

I also currently have 2 DA 7410 seatposts. One problem with DA seatpost is that on some of them, the head comes unglue and it starts to pivot. According to a couple of LBSs, that is a common problem for the DA seatpost. In contrast, my old DA 7200 seatpost (one with flutes) didn't have that problem.

I had a shop drill a hole in the broken DA seatpost and put in a bolt to hold the head in place. It works great, but probably added 20g to the post! :eek::mad::butt::bike:

Good Luck!

Shortsocks
03-11-2014, 11:44 AM
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/prelude97si/D1AC5E0D-BCFC-4B88-8187-FE66EFA1B6A0.jpg (http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/prelude97si/media/D1AC5E0D-BCFC-4B88-8187-FE66EFA1B6A0.jpg.html)

To this day the best seatpost I've ever used. Payed a lot for it too...worth every penny. :)

bargainguy
03-11-2014, 12:43 PM
I had that guy threaten to come to Boulder and put me in the hospital....Chicago hood. I mentioned, on another forum the cranks were just Asian copies, he didn't like that.

Took a call to local cop, who called a local cop there, to turn him off.

Ha! OP, we need you to write a book on the seamy underbelly of the cycling biz. Ever given it thought? I'm in for a copy.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Ha! OP, we need you to write a book on the seamy underbelly of the cycling biz. Ever given it thought? I'm in for a copy.

Include a chapter how my biz partner at Vecchio's, whom I have known for 20 years, hired him twice in 2 shops before asking him to be my equal partner, then how he stole from me for a decade, the slimeball.

I kept him from working in the biz from here to his home, Bay Area but a new manager at Performance here and him lying about his past means he has a part time job, liar, thief, fraud.

Flaroc01
03-11-2014, 04:42 PM
I'm a big fan of the old American classic seatposts. They were light and easy to adjust. And I liked the simple design. But don't go past the max height line. Bent one slowly as a kid when I did.

christian
03-11-2014, 04:49 PM
This nay actually be very good example of comparative advantage! Manufacturers we typically think of as traditional stem/bar manufacturers have added seatposts (eg Deda and 3TTT). It's interesting to note that hese companies had their basis in tube manufacture. Clearly, if you're already making bars and stems, a seatpost combining an alloy tube and a machined clamp is not a bridge too far. Similarly, witness Fizik adding first posts and now bars. One assumes stems are close behind.

On the other hand, if you're a manufacturer of complex components, making a post is probably among the least profitable items you can make; it's not an expensive component, the manufacturing isn't similar to machining derailleurs or hubs. Your time is better spent building shifters and derailleurs.

Louis
03-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Things of beauty indeed. It is too bad they don't make them anymore.

Mine are all 27.2 but the Pacenti has a shim, which I believe is from Cane Creek and is very precise. Works perfectly.

Dude, how many different saddle models do you use? Your butt really gets around... ;)

DarkStar
03-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Hang on to your Campy ti posts, becoming expensive vintage items.
http://www.bike-vintage.com/seatpost/1068-seatpost-campagnolo-chorus-titanium-nos-nib-new-size-272-vintage.html

thirdgenbird
03-11-2014, 05:38 PM
I've got one, and really like it, but I'm not a fan of carbon posts in lugged frames. An asymmetric clamp is the way to go.

saab2000
03-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Dude, how many different saddle models do you use? Your butt really gets around... ;)

I'm pretty easy to fit. Mostly the trustworthy 20-year old Turbomatics though.... The Flites have been expunged from the fleet. They worked for me a long time ago but no longer. The Rolls are really nice too. Still trying to figure out if I like the Arione but I did find out I don't like the Aliante, even though they look the same as the Turbomatic.

But at the end of the day I'm pretty flexible. Legs are what matter.

rounder
03-11-2014, 10:49 PM
I know it is only a seat post but agree with saab that it helps complete the set. I just checked ebay and saw plenty of campy seat posts available, but lots of them (old) are going for over $200.

saab2000
03-11-2014, 11:37 PM
I know it is only a seat post but agree with saab that it helps complete the set. I just checked ebay and saw plenty of campy seat posts available, but lots of them (old) are going for over $200.

They're out there though... Publish a WTB and you'll be flooded by people who have these sitting around.

The best of the carbon ones are the Record with the .5mm pitch on the tilt. I had a Chorus Ti one where the saddle I wanted to use was either pointed every so slightly up or ever so slightly down. The ones with the black cradle have twice the notches and it's easier to find the perfect tilt.

FYI....

But now with handlebar and stem manufacturers making seat posts there's still some continuity of a brand on a bike, making it look a bit nicer.

Anyway, Campagnolo ones are out there. The expensive ones are NIB or NOS ones for collectors who have no intention of ever using them or even removing them from their packaging.

pdmtong
03-11-2014, 11:56 PM
The best of the carbon ones are the Record with the .5mm pitch on the tilt.

is it for this reason alone they are revered?

might be sacrilegious but without that factoid I don't see a big delta versus a Easton EC70

saab2000
03-12-2014, 06:29 AM
is it for this reason alone they are revered?

might be sacrilegious but without that factoid I don't see a big delta versus a Easton EC70

They are revered to me because it helps keep a group set complete or nearly complete. But beyond that they're not that much different or 'better' than other seatposts beyond the setback. I don't know how that compares with other brands of seatposts.

They're not 'better' per se. They just add a touch of class to a bike. In my opinion.

Joachim
03-12-2014, 06:50 AM
They're out there though... Publish a WTB and you'll be flooded by people who have these sitting around.

The best of the carbon ones are the Record with the .5mm pitch on the tilt. I had a Chorus Ti one where the saddle I wanted to use was either pointed every so slightly up or ever so slightly down. The ones with the black cradle have twice the notches and it's easier to find the perfect tilt.

I had the same issue with a Chorus Ti with regards to tilt and thought that all Campy posts are like that.

Off to place my WTB!

Columbus SLX
03-12-2014, 06:56 AM
I always keep an eye out for original campy posts, alloy or carbon, on used bikes. The alloy ones are timeless and polish beautifully, and the carbon ones can be compounded or even re-clearcoated to look amazing again. They're out there.

To the OP, I'd love to see them start making posts again. I actually see the situation a little differently in that they can be a high-margin item - the carbon post is just a stock tube, and the forged clamp assembly is pretty simple to make (2 pieces, a bolt, a nut, a bushing).

sandyrs
03-12-2014, 07:27 AM
This nay actually be very good example of comparative advantage! Manufacturers we typically think of as traditional stem/bar manufacturers have added seatposts (eg Deda and 3TTT). It's interesting to note that hese companies had their basis in tube manufacture. Clearly, if you're already making bars and stems, a seatpost combining an alloy tube and a machined clamp is not a bridge too far. Similarly, witness Fizik adding first posts and now bars. One assumes stems are close behind.

On the other hand, if you're a manufacturer of complex components, making a post is probably among the least profitable items you can make; it's not an expensive component, the manufacturing isn't similar to machining derailleurs or hubs. Your time is better spent building shifters and derailleurs.

Fizik makes a stem too!

http://www.backcountry.com/fizik-cyrano-r1-stem

El Chaba
03-12-2014, 07:29 AM
I alwaysliked the Campy seatposts, but strayed away after they went to the final generation with the notches....Sometime in the mid-1990's prior to the introduction of the final design, there was a 1-2 year time period when there was no Campy seatpost offered. When I was building a bike in that time period, I got a Selcof post to complete the build and REALLY liked the clamp design. I have never looked back. Unfortunately, Selcof went under a few years ago so I will have to look for an old one or do something different the next time I am in need of one. Their design was licensed to quite a few others, though and some of them are still using it...(Time, WR Compositi, etc.)

christian
03-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Fizik makes a stem too!As of last night, yeah. :)

bluesea
03-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Fizik makes a stem too!

http://www.backcountry.com/fizik-cyrano-r1-stem

Almost ordered one a few days ago. Didn't like the torx bolts. Like the Colnago friendly 20d angle.

P.S. Had about 3-4 Dura-Ace seatposts. They did not work with the classic Flite's rail angles. One SP head slipped under my 173lb arse.

SP gratification
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8289/7701787694_0285cf4813_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/7701787694/)
DSC00156 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/7701787694/) by pigmode (http://www.flickr.com/people/pigmode/), on Flickr

kirke
03-12-2014, 08:58 AM
What was the lineup of Campy seatposts in the late 90s-early 2000s?

I think there was a Centaur steel post?
Both a Chorus and Record titanium post at one point - what was the difference?
A carbon Record post - two versions - one with a silver and one with black cradle.
Was there a carbon Chorus post too? If so, any difference from the Record one besides the name?

Columbus SLX
03-12-2014, 09:01 AM
What was the lineup of Campy seatposts in the late 90s-early 2000s?

I think there was a Centaur steel post?

Both a Chorus and Record titanium post at one point - what was the difference?

A carbon Record post - two versions - one with a silver and one with black cradle.

Was there a carbon Chorus post too? If so, any difference from the Record one besides the name?

The chorus carbon was basically the older record carbon (with alloy clamp and white shield logo on the back), and came out at the point record went to the carbon clamp. Both had the block style logo at that point.

There was also a steel chorus at one point! I had one.

I have no idea of the difference between the chorus and record ti posts...

bluesea
03-12-2014, 09:43 AM
IIRC in '95 Record went to a round alu shaft, Chorus stayed with the aero shape.

likebikes
03-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Great seatposts.

Johnny P
03-16-2014, 07:15 PM

I'm using my old campy carbon seatpost with an 11 speed bike. :eek:

ZOOMZOOM123
03-16-2014, 08:36 PM
I'm using my old campy carbon seatpost with an 11 speed bike. :eek:

I'm using a carbon one on my 11 speed bike and a Ti one on a 1 speed bike. Whoops! :confused:

rounder
03-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Gonna get a 10-11 speed one to go on my 7 then - 8 speed - then 10 speed bike. Not in to bright shiny stuff. But I like functional stuff that looks good.

Ahneida Ride
03-17-2014, 06:43 AM

Amen ...

StephenCL
03-19-2014, 07:16 AM
IIRC in '95 Record went to a round alu shaft, Chorus stayed with the aero shape.

Chorus got the record post in 95...the older chorus aero post had a different head design. In 1995, the actually trickled down the record post and stamped Chorus around the middle....

bluesea
03-19-2014, 11:38 AM
^ I defer to your superior abilities for recollection .... :D

Ozz
03-19-2014, 01:07 PM
The chorus carbon was basically the older record carbon (with alloy clamp and white shield logo on the back), and came out at the point record went to the carbon clamp. Both had the block style logo at that point.

There was also a steel chorus at one point! I had one.

I have no idea of the difference between the chorus and record ti posts...

similar to what to describe above....the Record post used to be Ti, and when Record went to carbon, the Ti post became the Chorus post.

I have a Record Ti on my CSI, and a Chorus Ti on my Legend...they are virtually indistinguisable