PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds the cyclist?

KJMUNC
03-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

But at least he's investing in the sport. Any SF forumites seen him on the roads?

http://blog.sfgate.com/killion/2014/03/10/barry-bonds-avid-cyclist-and-cycling-investor/

EvanTA
03-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Cycling is the most drug infested sport of them all?

ptourkin
03-10-2014, 05:54 PM
He's been cycling for a while. He's noticeably thinner and favors Pinnarellos.

This is his girlfriend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari_Holden

She's also the local Louis Garneau rep.

pbarry
03-10-2014, 06:51 PM

Seems like some good changes for one who was pumped up and terse and/or angry during his career. Cycling is good therapy.

Elefantino
03-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Saw him at the top of Mt. Diablo last year at the ToC.

Mari Holden was a great racer. She's had a LOT of work done since she retired. A lot.

pbarry
03-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Saw him at the top of Mt. Diablo last year at the ToC.

Mari Holden was a great racer. She's had a LOT of work done since she retired. A lot.

That's just sad. She looked great back then.

ceewho
03-10-2014, 07:44 PM
I want to drop him on a climb...

Just to say I did. I guess I'll have to ride Mt. Tam more often.

cnighbor1
03-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Any SF forumites seen him (Bonds)on the roads?
I am always amazed when a person I know while riding with him or her stops riding, takes off the dark sunglasses, helmet, etc. and I see them in real life.
So to recognize anyone on the bicycle is almost impossible unless you know them both on and off the bicycle. Bonds being black would help some in seeing him but that is it. the big item is he has loss a lot of that weight he had play baseball.

enr1co
03-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Saw him at the Livermore start of the TOC and he was mellow enough to do a selfie together. Not a big baseball fan but think it's cool that he's been bit by the cycling bug and appreciates how demanding a sport it is.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/photo_006.JPG

KF9YR
03-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Barry and Mari rode the Tour de Tucson a few years ago.

They started up front with the other celebrities and the cyclists that qualified for a Platinum starting position (as Mari would have as a former pro).

My buddy and I caught up to them and rode in the same group for 30 miles or so. She was a very strong rider (no surprise), he was also a strong rider on the flats but was still a big guy and had to work hard on the hills.

She took turns pulling the group, he followed her lead. I'm pretty sure he was a fairly new cyclist at that time.

He didn't talk, she chatted a little, they didn't mention who they were just rode their bikes in the group. I didn't realize who they were until after the ride when I saw the pictures of them at the start.

They stopped at a rest stop that we passed by and I didn't see them again.

I looked up the results afterwards and he finished less than 10 minutes after we did so he averaged around 19.5 for 109-112 miles (not sure on the distance that year).

They were both riding Pinarellos and she was looking good in a white Assos kit.

Dave Ferris
03-11-2014, 12:56 AM

Jezz..what happened to his wife ?! It didn't seem all that long ago when I played at his wedding reception at the SF Ritz Carlton. He must've dropped at least 200K on that night, if not more. Oh well, out with the old..in with the new I guess.:rolleyes:

Bruce K
03-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Divorced in 2011

BK

jpw
03-11-2014, 05:31 AM

i've never taken drugs.

cycling is the whipping boy for the media machine that has so much invested in keeping the truth about other sports off the agenda.

Fixed
03-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Mari Holden, a former world champion is his partner ,
He gsts great coaching
Cheers

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 07:16 AM

I don't think so. The 'ball' sports, with their player's unions, not only dope, but aren't interested in fixing the problem. The problem with these sports is deep. Players, owners, managers, GMs, media, sports writers. $billions involved, cycling is a sliver in comparison.

Bonds and his ilk, Sosa, McGuire, Clements are as dirty as the day is long. Rodriquez.....

But, spring training! Gonna watch it, watched cycling in the 90s also, stopped doping in 2005, right?

redir
03-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Levi Leipheimer’s GrandFondo LOL

Birds of a feather and all that.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Levi Leipheimer’s GrandFondo LOL

Birds of a feather and all that.

'Cept Levi is still making $ from cycling, well I guess BB is too. Don't understand how a young hitter can put up with his BS. W/o juice he never would have hit 762(?). He remains unrepentant. At least Levi spilled his guts.

Spin71
03-11-2014, 08:29 AM
'Cept Levi is still making $ from cycling, well I guess BB is too. Don't understand how a young hitter can put up with his BS. W/o juice he never would have hit 762(?). He remains unrepentant. At least Levi spilled his guts.

I can't stomach Barry Bonds, but he was on a Hall of Fame path before dope. Levi would be riding crits in Cali without dope. Good for him spilling his guts, after he got popped.

Mr. Pink
03-11-2014, 08:30 AM
He was one of the, if not the, greatest players in baseball. Amazing talent. Then he saw how white America went all ga ga over Mark Mcguire's home run record, and probably thought, oh yeah? Gimme that needle. Sorta like Ty Cobb watching Babe Ruth get all the love, when he thought he was the better overall player. Maybe he would have gotten away with it a little better if he didn't make so many enemies in the press box. It wasn't hard for them to turn on him, after the way he treated them most of his career. Not that he didn't deserve it.

RedRider
03-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Barry Bonds Back in Giants Uniform...
http://blog.sfgate.com/killion/2014/03/10/barry-bonds-back-in-giants-uniform/#21397101=0

Rada
03-11-2014, 09:39 AM
I don't think so. The 'ball' sports, with their player's unions, not only dope, but aren't interested in fixing the problem. The problem with these sports is deep. Players, owners, managers, GMs, media, sports writers. $billions involved, cycling is a sliver in comparison.

Bonds and his ilk, Sosa, McGuire, Clements are as dirty as the day is long. Rodriquez.....

But, spring training! Gonna watch it, watched cycling in the 90s also, stopped doping in 2005, right?

Add Selig to the list of those who knew what was going on. After the last MLB strike baseball was dying. It took the big home run races to get the fans back. Everyone knew why those big numbers were being produced, but the bottom line was much more important. So much for the integrity of the game.

Black Dog
03-11-2014, 11:57 AM
I can't stomach Barry Bonds, but he was on a Hall of Fame path before dope. Levi would be riding crits in Cali without dope. Good for him spilling his guts, after he got popped.

Nonsense. Levi would still have been with the best if they were all clean. Don't kid yourself if you think dope turns mules into thoroughbreds. Not defending the dopers or their rational for doping but the results would be more or less the same with or without dope, assuming that most were doping.

harlond
03-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Don't understand how a young hitter can put up with his BS. W/o juice he never would have hit 762(?).As parody, nicely done.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Nonsense. Levi would still have been with the best if they were all clean. Don't kid yourself if you think dope turns mules into thoroughbreds. Not defending the dopers or their rational for doping but the results would be more or less the same with or without dope, assuming that most were doping.

Agree and the thing that pisses me off about BB was that he WAS on track to be HOF player, then he doped, the dope.

hockeybike
03-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Agree and the thing that pisses me off about BB was that he WAS on track to be HOF player, then he doped, the dope.

The assumption there is that all respond uniformly to the same doping. Might not be true.

ptourkin
03-11-2014, 12:48 PM
His hat size increased over an inch from his slim Pittsburgh years to his bulky SF self. Cranial growth is said to be a sign of HGH.
He was an incredible talent as two different types of players. His longevity benefited by becoming a straight power hitter but he was able to field well enough to stay in the National League.

Mr. Pink
03-11-2014, 01:09 PM
But he wasn't just a power hitter. Amazing hitter. OBP was off the charts in the final years. One of the few men to be walked by an opposing manager with bases loaded.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-05-30/sports/9805300170_1_barry-bonds-hands-bill-nicholson-bases

Rada
03-11-2014, 01:23 PM
He was an amazing liar and cheat. Hopefully he'll never be in the Hall.

pdmtong
04-13-2014, 02:49 PM
I spoke to him Friday at Sea Otter. He looks in great shape. Hard to miss a big guy like that with a shaved head making his way through the crowd. No posse. Just a few friends. like the rest of us in the Specialized and Garmin booth.

bluesea
04-13-2014, 03:04 PM
^ It was fun watching him perform at Candlestick.

bobswire
04-13-2014, 03:13 PM
^ It was fun watching him perform at Candlestick.

Yes it was and if not for him the Giants would not have a beautiful stadium. Funny thing is he may have been considered up there with Mays within baseball lore without Peds. He may have hit 150 less home runs but his fielding and defense would have carried him to glory anyway.
I'm glad to see he found another passion like cycling and seems to have found peace within himself.

Tony T
04-13-2014, 03:15 PM
His hat size increased over an inch from his slim Pittsburgh years to his bulky SF self.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/1213/mag_bonds_hof_576.jpg

And he still holds the single-season home run record (with McGwire in 2nd).
That's one record that will never be broken, sorta like 7 consecutive TDF wins :)

bobswire
04-13-2014, 07:50 PM

That's one record that will never be broken, sorta like 7 consecutive TDF wins :)

For that I give Baseball Credit, they just threw out the bathwater "without the baby" since everyone knows it was dirty. .

oldpotatoe
04-14-2014, 06:33 AM

Be sure to include this when you talk about their 'records'...