PDA

View Full Version : OT: Reputable audio repair in Pittsburgh?

keevon
03-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Long shot here, but do any Pittsburghers have recommendations for an audio repair shop in town? I have a Harman Kardon receiver that my daughter loves turning on and off repeatedly - which apparently fried the switch.

Thanks in advance!

rice rocket
03-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Electronics are easy, especially when you know exactly what the problem is. Most will have a part number stamped on it, search on Mouser/Newark/Digikey for the replacement.

fuzzalow
03-10-2014, 02:47 PM
The devil is in the details. "Fried" switch can mean the switch won't stay depressed in the "on" position because the switch is broken mechanically from abuse but the unit still powers on. That's ideal because the fault is squarely at the switch and you can look for a part number on the switch, as suggested earlier. As long as it it is solid state electronics there will not be lethal voltages inside the unit like found in tube gear so it is safe to look around.

If its not that, lots of other stuff to look at.

Don't know how old the receiver is. The repair is trickier if a newer unit where most is everything surface mounted to the PCB or subassembly. But still possibly fixable. If vintage, then very repairable - stuff wasn't made as throwaway back then.

Very few places left that repair modern hi-fi gear and if they do, on anything less than a top-line piece, it is tough to justify the cost of a repair.

Peter P.
03-10-2014, 03:58 PM
I know this isn't Pittsburgh, but I've had equipment repaired by Stereo Surgeons in East Hartford CT (http://www.stereosurgeons.com/) with great success.

rwsaunders
03-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Kevan...here are two resources worth trying. Galaxie is in Squirrel Hill and I believe that they are associated with the old Opus One Sound group in Shadyside. Call the fellows at Pianos N Stuff in Blawknox as well and ask them if they can direct you to the people who do their repair work. If you haven't been in their shop and you are into musical instruments, it's worth the trip.

http://galaxieelectronics.com

http://www.nstuffmusic.com

PS my kids did the same thing to my old McIntosh amp and tuner when they were your daughter's age. They were sold to a gypsie family shortly thereafter and I regret it a little bit. Don't be too harsh.

keevon
03-10-2014, 06:59 PM
The devil is in the details.
That's the problem here. Technically, the switch still supplies power to the unit, but when I turn it on I get a repeated clicking at half-second intervals:

CLICK...click...CLICK...click...CLICK...click...CL ICK...click...

And so on. It's a 10+ year old Harman Kardon, not high end by any means, but it has sentimental value to my wife. That said, we're not going to pay the equivalent of a new receiver to keep the old one going.

keevon
03-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Kevan...here are two resources worth trying. *snip*

PS my kids did the same thing to my old McIntosh amp and tuner when they were your daughter's age. They were sold to a gypsie family shortly thereafter and I regret it a little bit. Don't be too harsh.

Bob - Thanks for the recommendations, I'll give Galaxie a shot. While my daughter isn't in danger of being sold off (yet), my pets have come damn close before. Caught the cat using my father-in-law's Magneplanars as a scratching post a few years back...