PDA

View Full Version : lubricant for DT Swiss 240S hub service

sparky33
03-10-2014, 09:19 AM
My rear DT 240S is sluggish and sticky when freewheeling, so I'm going to take it apart to service it. Never done it, but the online directions look straight forward.

Q: What do I use for lubricant? Can I use a normal multi-purpose grease like Phil's? Is it worth buying the $20 jar of DT Swiss ratchet grease?

cfox
03-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Phil's is way too sticky. A pro mechanic I know and trust swears Slick Honey is the best grease for DT hubs. Should be cheaper, and more useful overall, than the $20 thimble of DT pink grease. Some guys just use mobil one oil, but I'm guessing it would last too long before the rings got noisy again.

fjaws
03-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Phil's is way too thick for that application and you'll get intermittent engagement at best. Search the web and you'll find numerous stories of folks thinning their favorite greases with some type of chain lube or oil. If you're planning to keep the hub, I'd just splurge on the real stuff....works great every time.

sparky33
03-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Yeah maybe I'll get the Slick Honey or real DT grease... Is that something other hubs can use? I have some White I. and some Shimano hubs too.

In general, do mechanics choose different grease products for different brands of hubs?

wallymann
03-10-2014, 11:12 AM
almost like peanut-butter -- stiffness makes is probably not the best grease for a FH, but it does work OK as long as you dont overload.

most OEMs and seasoned wrenches recommend something a little lighter more easy-flowing (but nowhere near runny).

lhuerta
03-10-2014, 11:14 AM
The DT Swiss grease is nice, but any light lithium will work just fine...even a thin coat of oil (like Phils Tenacious will work too)...don't over think it, but do remember that only a very light application is needed, otherwise your star ratchets will feel sticky. Lou

Chief
03-10-2014, 12:57 PM
I've used white lithium grease sparingly.

oldpotatoe
03-10-2014, 01:22 PM
I've used white lithium grease sparingly.

Or mix white lithium with Mobil one.

Dude
03-10-2014, 01:49 PM
We're all kind of coming to the same conclusion, don't use the straight white lithium without cutting as oldpotatoe suggests. Finish Line wet always worked well for me.

I test it in the following way:
take it apart, clean parts.
- take one ratchet (by itself, no springs, etc) lube it up.
- take second ratchet (by itself, no springs, etc) and put the faces together, as if they were engaging in the hub.
- if they stick together, as in you have to pull them apart with your fingers - then your lube is to viscous/sticky.

PS use an oil, not a grease. Also no dry or wax lubes. Don't use tri-flow either.

SPOKE
03-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Chris King freehub lube. Right thickness. Works on Shimano, Mavic & campy equally well.

Steve530
03-10-2014, 05:40 PM
I had trouble finding the special grease 4 years ago. I emailed DT Swiss to ask what I should use. They replied "any light synthetic grease will do." I finally found the special grease. It does work very well.

vqdriver
03-10-2014, 05:53 PM
how big a difference does it make? i have many many more miles on one set of 240s than another, but mine are both pretty loud anyway