PDA

View Full Version : Rollers and well...Just learning them

mdeeds71
02-03-2006, 05:22 PM
I have just bought some Kreit Rollers :banana: :banana: :banana: and I am looking for some input on how to learn and adjust my spin to ride them... :crap:

Any insight would be great...

Also do you clip in??? The instructions say not to also not to stand...The standing I believe but how do you get a smooth spin without clipping in???

Well look forward to your comments.

stevep
02-03-2006, 05:43 PM
dont look down at the front wheel/ roller.
look straight ahead as if you are on the road.
easier.

FierteTi52
02-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Set them up in a doorway, clip in and pedal smoothly. Don't look down because your bike will steer wherever you focus your attention, so look ahead. Make no sudden moves. forget about standing up and pedaling you are working on a smooth spin.
Good luck,
Jeff

Skrawny
02-03-2006, 06:13 PM
I have been on rollers for about two months now. They have been good for keeping my problematic hamstring loose during the week when I can't get out to ride, but they have been great for my form.

my suggestions from someone who has just learned:
-I clipped in from the start
-start in a hallway or at least a doorjam where you can support yourself if things start getting uncorrectable. My hall was narrow enough that I could just stick out an elbow if I got too close to the side
-don't try to steer with your hands, use your hips.
-concentrate on keeping your center very quiet
-I haven't even thought about trying to stand yet

There were a few good threads on this topic in this forum within the last year...

good luck!
-s

djg
02-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah, clip in. I don't recall the instructions, although I believe I've probably seen them. For all I know some folks find it disconcerting to clip in before they're used to the rollers, but it seems to me that if you're used to pedaling clipped in when you ride on the road (and you should be) then doing something new is liable to be a distraction you don't need.

If you're wobbly or unstable starting out, find a way to support yourself. Lots of folks like the doorway method (do a search), because it enables them to use their elbows as a means of gaining momentary support and stability when needed without actually bailing. When you bail, you don't learn much, except how to bail. When you keep riding, you get the hang of it. Once you get the hang of it, you don't need the doorway anymore. The doorway minimizes your down time and mitigates the error part of the trial and error method. Faster learning, fewer (ideally zero) injuries.

Other folks may have useful drills for refining your stroke or even just suggestions for good coaches in your area. It seems to me that rollers reinforce a smooth spin, quiet upper body, and (reasonably) straight line--in fact you can think of them as a sort of bio-feedback mechanism in that they penalize certain behaviors with a decided and visceral feeling of instability. You might really like rollers (as I do) for those reasons, among others, but still be left needing coaching to help you optimize your form. A cycling coach is one of many things that I'm not.

jcmuellner
02-03-2006, 10:06 PM
I clip in days, and the other suggestions are very good. It takes some different mind set than being on the road, but it's a way of making circles if you're pinned to the homefront. I like it most times, though it takes me about 10-15 minutes to get the feeling like I can keep going, starting out always drags for me. (I have never gone past an hour yet). After a half dozen times, you'll find a decent spin and it's not much different from what you would do on a flat road with no wind, only gears make the effort. Just don't let your mind wander off 'cause your bike will soon follow.

I'd rather be on the road, but when my daughter is home and I can't go out, it works! Lots of music helps.

swalburn
02-03-2006, 10:22 PM
I've had kreitlers for about two years, and I've probably got over 700 miles on them. I can't remember the last time I went off them while riding. I can ride with one hand easily, and no hands for very short periods. I can stand and ride on them, but find it very difficult. I basically only stand when my butt gets sore. Actually, I logged 100 miles on them just this week. I honestly probably have more than 1000 miles on them now that I think about it. I don't even think about them when I'm on them. I just turn up the ipod and imagine I'm doing a time trial. When I first got them, I hated them so much. It is so tough at first, but it gets easier. I am relatively novice cyclist, but I went in my a fit a while back, and all the fitter would talk about is what a nice pedal stroke I have. I told him I log a lot of miles on rollers, and he said that explains it.

Just a side not: I wanted a trainer a lot when I went to the bike store. The owners basically ganged up on me and convinced me to get the rollers instead. It was a tough sell. I really wanted the trainer and thought the rollers were stupid. I hate to admit it but they were probably right. I still don't have that trainer.

manet
02-03-2006, 10:31 PM
don't spin _ place it in a gear that gives a fair amount
tension, with a lowish cadence. spinning just gets it all
squirrely, at least for a tyro.

doctorbike
02-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Rollers will smoothness and balance. As the other threads have said, use a hallway to help hold yourself up. Spin smoothly; try to relax and move all brakeable stuff away, you'll see the ground once or twice until you get the hang of it.

The bike handling skills you learn on the rollers will save you skin and injuries by avoiding accidents on the road.

Good Luck.

Skrawny
02-04-2006, 12:26 AM
I prefer the first albums of U2 to listen to on rollers. Not the new stuff, the old school stuff works great for the cadence...
-s

Cadence230
02-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Also do you clip in??? The instructions say not to also not to stand...The standing I believe but how do you get a smooth spin without clipping in???

Well look forward to your comments.
Have you ever ridden on pedals without clips? Of course you have. As a child or teen but try it as an adult cyclist. It smooths ya out good. You have to concentrate BIG TIME. And you'll feel the pedal cycle dead spots much easier. You can especially off-road because the terrain inconsistencies cause you to go "light" on the pedals. It is actually quite scarry. Shines and calves be damned!
Try standing after a while too if you canand try to to let go of the bars while standing. This will give you a muscle tension workout you will have to experience to believe! Which helps that "dancing on the pedals" feeling. If only fleeting.

keno
02-04-2006, 07:09 AM
have been mentioned. I think that an additional skill that the rollers can be used to develop is to learn to control the instinct for the eyes' dominance in determining bike direction. (I now find that I can look down at the front roller and at various areas to the front and sides with comfort. I wish I could say, but cannot, that I can look over my shoulder. Can't ride them with eyes closed, either.) This is a great skill to have, as there are times when you want to ride a straight line but be looking elsewhere, as in pacelining or racing. In the Air Products Program at Trexlertown we were taught the drill of riding the front and back straights while looking back over our shoulders. Tough to do, particularly for someone who struggles with riding by feel.

keno